Valve removes 173 'spam' games from Steam, all published by one person.

wyattzx

steam_post_img-1.jpg

173 games were removed from the Steam store yesterday, which may be a record. As Polygon reports, the removed games include titles such as Fruit Candypop, Rage Parking Simulator 2017, SHAPES4, SHAPES5, SHAPES6, and, who could forget, SHAPES7. Sure enough, SteamDB shows that all of the games in the list were updated about 18 hours ago, and none of them have Steam store pages anymore (though existing owners should still be able to play them).

Based on the titles, it seems likely that these are some of the "bad actors" Valve was talking about in May when it announced changes to Trading Cards, though we haven't yet heard from Valve or the developers of these games (Update: See Valve's response below). Back in May, Valve accused unnamed developers of releasing cheap games, sometimes just 'asset flipped' versions of previous games, solely so they could mine their own Trading Cards and then sell them.

Source: PCGamer

Honestly, while removing one "developer's" entire catalog is nice -- and 173 removed titles is almost 1% of all products on Steam, it still leaves me wondering whether this will continue onward, or if this was a one-off sort of deal. Ideally, I'd like to see Valve begin to scout and remove titles from their library which demonstrate qualities of being blatant cash grabs or ripoffs. 

That being said, what do you guys think?

10 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

I can see "But can it run SHAPES7???" become a new adage on this forum.

I'd use that.

SHAPES5 was the best in the series though. 

I do hope Steam implements a system for new games. I'm tired of trying $5 indie horror games that are only three hours long, broken as sh#t, and as scary as Reader Rabbit. 

Spoiler

Especially the ones that use stock assets without adding any production value.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

31 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

i'm sorry what??

Steam's library consists of around 17,600 products, including software, movies, DLCs, games, etc. 

im glad they are finally cracking down on this shit.

tired of seeing super shitty games with no content flooding the store all the time.

they need a proper vetting system in place.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

they need a proper vetting system in place.

They do, they're called reviews...

Problem is they don't listen to it and they're all weighed the same. The up-vote that's "great game, 10/5" gets the same response as a down-vote that's presented well. Not only that, but the game can be given for free and reviewed for easy up-votes, though they do mention it as of this year. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

They do, they're called reviews...

Problem is they don't listen to it and they're all weighed the same. The up-vote that's "great game, 10/5" gets the same response as a down-vote that's presented well. Not only that, but the game can be given for free and reviewed for easy up-votes, though they do mention it as of this year. 

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

so either program or train an algorithm/AI to find such games (if youtube still can't figure their suggestion AI... (in all fairness, it's better than what happened a few months ago now)), or hire more people (LOL, Valve in-house hiring service people?)

im thinking more of a system that checks the developer, and goes "oh you uploaded 50 games this month, that probably a little excessive, lets manually review this to make sure its not spam"   its like 2 lines of code.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

im thinking more of a system that checks the developer, and goes "oh you uploaded 50 games this month, that probably a little excessive, lets manually review this to make sure its not spam"   its like 2 lines of code.

That would work for some cases like this one, but there are other one-off developers that make truly terrible games that shouldn't be receiving up-votes on Steam. I would like it if Steam could start using their report system fully. Hundreds of people reported one game, but it's still there for sale (last I checked was Spring this year).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That would work for some cases like this one, but there are other one-off developers that make truly terrible games that shouldn't be receiving up-votes on Steam. I would like it if Steam could start using their report system fully. Hundreds of people reported one game, but it's still there for sale (last I checked was Spring this year).

theres a big difference between a one off dev who makes a shitty game, and dev who keep pumping out shitty games though.

and reviews mean basically nothing.

negative review: "bad game" dude has 14k hours

positive review: "lol boobs" dude has 20minutes

and that completely ignoring the review bombing for something completely irrelevant.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah you can have that. problem is the said miner (it's what that is) has multiple dev accounts:

this thing you can't rely on an automated system, at least not for now. It's probably the same kind of work an AI needs to figure out with IRL crimes

thats true. but i think each dev should also be manually reviewed at the very least, on the first game they publish.

it might make it a little hard for good, legit indie devs, but it would at least help keep away the trash.

|Specs in profile|

8 hours ago, NonaHexa said:

Steam's library consists of around 17,600 products, including software, movies, DLCs, games, etc. 

I too thought that was surprising. Dunno why, I would have thought steam had more games than that

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

you thinking a million?

Not a million, but less than twenty thousand for how popular and how long steam has been around....

I would have guessed maybe 50k, just because of all the little indie games 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Good hopefully they'll remove the trash anime flash games.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

15 hours ago, coolkingler1 said:

SHAPES5 was the best in the series though. 

Don't forget SHAPES(1+(-1^0.5))

It was really imaginative though the story line was quite complex. They should have kept it real. (Maths)

Id like to know how someone could launch 173 games without one person thinking something is off. Not even EA or Activision has such an output. This is just as bad as bot accounts to boost a games reviews.

Selena-Gomez-Clapping-Hands_Small2.gif.cab7578114f9f266236620e12e0f7aab.gif

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

34 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

snip

Please clarify? Much confuse

Just now, ScratchCat said:

Please clarify? Much confuse

Steam finally acting.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

Probably money laundering. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

" Fruit candypop" sounds like a bad clone of a bad clone of candy crush

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 9/27/2017 at 6:27 AM, NonaHexa said:

Huh. That number is hella lower than I expected tbh.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

18 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

Huh. That number is hella lower than I expected tbh.

What's crazy is like 90 percent of those are from the past 5 years though. They used to have a few hundred a year like Xbox or Playstation. Now its like 4,000 a year. Which isn't good since most of them are really bad. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

1 hour ago, christianled59 said:

What's crazy is like 90 percent of those are from the past 5 years though. They used to have a few hundred a year like Xbox or Playstation. Now its like 4,000 a year. Which isn't good since most of them are really bad. 

Yeah, I know. I just expected that number to be much higher, like 50-100k.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Can they please retroactively remove all those achievement spam games too?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro