Google to hire HTC's best smartphone talent

Nowak

google-pixel-9285-014.jpg

Sauce: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-htc-deal

Previously, it was rumored that Google might either enter a strategic partnership with HTC or outright by HTC's phone business, due to Google's close relationship with the company. I broke this news on here a couple weeks ago. Today, that's official... sort of.

After intense speculation and lots of pontificating by tech pundits, Google has made it official: it's going into business with HTC.

But instead of buying HTC's phone business outright, Google has "signed an agreement with HTC, a leader in consumer electronics, [to hire] a team of HTC talent [to] join Google as part of the hardware organization. These future fellow Googlers are amazing folks we've already been working with closely on the Pixel smartphone line, and we're excited to see what we can do together as one team. The deal also includes a non-exclusive license for HTC intellectual property."

Instead of a strategic partnership or buying HTC's smartphone business, Google is hiring some of HTC's smartphone talent for their own smartphone business. In theory, this closer connection to Google should make the Pixel phones better. This deal also includes a non-exclusive license for HTC's intellectual property, allowing it to iterate on HTC's future phones (most likely the Pixel) for years to come.

For those of you wondering, HTC will continue to operate as an independent business.

It appears that HTC will continue to operate as an independent entity, both as a maker of VR hardware under its Vive division, and possibly as a smartphone maker, too, though in what capacity remains to be seen.

The announcement was made by Rick Osterloh, the head of Google's hardware division, who had the following to say about the news:

It's still early days for Google's hardware business. We're focused on building our core capabilities, while creating a portfolio of products that offers people a unique yet delightful experience only made possible by bringing together the best of Google software—like the Google Assistant—with thoughtfully designed hardware. HTC has been a longtime partner and has created some of the most beautiful, high-end devices on the market. We can't wait to welcome members of the HTC team to join us on this journey.

HTC and Google have been working together since the very beginnings of Android. Their repertoire includes the first Android phone (T-Mobile G1/HTC Dream), the first Nexus phone (Nexus One), the first mass-market, audio-focused, all-metal phone (HTC One M7) the Nexus 9 tablet and the Pixel/Pixel XL. Google is spending $1.1 billion on the deal, and it is expected to close in 2018. 

Thoughts? Concerns? Screams of agony? While I'm glad that this means that the Pixel team (I believe that's who are being transferred to Google) gets to work more closely with Google, this will undoubtedly have an effect on HTC's own phones. This is the same company that brought us the very first consumer Android smartphone 9 years ago, remember. Surely everything will work out fine for both companies in the end, though.

Edited by Daring
Updated with new information

Hiring, I thought Google/Alphabet was buying HTC er something like that. I probably misread that somewhere.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Hiring, I thought Google/Alphabet was buying HTC er something like that. I probably misread that somewhere.

That was the rumor. Google made the announcement just now. Not quite what the rumor mill said, but it still confirms a close relationship between Google and HTC, that HTC was willing to transfer some of their best smartphone talent to Google specifically.

So how do you explain this then?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

So brain drain the company and then leave? Or is Google going to inject some money into HTCs smartphone business.

It seems brain drain.

With bendy straws.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So how do you explain this then?

Misread the news. Google is not buying HTC itself.

A press release from HTC CEO Cher Wang confirms that what Android Central is true: HTC will still be an independent company, and certain employees will be reporting to Google.

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Misread the news. Google is not buying HTC itself.

From HTC CEO Cher Wang: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/google-and-htc-announce-us11-billion-cooperation-agreement-300523328.html

ok... I guess I'll try to reconcile these 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So in the future we might end up with a Google Vive

flat,800x800,075,t.u2.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Trying to digest this still... while I understand HTC needs the cash, I'm not sure this relationship feels good for long term. In essence it sounds like HTC licensed their IP and sent some people over to help Google use it, but the loss of people... you have to wonder if that will impact their own phone lines in future, unless there's more of a 2-way share going on than reported. Like maybe they'll get more help on Android.

From a user perspective, I hope this will allow Pixel line to grow better, faster. I skipped 1st gen, but I'm likely to bite on the next generation when they're released later this year and retire my 5X. This deal is unlikely to affect that as it will be substantially done already, but the 3rd generation Pixel might be where we see their impact.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So basically, Google decided that it was not worth buying HTC because the brand is essentially worthless. So instead they just hire all the talent and gets a licensing deal which means they can use whatever tech from HTC they want.

Sounds like a good deal for Google and a really bad deal for HTC in the long run.

This is basically admitting that HTC is leaving the smartphone space. They can't be expecting to compete with the likes of Apple and Samsung if their smartphone talent is leaving the company.

6 hours ago, Daring said:

Thoughts? Concerns? Screams of agony?

Will they bring Boom sound stereo speakers to the Pixel line?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

BBC article (saw on my phone so no link to hand) claims half of HTC's phone people will move to Google, "about 2000". It also suggests they're already involved in Pixel related stuff.

I missed a detail earlier, that the deal will close end of next year. Thinking more, if they are people already working on Pixel... will it change much? The tighter integration with Google as opposed to working through HTC could allow efficiency improvement but it might not change things as much as I first through.

A gap I find with Google's Pixel strategy is there isn't a medium price offering. As a random thought, could HTC target that space? Don't compete with Google, but complement them. It wont grab the headlines like a flagship would, but a good phone, with good specs, at moderate price could do well in the market. Especially if they keep up to date on cutting edge Android. Because it is HTC doing it, not Google, it wont dilute the Pixel branding either.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Now Google can squander away the skills and ideas of good engineers by forcing them to ship piss poor product.

Pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, porina said:

A gap I find with Google's Pixel strategy is there isn't a medium price offering. As a random thought, could HTC target that space? Don't compete with Google, but complement them. It wont grab the headlines like a flagship would, but a good phone, with good specs, at moderate price could do well in the market. Especially if they keep up to date on cutting edge Android. Because it is HTC doing it, not Google, it wont dilute the Pixel branding either.

Google seems to want to be Apple when it comes to smartphones. They only have a premium option, and nothing more. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not though.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

this is a much better deal than google buying motorola, as at least HTC can keep their patents, and if the partnership dissolves, HTC will either get shit tons of royalties from google or a shit ton from google having to licence the patents to keep the devices updated, but still i'm glad google isn't going to gut HTC like a fish.

Also this is pretty much a sign of some excellent aluminium pixels aren't completely dead.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Some form of embrace, extend and extinguish knowing Google designs and how they tend to abandon stuff. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So in the future we might end up with a Google Vive

<snip>

HTC Vive is not included as a part of the deal.

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

So basically, Google decided that it was not worth buying HTC because the brand is essentially worthless. So instead they just hire all the talent and gets a licensing deal which means they can use whatever tech from HTC they want.

See my post above. 

Not the 1st time google did this. Motorola was the same. Get their patent, get everything google needs, and sold it to lenovo. 

Goodbye HTC. Kind of insane how a huge battleship can sink within a few years. I've heard things like head of department leaving during crucial time, their CEO got scammed by her schoolmates etc.... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.