Asus TUF B350M-Plus announced

just_dave
14 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

TUF used to be for only extremely TUF/strong boards, this board only carries the name :( 

On the higher end there are TUF mark 1 and TUF mark 2. Take X299 ones for example, the mk1 is the one with all the armoured stuff and a price to match. The mk2 is actually the cheapest Asus board in that category. As said, I find their marketing message confusing... not just limited to the TUF but also the Prime, ROG, Strix, whatever...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Gigabyte uses crappy highside mosfets. From my talk with buildzoid and from the spec sheets i know that they have low current output (plus low maximum) and higher heat ouput. High RDS(on) and buildzoid says they are pretty unstable with higher temps

and if you have been talking to Buildzoid you should know that ASRock has actiually decent VRMs fully capable of 100A 1.42V, as most ASUS boards are aswell. Like really, B350 boards are pretty capable of overclocking R7 exept this anemic 3 phase poops from MSI and aparently the Gigabyte boards

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

49 minutes ago, dave_k said:

With R7? You better pull the OC back. The VRMs on B350 arent enough for that, they overheat.

Well you might need to specify no overvolting in which case I'd agree. But I am managing 3.725 mhz overclock on a 1600 without even touching the voltage at all on a fairly similar board from Gigabyte (A-B350M-D3H also matx but I get an extra fan header which I use for dual 120mm intake fans which also helps VRM temps) 

So with proper case cooling and the fact that the wraith spire creates some down draft airflow it's fine for moderate overclocks that still get you to the X chips levels

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

and if you have been talking to Buildzoid you should know that ASRock has actiually decent VRMs fully capable of 100A 1.42V, as most ASUS boards are aswell. Like really, B350 boards are pretty capable of overclocking R7 exept this anemic 3 phase poops from MSI and aparently the Gigabyte boards

Yeah but i heard about asrocks painful Vdrop. so i am not sure to recommend them

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Well you might need to specify no overvolting in which case I'd agree. But I am managing 3.725 mhz overclock on a 1600 without even touching the voltage at all on a fairly similar board from Gigabyte (A-B350M-D3H also matx but I get an extra fan header which I use for dual 120mm intake fans which also helps VRM temps) 

So with proper case cooling and the fact that the wraith spire creates some down draft airflow it's fine for moderate overclocks that still get you to the X chips levels

Gigabyte´s 4+3 poop is enough for a 6core no comments on that but you can get much better solutions like this asus which is the whole thread about

8 minutes ago, porina said:

On the higher end there are TUF mark 1 and TUF mark 2. Take X299 ones for example, the mk1 is the one with all the armoured stuff and a price to match. The mk2 is actually the cheapest Asus board in that category. As said, I find their marketing message confusing... not just limited to the TUF but also the Prime, ROG, Strix, whatever...

they are blending the lines which is completely stupid, rog is now cheaper and weaker, strix makes no god dam sense, and prime is supposed to be the new cheap board but its ugly as hell and has a weird name, i liked asus portfolio from 2015, good separated models, functional boards with good cooling, the boards weren't too over the top, now even the tuf series is trying to be flashy wtf

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

they are blending the lines which is completely stupid, rog is now cheaper and weaker, strix makes no god dam sense, and prime is supposed to be the new cheap board but its ugly as hell and has a weird name, i liked asus portfolio from 2015, good separated models, functional boards with good cooling, the boards weren't too over the top, now even the tuf series is trying to be flashy wtf

Still better than MSI with their VR and Gaming phrases on every goddamn box

Yeah but i heard about asrocks painful Vdrop. so i am not sure to recommend them

im pretty sure LLC solves that, either way i will keep recomending them

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, dave_k said:

Still better than MSI with their VR and Gaming phrases on every goddamn box

agreed but: notice the word gaming on the side of the board :| 

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im pretty sure LLC solves that, either way i will keep recomending them

I am going to change my list because this TUF is better than AB350M because it finally has heatsinks and better VRM as well

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

With R7? You better pull the OC back. The VRMs on B350 arent enough for that, they overheat.

I am still relatively certain something like 3.7 ghz 1.3v would be quite fine.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

59 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Gigabyte´s 4+3 poop is enough for a 6core no comments on that but you can get much better solutions like this asus which is the whole thread about

Well B350 and particularly B350 prices should be aimed for the R5s if people go up to R7 prices ideally the entire rig price would also go up and they'd go up to X370s.

