"Killing Console Builds" Not Really..

JLCitadel

I feel as members of the educated computer peoples of the interwebs we should informs the console peasants properly.

(We need to realize, that a 500-600$ build will not give a better gaming experience than the consoles)

While these builds are perfectly fine and you can play plenty of games at decent settings depending on where you put the bulk of your money into, you have to remember that games are made to preform better on the consoles. At least the ones for it, and games built for the PC will generally (at least I'd like to think so) be a lot more difficult to run.

Convincing a friend to build a 500$ computer as opposed to a console is probably a bad idea.

When you buy a console you're not just buying the system you're buying a lot of the experience of gaming that comes with it. Now we can all argue many different things, like building an HTPC or using emulators or hooking up a controller to your pc, but at the end of the day, what the average person does is buy pre-built computers and consoles, and they're perfectly happy with them.

Personally no matter how much I love pc gaming and how incredibly good I am at it, there truly is no experience like kicking it back on a couch picking up a controller and playing a few games with friends. 30 Frames on a console =/ 30 Frames on a game on a pc. While I'll always be a hardcore pc gamer and hardware enthusiast soon to be watercooling like a crazy man, I'll always love the feel of a controller and the experience of the living room with it.

tldr; don't try to convince your friends not to buy a console, just convince them to wait till they're debugged in several months, and maybe pick up a decent laptop for school work that can also play normal games like BF4 and LoL or whatever with decent settings. Also note, a 500$ PC won't provide the same experience even though it may provide the same or better performance as the console.

I'm personally still unsure if I'll get one or not, maybe eventually? I don't even like paying for games so not sure :). I'm aware my grammars atrocious lol & what do you all have to say about this?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An R9 270 does not shit on a PS4 either.

Rant over.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Rant over.

I don't really like this series from amd. I feel like they could've done better, and they focused on making two sets of nearly identical cards, instead of making just one amazing set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really like this series from amd.

Regardless of liking, nobody who is clued up makes a retarded statement like what i posted, i will not point fingers though.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

agreed 

PC is terrible at 5-600 dollars (IMO) but the more you invest up until around diminishing returns at ~1400 the value of the PC completely obliterates a console twice over for twice the price (possibly cheaper in the long run if you play a lot of games) ignoring the fact that the PC can do so much more and is upgradable etc. [standard PC gaming master race propaganda] 

Error: 410

Regardless of liking, nobody who is clued up makes a retarded statement like what i posted, i will not point fingers though.

I know I was in the same thread & it's probably just an honest mistake. Even when people make incorrect statements, it's part of our job as a community to educate each other and shed light & reasoning with them. If someone thinks one thing when in truth it's another, just explain to them why then from there if they choose to believe you they do if not they don't, but you shared your knowledge and reason and that's all you can really do in the end of the day :)

I feel as members of the educated computer peoples of the interwebs we should informs the console peasants properly.

(We need to realize, that a 500-600$ build will not give a better gaming experience than the consoles)

While these builds are perfectly fine and you can play plenty of games at decent settings depending on where you put the bulk of your money into, you have to remember that games are made to preform better on the consoles. At least the ones for it, and games built for the PC will generally (at least I'd like to think so) be a lot more difficult to run.

Convincing a friend to build a 500$ computer as opposed to a console is probably a bad idea.

When you buy a console you're not just buying the system you're buying a lot of the experience of gaming that comes with it. Now we can all argue many different things, like building an HTPC or using emulators or hooking up a controller to your pc, but at the end of the day, what the average person does is buy pre-built computers and consoles, and they're perfectly happy with them.

Personally no matter how much I love pc gaming and how incredibly good I am at it, there truly is no experience like kicking it back on a couch picking up a controller and playing a few games with friends. 30 Frames on a console =/ 30 Frames on a game on a pc. While I'll always be a hardcore pc gamer and hardware enthusiast soon to be watercooling like a crazy man, I'll always love the feel of a controller and the experience of the living room with it.

tldr; don't try to convince your friends not to buy a console, just convince them to wait till they're debugged in several months, and maybe pick up a decent laptop for school work that can also play normal games like BF4 and LoL or whatever with decent settings. Also note, a 500$ PC won't provide the same experience even though it may provide the same or better performance as the console.

I'm personally still unsure if I'll get one or not, maybe eventually? I don't even like paying for games so not sure :). I'm aware my grammars atrocious lol & what do you all have to say about this?

The fact that you got "atrocious" in your vocabulary states that your grammar is not so :)

Vene though mine probably is since I am Norwegian ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

When you take into account optimisation it's probably as good as a 7970/280X, which is decent, but will be far obsolete in 2 years. I very much agree with the OP though.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

If you can get good parts for a good price, then maybe you can get close. But, the consoles are in a good position.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

"Personally no matter how much I love pc gaming and how incredibly good I am at it, there truly is no experience like kicking it back on a couch picking up a controller and playing a few games with friends" 

I do the same thing on pc. 

I totally agree with you, pc cannot replace the feeling of a console. That means you can't "kill" a console. People need to look at console vs pc in a different way

The fact that you got "atrocious" in your vocabulary states that your grammar is not so :)

Vene though mine probably is since I am Norwegian ;)

Oh my vernacular is magnificent but my usage of commas and spelling can be horrid sometimes haha mostly because I'm lazy about it

"Personally no matter how much I love pc gaming and how incredibly good I am at it, there truly is no experience like kicking it back on a couch picking up a controller and playing a few games with friends" 

I do the same thing on pc. 

As do I but it's still a different experience. & The way you meet people and how you play and who you play with is different. Also the way you go through the process of gaming and entertainment in general. I do agree I do a lot of the same stuff on PC but the group of friends I have on pc and console is completely different as well as the way people act and what people consider important while gaming.

If you can get good parts for a good price, then maybe you can get close. But, the consoles are in a good position.

True although that will change in about 18 months, but the experience that you get with them is different.

When you take into account optimisation it's probably as good as a 7970/280X, which is decent, but will be far obsolete in 2 years. I very much agree with the OP though.

Maybe even sooner then that, hopefully the concept of steambox kicks off, or nvidia grid/streaming locally. I'd love to have one powerful build and then a few that run off of it.

I totally agree with you, pc cannot replace the feeling of a console. That means you can't "kill" a console. People need to look at console vs pc in a different way

I think people forget sometimes it's not just a war of specifications, it's like comparing two GPU's as linus said in his video, the specifications maybe be different or better, but how they preform and the experience you get can only be known by actually playing on it.

Yes i agree it wont add to the graphics much and what not but all the things you can do on PC such as mods and emulators and all that i think really adds to the appeal of PC over console. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I agree that people claiming a $500 PC is better than a $500 console are misguided.  It simply isn't.

An 8 year old Xbox 360 runs Battlefield 4.  An 8 year old $500 PC wouldn't even run Windows 7.  I know there's much more to it than longevity, but for people on a tight budget that's probably one of the major factors.

I mean, I personally believe spending $800 or so on a PC up front is a far better investment than a console, and you'd save money on games and services in the long run.  But not everyone games like I do.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Not everyone cares for generic 720p pew pew, though. I use my PC to do all sorts of things a console could never achieve.

Yes i agree it wont add to the graphics much and what not but all the things you can do on PC such as mods and emulators and all that i think really adds to the appeal of PC over console. 

That can be true, but don't forget the "ease of experience", most people have NO IDEA where to begin with doing mods and emulators, while it's not complicated, they'd rather not be bothered figuring it out.

A good analogy might be a comparison to people who cook at home as opposed to those who eat out all the time.

You cook at home you save money and you can potentially make it better then when you eat out.

Eating out is easier, but more expensive, but a lot of people choose this over cooking.

(Not an amazing analogy, definitely faults in it but you can grasp the main point of my argument)

I agree that people claiming a $500 PC is better than a $500 console are misguided.  It simply isn't.

An 8 year old Xbox 360 runs Battlefield 4.  An 8 year old $500 PC wouldn't even run Windows 7.  I know there's much more to it than longevity, but for people on a tight budget that's probably one of the major factors.

I mean, I personally believe spending $800 or so on a PC up front is a far better investment than a console, and you'd save money on games and services in the long run.  But not everyone games like I do.

I'd honestly say if you only have 800$ I'd buy a chromebook & console. Chromebook for schoolwork and console for gaming. But that's what I'd do :). I spend 800$ on peripherals alone lol

I think its mental...I know console gamers and pc gamers, its all the same as far as friends go. The only real difference I have noticed in the 2 groups as far as gaming goes from my teen years to now adulthood is that most pc gamers use to console game but very few console gamers have been pc gamers. 

Either way its all good man, get your game on. 

I think consoles would get a better rep from PC enthusiasts if they stop being pushed as "next-gen". That simple fact alone irks the crap out of me considering my monitor of a few years runs at 1920x1200 natively..and new console games are still stick in 720p for a decent portion of titles. If consoles learned to stay in their role instead of being marketed as a PC-wannabe, I'm sure console gamers today would get far less flack than they do.

My first console was the NES and my favorite consoles of all time are a tie between the SNES and N64. Back then a gaming console focused on playing games. Nothing more, nothing less. The worst we had was the bits war, but we didn't have fanboys screaming it's just as good as PC graphics or PC gamers looking down on console gamers. This is why I'm a fan of Nintendo. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo isn't pretending to be something its not.

my current build comes in at under £300 when i built it last year, there was lots of second hand (buy brand new) parts but as yet despite all the "pc gaming costs more but is better" try and show me a console that costs this much and performs better..
not going to give accurate values in case i sell the parts on, i get things cheap and often sell for a small profit (but still cheap) but your going to have to take my word on it.

phenom2 x2 555-unlocked to quad core and mild overclocked=£60
m5a78l-m/usb3=£60, can now be had for £55ish
8gb of corsair vengeance=£35 when i bought it, can still get ram cheap second hand, i got 8gb for £25 other day from a friend.
7770-can be bought for £65, I swapped it for a gtx260 which is still a great card.
antec truepower 550w modular PSU-not going to say how much it cost me but it was CHEAP but it isnt a cheap powersupply, equivilant costs around £60
antec h620-was new £60, bought off my friend a month later for £20
sharkoon t9-awesome case in general, a steal for £55

for those of you adding it up, yes it comes over £300 but just believe me I didnt pay that for these parts... the thing with pc's is you can buy and sell parts to fund further upgrades, im selling my phenom 960t that im not using, the money from it will likely buy me a 8320...
with a console you buy it and then you can either sell it as a whole or keep it...thats it, your either taking a huge financial hit selling it straight away or you have massive depreciation, who wants to buy an xbox 360 or ps3 now? theyre like £50 which is cheap but games look and run so bad as to be unplayable, even my console playing friends are agreeing with this (massive cod fans may i add)

so they can either buy a console for £400+/- or build a pc around the same price.
in 5 years the pc might need a new card for £130 but atleast he can still game on it, whats a console going to be like in 5 years? im guessing the first year or 2 will be ironing out all the RROD and YROD/HDMI/optical issues only then can people get gaming on them, then 5 years later theyre playing another call of duty/halo remake at 30fps@720p or if theyre very luck 30fps at 1600x900.

in said 5 year most pc gamers will be at 4K60fps with the "low end gamers" sticking to either 4K30fps (slow paged good looking games) or 1080p fast paced games or something in between.
using the £400-500pc example mentioned earlier, my pc buddies will likely still be playing at 1080p on medium/high on thier r7-270's, games dont advance that much because we get most of the same titles off console, albeit better looking and more enjoyable.
even if my friend's card cant keep up, he can sell it for £40 and put that towards a modern £150 that CAN do 4K30fps or 1080p 60fps (or more if he wants to put more cash into it)..
...whats a colon player going to do? buy a slim version?

edit; for the couch player...my console

IMG808

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

I think consoles would get a better rep from PC enthusiasts if they stop being pushed as "next-gen". That simple fact alone irks the crap out of me considering my monitor of a few years runs at 1920x1200 natively..and new console games are still stick in 720p for a decent portion of titles. If consoles learned to stay in their role instead of being marketed as a PC-wannabe, I'm sure console gamers today would get far less flack than they do.

My first console was the NES and my favorite consoles of all time are a tie between the SNES and N64. Back then a gaming console focused on playing games. Nothing more, nothing less. The worst we had was the bits war, but we didn't have fanboys screaming it's just as good as PC graphics or PC gamers looking down on console gamers. This is why I'm a fan of Nintendo. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo isn't pretending to be something its not.

First point, I agree.

Yes but nintendo turned into a casual gaming console which I don't enjoy AS much. + they put too much enphasis on motion sensing technology which to me is annoying to deal with. I prefered nintendo till wii u and there new handhelds + ps 1 and ps2 then xbox. Now if I had to pick I'd roll with ps4. Maybe nintendo will kick it's ass into gear with a new console that will blow the others out of the water with native 1080p 60frames and cost 300$

Console is named that because that way console peasants can be 'consoled' because they don't have a good pc, but can comfort themselves with the thought (thus consoling done by the console) that they have a console.

Jokes aside, I guess it comes down to what kind of gamer you are and what sort of controls you like more

Kick back with a few friends on the couch and play an FPS? Console is for you!

Serious MMO's! Pc!

Or both if you do both.

my current build comes in at under £300 when i built it last year, there was lots of second hand (buy brand new) parts but as yet despite all the "pc gaming costs more but is better" try and show me a console that costs this much and performs better..

not going to give accurate values in case i sell the parts on, i get things cheap and often sell for a small profit (but still cheap) but your going to have to take my word on it.

phenom2 x2 555-unlocked to quad core and mild overclocked=£60

m5a78l-m/usb3=£60, can now be had for £55ish

8gb of corsair vengeance=£35 when i bought it, can still get ram cheap second hand, i got 8gb for £25 other day from a friend.

7770-can be bought for £65, I swapped it for a gtx260 which is still a great card.

antec truepower 550w modular PSU-not going to say how much it cost me but it was CHEAP but it isnt a cheap powersupply, equivilant costs around £60

antec h620-was new £60, bought off my friend a month later for £20

sharkoon t9-awesome case in general, a steal for £55

for those of you adding it up, yes it comes over £300 but just believe me I didnt pay that for these parts... the thing with pc's is you can buy and sell parts to fund further upgrades, im selling my phenom 960t that im not using, the money from it will likely buy me a 8320...

with a console you buy it and then you can either sell it as a whole or keep it...thats it, your either taking a huge financial hit selling it straight away or you have massive depreciation, who wants to buy an xbox 360 or ps3 now? theyre like £50 which is cheap but games look and run so bad as to be unplayable, even my console playing friends are agreeing with this (massive cod fans may i add)

so they can either buy a console for £400+/- or build a pc around the same price.

in 5 years the pc might need a new card for £130 but atleast he can still game on it, whats a console going to be like in 5 years? im guessing the first year or 2 will be ironing out all the RROD and YROD/HDMI/optical issues only then can people get gaming on them, then 5 years later theyre playing another call of duty/halo remake at 30fps@720p or if theyre very luck 30fps at 1600x900.

in said 5 year most pc gamers will be at 4K60fps with the "low end gamers" sticking to either 4K30fps (slow paged good looking games) or 1080p fast paced games or something in between.

using the £400-500pc example mentioned earlier, my pc buddies will likely still be playing at 1080p on medium/high on thier r7-270's, games dont advance that much because we get most of the same titles off console, albeit better looking and more enjoyable.

even if my friend's card cant keep up, he can sell it for £40 and put that towards a modern £150 that CAN do 4K30fps or 1080p 60fps (or more if he wants to put more cash into it)..

...whats a colon player going to do? buy a slim version?

edit; for the couch player...my console

If we have 4k with 60fps within 5 years, I'll come back and fap to your comment, till then.

& actually this was a good point to raise, it made me have an idea, what if the newer iterations of the consoles come in at higher fps/resolution instead of a slimer version? I think it would be a great choice to make as a company but a difficult one to do.

Console is named that because that way console peasants can be 'consoled' because they don't have a good pc, but can comfort themselves with the thought (thus consoling done by the console) that they have a console.

Jokes aside, I guess it comes down to what kind of gamer you are and what sort of controls you like more

Kick back with a few friends on the couch and play an FPS? Console is for you!

Serious MMO's! Pc!

Or both if you do both.

What about serious shooters :'(?