Installing Windows 7 64-bit On Skylake

Is there anything that I need to keep in mind when installing Windows 7 64-bit on Skylake other than missing xHCI drivers?

As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong matching Skylake with Win7.

Quite pointless though as Win10 is better and can be edited to be and look just like the Win7 for the most part.

You'll only have issues with the latest architectures, Kaby Lake and Ryzen for instance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You people need to stop with Windows 7. The argument that 7 and 8 are better than 10 was valid for about the first 9 months. At this point Windows 10 has solved all of its issues and is a better operating system than Windows 7 or 8.

25 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

You people need to stop with Windows 7. The argument that 7 and 8 are better than 10 was valid for about the first 9 months. At this point Windows 10 has solved all of its issues and is a better operating system than Windows 7 or 8.

37 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong matching Skylake with Win7.

Quite pointless though as Win10 is better and can be edited to be and look just like the Win7 for the most part.

You'll only have issues with the latest architectures, Kaby Lake and Ryzen for instance.

Those are your opinions. Many people still prefer previous versions of Windows.

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

17 minutes ago, LeonHauptmann said:

Is there anything that I need to keep in mind when installing Windows 7 64-bit on Skylake other than missing xHCI drivers?

Everything should work completely fine - including Windows Update.

22 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Those are your opinions. Many people still prefer previous versions of Windows.

But like we said Windows 10 can be skinned to Windows 7. Windows 10 is more secure, and is better optimized You are really at a disadvantage from using 7.

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

For the record, Win10 can *sort* of be skinned to *kind of* look like Win7. There is a lot of privacy issues using Win10 that a lot of us do not like...so Win7 is still a valid choice. As is *nix or OS X

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

For the record, Win10 can *sort* of be skinned to *kind of* look like Win7. There is a lot of privacy issues using Win10 that a lot of us do not like...so Win7 is still a valid choice. As is *nix or OS X

Privacy issues on Windows 10? That's not the OS that has no support from Microsoft any more and is having no more security patches.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Windows 10 is more secure

If you care about security, you shouldn't be using Windows to begin with. 

The only reason Win7 could be less secure than Win10, is because Microsoft refuses to keep Win7 up-to-date.  That's also why they're pulling the plug on EMET, which actually makes Win7 MORE secure than Win10

http://news.softpedia.com/news/security-institute-says-windows-7-is-more-secure-than-windows-10-thanks-to-emet-510471.shtml

Thread cleaned.

The CS is clear, be respectful of each other.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Privacy issues on Windows 10? That's not the OS that has no support from Microsoft any more and is having no more security patches.

If I"m reading your comment right, you're saying Win7 gets no more support. This is flatly untrue

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Didn't mean to start WWIII lmao

I have some games from my childhood that I know work on Windows 7, I don't want to set up a VM or anything. Also Windows 10 has been a scam and really I don't see a reason why I should upgrade. A few clocks more on i5-7500 instead of i5-6400, surveillance "security" updates...anything else?

Also, what about malware-proofing, I am very aware on the internet and never got any malware/bloatware or shitty toolbars but I'm afraid of a huge waves of exploits after Microsoft ends support 2020. VM wouldn't protect against bootloaders, rootskits and stuff like that right? Perhaps cloning whole drive or imaging?

1 minute ago, LeonHauptmann said:

I have some games from my childhood that I know work on Windows 7, I don't want to set up a VM or anything. Also Windows 10 has been a scam and really I don't see a reason why I should upgrade. A few clocks more on i5-7500 instead of i5-6400, surveillance "security" updates...anything else?

Also, what about malware-proofing, I am very aware on the internet and never got any malware/bloatware or shitty toolbars but I'm afraid of a huge waves of exploits after Microsoft ends support 2020. VM wouldn't protect against bootloaders, rootskits and stuff like that right? Perhaps cloning whole drive or imaging?

Many people don't like the user interface of Windows 8.x. but Windows 8.x is supported three years more than Windows 7 and doesn't include the Windows 10 spying features. 

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

Many people don't like the user interface of Windows 8.x. but Windows 8.x is supported three years more than Windows 7 and doesn't include the Windows 10 spying features. 

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

That's a misconception, if you keep Windows 7 and Windows 8 up-to-date then telemetry is enabled in both.

Actually Microsoft has started releasing updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 operating systems since a few months which implement Windows 10 style data collection and telemetry features to these previous Windows versions. These updates are called "Customer Experience and Diagnostic Telemetry" and install a new "Diagnostic and Telemetry" service in these OS. This service utilizes a built-in program called "Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)" and "User Account Control (UAC)" to collect diagnostics information about functional issues on Windows operating system.