If you ask me MATX is more of a mid-range choice and this board wants to be the top line mid-range choice not really a "1700@4.0ghz" kind of overclocking board.

-------

Current Rig

-------

22 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I am still relatively certain something like 3.7 ghz 1.3v would be quite fine.

1.3V yes but most people are going for 4.0-3.9 at 1.35+V which is too much for these to handle. I have thermal imaging for the Strix, R7 at 1.44V with no airflow over the heatsink means 120°C on the VRMs, running 1.35-38 would be fine but not optimal

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Well B350 and particularly B350 prices should be aimed for the R5s if people go up to R7 prices ideally the entire rig price would also go up and they'd go up to X370s.

If you ask me MATX is more of a mid-range choice and this board wants to be the top line mid-range choice not really a "1700@4.0ghz" kind of overclocking board.

Yes, exactly but some people dont just understand that, they think that they can overclock the fuck out of Ryzen on the cheapest B350 in best buy

Just now, Snaeb said:

I've hit 3.9GHz @1.45V on a Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 with mosfets hitting 70-80*C

1.45V? Rest in peace Ryzen 2017-2018

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

1.45V? Rest in peace Ryzen 2017-2018

Mind you that was only for gaming benchmarks for one video I did. My 1700x on auto voltage would hit 1.44V @ stock.

Yes, exactly but some people dont just understand that, they think that they can overclock the fuck out of Ryzen on the cheapest B350 in best buy

Modest boards for modest overclocks which incidentally are the most cost effective i.e. I get just past 1600x levels on a 1600 no voltage increase. An extra 275mhz to get an extra 5% isn't worth pushing the motherboard any higher.

The bigger point is that people might watch reviewers on youtube and go "Oh wow he's getting 3.9 on a 65 bucks B350 board and a stock cooler" but that guy doesn't really care his review sample dies in 2 years whereas consumers that can only afford a B350 board and R5 probably can't afford to keep buying boards and chips very frequently.

Or maybe we've been used to this modest overclocks not being an option with intel for so many years it's kind of a new thing for most.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This dude ordered me to edit a post in another thread because I said it was OK to use more than 1.35V on DDR4 then quickly edited his own when I smacked em down with proof.

He's wrong all the time and a dick about it.

16 minutes ago, dave_k said:

1.44V

Personally if you ask me that's way too higher anyways xD, I personally would like to stay at 1.4 or lower

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

16 minutes ago, dexT said:

This dude ordered me to edit a post in another thread because I said it was OK to use more than 1.35V on DDR4 then quickly edited his own when I smacked em down with proof.

He's wrong all the time and a dick about it.

I am not saying its not Ok, i am saying that i didnt like 1.41V. I first thought you wrote 1.5V, then edited it. 

Sorry

Is it prohibited to edit comments?

Edited by dave_k
sorry for editing comment

23 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

Mind you that was only for gaming benchmarks for one video I did. My 1700x on auto voltage would hit 1.44V @ stock.

Oh ok

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Modest boards for modest overclocks which incidentally are the most cost effective i.e. I get just past 1600x levels on a 1600 no voltage increase. An extra 275mhz to get an extra 5% isn't worth pushing the motherboard any higher.

The bigger point is that people might watch reviewers on youtube and go "Oh wow he's getting 3.9 on a 65 bucks B350 board and a stock cooler" but that guy doesn't really care his review sample dies in 2 years whereas consumers that can only afford a B350 board and R5 probably can't afford to keep buying boards and chips very frequently.

Or maybe we've been used to this modest overclocks not being an option with intel for so many years it's kind of a new thing for most.

I absolutely hate trash youtubers like ScienceStudio who recommended MSI B350 Gaming Plus just because "it looks good" and said "ideal board for anyone who doesnt need SLI or 8 sata ports". He doesnt even know how shitty product does he recommend

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I absolutely hate trash youtubers like ScienceStudio who recommended MSI B350 Gaming Plus just because "it looks good" and said "ideal board for anyone who doesnt need SLI or 8 sata ports". He doesnt even know how shitty product does he recommend

Yeah I am not a big Salazar fan either: Some of his videos are ok but he often has a very tangible smugness to him, when he makes videos like "Let's mock craigslist vendors" it comes off as extremely condescending not just harmless fun poking.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah I am not a big Salazar fan either: Some of his videos are ok but he often has a very tangible smugness to him, when he makes videos like "Let's mock craigslist vendors" it comes off as extremely condescending not just harmless fun poking.

He thinks he is the smartest man in the universe but nah