Bug in macOS High Sierra Exposes Passwords of Encrypted APFS Volumes in Plain Text

26 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

And yet Microsoft somehow decided an ARM-based tablet running "Windows" was a good idea, same with Windows 10 S...

Or go back to the 90's when Cyrix made a decent P5 competitor and used a 486-era FPU which killed the chip in some applications and was really the beginning of the end for them.

Or how about AMD relying on a CPU which wasn't a whole lot better than its predecessor for so long that it was hilarious?

Every company pulls a Dumbo and trips up.

I think Intel giving up the opportunity to make iphone CPUs is hard to top.

6 minutes ago, xentropa said:

I think Intel giving up the opportunity to make iphone CPUs is hard to top.

I think we're all still thinking too small honestly... think how well Microsoft was doing in the 90s.  If they were actually visionaries in the slightest, they would have seen where things were going and basically became everything google is today, in addition to what they already had.  Now that's a big missed opportunity.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

you could go on and on, but we all know MS are infallible and only produce absolute precision products that are above reproach.  So I will just ignore the harsh and unfair things you say. 

20 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think the truth is their best engineers have actually moved over to the mobile division and so their desktop OS is lacking... Level1Techs have mentioned this numerous times in the past when there have been other stories of issues with MacOS

I wondered why there are more people complaining about iphones recently.  They should have just hired the WP team and kept their engineers working on the garbage can.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Except that the difference is that apple are derr brains and you would know about all the other stuff if the apple fanboys didn't go looking for it to post all over the Internet. 

Yes, and you're making your argument oh so much better by spewing crap and providing cock all to reinforce anything. 9_9

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, mr moose said:

you could go on and on, but we all know MS are infallible and only produce absolute precision products that are above reproach.  So I will just ignore the harsh and unfair things you say. 

I wondered why there are more people complaining about iphones recently.  They should have just hired the WP team and kept their engineers working on the garbage can.

what the hell are you on about...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Yes, and you're making your argument oh so much better by spewing crap and providing cock all to reinforce anything. 9_9

It's very hard to find evidence to support sarcastic humour, sorry

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what the hell are you on about...

Just getting in before the apple haters, it might take the wind out of their sails if they are mocked before they even begin.

Sorry, I though the sarcasm was strong enough not to require the /s tag

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

It's very hard to find evidence to support sarcastic humour, sorry

Just getting in before the apple haters, it might take the wind out of their sales if they are mocked before they even begin.

It's beyond sarcasm, it's just the ramblings of a madman tbh

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's beyond sarcasm, it's just the ramblings of a madman tbh

Isn't that what most apple hate is around here?

49 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Clearly

(remembers that Windows 10 S is a thing) :P

That just means they BOTH have no idea what they're doing. :P

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Just now, mr moose said:

Isn't that what most apple hate is around here?

I'm not going to try to speculate on what percentage of previously posted hate for any particular company was justified, but I will say I've never read something more illogical and absurd than what you posted above.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Boi on LTT you see so much questionable shit that sometimes you start to wonder if the noose in your closet might get dusted off...

To hang your keyboard cuz you spilled water on it. The hell were you thinking? Morbid fuck.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not going to try to speculate on what percentage of previously posted hate for any particular company was justified, but I will say I've never read something more illogical and absurd than what you posted above.

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Boi on LTT you see so much questionable shit that sometimes you start to wonder if the noose in your closet might get dusted off...

To hang your keyboard cuz you spilled water on it. The hell were you thinking? Morbid fuck.

Then I don't know what's worse,  the fact that I look like a madman, or the fact that in my attempt to be a stupidly over the top apple hater, some people have thought that I was actually just an average forum apple hater.  The later being a really sad indictment on them.

Although I do admit to being a Morbid fuck sometimes. 

Just now, mr moose said:

Then I don't know what's worse,  the fact that I look like a madman, or the fact that in my attempt to be a stupidly over the top apple hater, some people have thought that I was actually just an average forum apple hater.  The later being a really sad indictment on them.

Although I do admit to being a Morbid fuck sometimes. 

The latter, definitely.  At this point nothing surprises me anymore so any and all sarcasm really does need to be marked.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm reminded of that bug in windows where you could get help from the login screen and ask for a command line and then open one and so on

you can still make sticky keys throw you a command prompt on the login screen that has absolute admin rights. You could back on 7 use the automatic repair to even make it do it, but now i havent found a way to do it without either a live linux distro or some other log in to the computer.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Does any of this really matter? Last time I knew, it is easier to reset/remove a Mac OS login password than it is to do the same thing through CMD on Windows....

So, if I really wanted to log into a Mac, I could do that. And thankfully, no one I've met has used the same login password that they also use for iTunes... So luckily have that separation... Maybe if they did a thing like Windows where the password cannot be manipulated if it's tied to a cloud account....

if you use a MS account to log in i dont think comand prompt has any power over it, but you can also just create a new account with full admin rights using it to log in and do whatever as a local admin. i never got much of a chance at getting at the higher level network admin accounts while i was still in 9th grade and we were using Windows 7 buissnes which ironicaly is the easiest version to get into

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm reminded of that bug in windows where you could get help from the login screen and ask for a command line and then open one and so on

That wasn't really so much of a bug though, more like a bad implementation of the "help" feature.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

That's the second major security issue in High Sierra. Seems Apple has been rushing their latest OS offerings.

They just released an update for macOS. Does anyone know if it fixed either of them? The description is really vague.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Seems Apple has been rushing their latest OS offerings.

I don't have a Mac at the moment but with iOS 11, I agree that it's the buggiest iOS release just yet. My iPhone is draining battery faster than it was with iOS 10.3.3.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Already patched? Apple issued an update earlier with a new APFS.efi driver. Had to update the EFI partition on my Hackintosh with the new file after the update installed.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't have a Mac at the moment but with iOS 11, I agree that it's the buggiest iOS release just yet. My iPhone is draining battery faster than it was with iOS 10.3.3.

What bugs? I've been running iOS 11 since the day 1 release and haven't noticed any issues with battery life or any other issues. Although it is a bit hard to notice battery life issues without directly testing them -- especially since I don't charge my phone daily and don't really keep track of what time I charged it the day before.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

What bugs? I've been running iOS 11 since the day 1 release and haven't noticed any issues with battery life or any other issues. Although it is a bit hard to notice battery life issues without directly testing them -- especially since I don't charge my phone daily and don't really keep track of what time I charged it the day before.

My iPhone’s battery life is better with iOS 10.3.3. 

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yupp... Just boot to windows CD

backup utilman.exe

copy cmd.exe over utilman.exe

Boot windows and press accessibility button and administrative CMD opens.

Create a user. add them to administrators group. and your are done my friend... Revert the changes above using the backup.

*do your own research if you try this. Some say it has been patched, but i have done this recently on Win10*

You may have already knew, but just for anyone who didn't.... its like 5 steps on windows... lol

9 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

My iPhone’s battery life is better with iOS 10.3.3. 

@dalekphalm (I think it was you who was also running iOS 11....I hope)

Have you noticed anything where if you received an iMessage text when you had service but then lost service you would then receive the same text again in the form of an SMS when you regained service? I haven't done any extensive testing -- just going on/off the subway, but I don't recall ever having that happen before. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Have you noticed anything where if you received an iMessage text when you had service but then lost service you would then receive the same text again in the form of an SM

I haven’t since I always have service