Source ;

https://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8/

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/

https://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

@LeonHauptmann use the OS that serves you best, if you can make a ghost image and keep it somewhere safe, that would be a good solution if anything was to happen, you only need to restore the image and update what's needed instead of doing a clean install.

Just now, wkdpaul said:

That's a misconception, if you keep Windows 7 and Windows 8 up-to-date then telemetry is enabled in both.

Source ;

https://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8/

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/

https://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

@LeonHauptmann use the OS that serves you best, if you can make a ghost image and keep it somewhere safe, that would be a good solution if anything was to happen, you only need to restore the image and update what's needed instead of doing a clean install.

Simple. Don't install those spying updates.

Yes, those "updates" are currently optional, and the services easily disabled.

As far as security in general goes after 2020, a solid browser with heavy ad blocking for surfing online, run as a limited user and a hardware firewall, is all you need.

For giggles, last year I ran WinNT 4.0 SP6, with no ad blockers, no A/V, and no firewall. Ran it on a public IP address for several months, doing usual network stuff (where I could, it didn't support much) then tore it down, placed the drive in an external bay, and scanned for malware.

Nothing. Zip. Make of that what you will...

On 02/10/2017 at 8:55 AM, Max_Settings said:

But like we said Windows 10 can be skinned to Windows 7. Windows 10 is more secure, and is better optimized You are really at a disadvantage from using 7.

Actually, Windows 10 is the least secure Windows to date.

Number of security vulnerabilities discovered per Windows OS per year (I hope this displays properly):

https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2016

1999----2000----2001----2002----2003----2004----2005----2006----2007----2008----2009----2010----2011----2012----2013----2014----2015----2016----2017

---95      13-------31------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---98      11-------15--------7---------12------------------12------17--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

98se      -----------6--------6----------12---------------------------18--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---NT      64-------28-------24--------23--------18-------24--------------------------------------16-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000      18-------31-------43--------42--------31-------41------68-------42--------30-------24-------75-------45---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--ME     ----------------------7---------10----------------------------15--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---XP     ---------------------10--------34--------22-------44------66-------56--------34-------34-------89-------98------101-------43-------87--------------------------------------------

Vista      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------31-------29-------76-------86-------95-------42-------95----------34------136------125----------

-----7     --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------64------102-------44-------99----------36------147------134------197

-----8     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------58----------38------146------134------229

---8.1     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------38------151------154------225

----10    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------53-------172------268

2018 (as of May)

-----7     --47--------

---8.1    --44--------

----10    --61--------

And that doesn't even start counting the vulnerabilities that are there by Microsoft's design, and which are used by Microsoft to retrieve system data without authorization.

Also, Edge is the least secure internet browser.

On 02/10/2017 at 11:03 AM, wkdpaul said:

If a person get meticulous with which updates they install, using avenues other than Windows Update, then they could theoretically avoid adding telemetry to Windows 7 while still keeping it virtually up-to-date.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If a person get meticulous with which updates they install, using avenues other than Windows Update, then they could theoretically avoid adding telemetry to Windows 7 while still keeping it virtually up-to-date.

I'm very aware of that, but saying that Windows 7 has no telemetry is a misconception, the regular Joe that keeps his Windows updated will simply go into Windows update and update everything as per MS recommendations.

The links I posted list the updates and service that have to be disabled for Windows 7 to be "telemetry free" (meaning, I'm aware of the situation ;) )

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm very aware of that, but saying that Windows 7 has no telemetry is a misconception, the regular Joe that keeps his Windows updated will simply go into Windows update and update everything as per MS recommendations.

The links I posted list the updates and service that have to be disabled for Windows 7 to be "telemetry free" (meaning, I'm aware of the situation ;) )

Nobody that uses this forum is a "regular Joe".

3 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Nobody that uses this forum is a "regular Joe".

You might be surprised how little some people know ;)

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

You might be surprised how little some people know ;)

I am every time I go to professional education school.

1 hour ago, LeonHauptmann said:

Don't blame you for staying with W7 to play some of older games.  You should be able to install W7 on a Skylake.  Just a bit of doing a search, brings up websites stating Windows 7 works on Skylake CPUs.

This a list for OEMs, but heck, if they work, then any Skylake should work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported

At most, you may have to do this:  https://www.logicsupply.com/explore/io-hub/installing-windows-7-on-a-skylake-pc/

More in depth guide: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/how11804/how-to-install-windows-7-on-systems-with-skylake-chipset?lang=en

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU