Instant Translation – Right in your Ear!

This is the most hilarious thing I've watched in a while. Thanks guys. I'm ill and really needed the laughs.

But now I kinda wanna know how long it took to figure this thing out without a manual?

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

Loved the video, Dennis needs to be in more videos - pro actor! I guess I still don't get the point of the hardware though. You're going to be carrying around a phone with Google translate anyway... so why not just use that? Seems clunky.

So the aim of this product is to make the usage of Google Translate slightly less clunky, right? It basically captures what you're saying, translates it through Google Translate and spits out the translation on the other end?

There are a few reasons why this technology isn't too good:

1. In order for the translation to be correct, it has to capture your voice properly, which requires clear speech, something that might be a problem with people with accents or who have some kind of speech impairment.

2. Even if the voice is captured correctly, Google Translate is far from perfect, especially because of how many words can have different meanings, and how hard these little differences and irregularities are to learn for a machine. Translation between languages that have similiar grammar rules, for example English and Swedish is surprisingly decent, but if I were to, say, translate something from Chinese to Polish, it'd probably be incomprehensible garbage.

As for the video: Really funny.

How could you have a product like this and not make a babelfish reference?

@nicklmg @LinusTech

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Too bad this device doesn't support Russian, so Ivan wasn't needed to be involved. As for the product, those holders with shared charging are pretty cool. Little bit clunky, but it would be awesome to see similar system for earbuds from other manufacturers. (But I haven't checked, how earpods are being charged, so it might the copy of that system)

Oh LTT, we have had the Babel fish for millennia (well when I say we I mean the universe). 

40735ED000000578-4515856-image-a-24_1495

babel-fish.jpg

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think it's great to put the credits at the end of the video like what you've been doing recently. If people see 7 people working on a video, they might stop complaining about sponsors and Linus asking for money for FP. It's not like only Linus is doing the video like some other youtube vloggers. 

"One of us wears the master, the other one wears the slave"

fucking lol'd. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

A joke was handed to you guys on a gilded lead platter, where were the star trek uniforms/skits? You have a (not very) universal translator in your possession.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

N O E N G L I S H

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Looks like this is just a glorified google translate, good for basic phrases but not much else. I'm a bit sad that translation technology seem to be stuck on the same level it was like 10 years ago. With the advance of A.I, neural networks and deep learning, I'm surprised no one has made one that learns to improve translation accuracy and understand context during translation. 

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

It's a fricken babelfish from hitchhickers guide to the galaxy!

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Spoiler

I have been using google translate for a while and I find this device quite interesting.

If you tried the google web version, u will find that their are actually various translation option that you can click for the end result.

My guess is that this device just pick the simplest one and go with.

Being Bilingual,  I found that the device is pretty handy in certain situation.

If a user has totally no language knowledge, they will tend to speak in phrases. It will reduce the chance of error, and the rest can be done in facial expression lol.   

Obviously this kind of stuff can never be perfect, unless a database is build to analyze the "master" speaking pattern, the expression will always be bound to miss interpretation of some sort.

I also noticed that some error that was generated in the video was simply because Linus did not speak clearly and the translator picked up a different phrase and  translated a different meaning.

Like Linus say, you will be carrying around a phone.. so this device has a lot more to go in regards of easier access and design too make it worthwhile..

it would be cooler if you didn't have to make someone else wear one

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

17 hours ago, p00m4 said:

@King_of_Oz It doesn't speak vogon though

Crap. That's deceiving. IM FILING A COMPLAINT!

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.