Asus TUF B350M-Plus announced

just_dave

Hello everyone, AM4 mobos are my somewhat hobby, so i am happy to bring you new mobo from Asus. This will be probably the best mATX choice for R3/R5/R7 with no OC because it will most likely have the same VCore VRM as Prime B350 Plus and Strix B350-F. Onboard features are extremely similiar to Prime B350 Plus as far as can tell.

Source:聽TechPowerUp

4fnnyt3wTHYRQw76.jpg

RLZwLBI5v3JEyMrM.jpg

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Why no OC? Is it something specific to those boards? I've had no trouble with my asrock ab350 m.

2 minutes ago, tarmacd said:

Why no OC? Is it something specific to those boards? I've had no trouble with my asrock ab350 m.

With R7? You better pull the OC back. The VRMs on B350 arent enough for that, they overheat.

It depends on how hard you push it. I had tested聽the Asus B350M-A with 1700 in it early on. That聽mobo has no cooling on the VRM area. With a 3.6 GHz 1.20v OC the VRM was only around 80C according to thermal camera. If you start turning up the volts then it could get a lot hotter faster, not worth it for the last few hundred MHz IMO.

I'm confused by Asus branding though... too many models.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi,聽Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE聽ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070,聽MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North,聽Samsung 990 Pro 2TB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, dave_k said:

With R7? You better pull the OC back. The VRMs on B350 arent enough for that, they overheat.

There's absolutely no reason why you should not OC on B350. It is allowed for that specific reason.

Just now, ErrantNyles said:

There's absolutely no reason why you should not OC on B350. It is allowed for that specific reason.

It is only Ryzen 7 with no overclock, R5 6 cores can be overclocked.

1 minute ago, porina said:

It depends on how hard you push it. I had tested聽the Asus B350M-A with 1700 in it early on. That聽mobo has no cooling on the VRM area. With a 3.6 GHz 1.20v OC the VRM was only around 80C according to thermal camera. If you start turning up the volts then it could get a lot hotter faster, not worth it for the last few hundred MHz IMO.

I'm confused by Asus branding though... too many models.

80掳C on the mosfet casing? This means 120+ Tj internal temperature of the mosfet

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

It is only Ryzen 7 with no overclock, R5 6 cores can be overclocked.

And that's because.. you are scared of OC a R7 because of """"thermal issues"""" ?

I guess you never worked on electronics for die-casting lol

And that's because.. you are scared of OC a R7 because of """"thermal issues"""" ?

I guess you never worked on electronics for die-casting lol

Because the VRMs will run at 120+ and the capacitors on these mobos arent indestructible tanks, they are normal caps

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

80掳C on the mosfet casing? This means 120+ Tj internal temperature of the mosfet

Without looking it up again, I was under the impression they were rated to well beyond 100C on the case temp.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi,聽Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE聽ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070,聽MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North,聽Samsung 990 Pro 2TB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

Just now, dave_k said:

Because the VRMs will run at 120+ and the capacitors on these mobos arent indestructible tanks, they are normal caps

It is optimal? No

It is working? Yes

Can they withstand years of usage? Yes

I really don't get your problems.

Can they withstand years of usage? Yes

Wouldnt be so sure about that

1 minute ago, porina said:

Without looking it up again, I was under the impression they were rated to well beyond 100C on the case temp.

R7 at 1.2V huh. Gonna do some calculations, gonna report back soon

20 minutes ago, tarmacd said:

I have a 1600 at 3.7 on that board, it was a quick and dirty OC

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I have a 1600 at 3.7 on that board, it was a quick and dirty OC

Yeah, R5 1600 on that mobo can OC very fine, no problem. It applies only for R7

I have a stable 4.0 constant oc I'm running on my board, but it is cooled by a corsair h100i v2. It's temps have been stable so far, but this makes me want to put some temp probes on the vrm.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

mmm, kinda overwatch themed

Got an idea for fully overwatch build that @LinusTech聽could do.

R5 1600 with H100iV2

16GB Trident Z yellow

Zotac 1070 AMP! Extreme (has yellow backplate)

Corsair RM650x

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX

Set all of the lights on AiO and case RGB on yellow

480GB ssd

2TB WD black

Just now, tarmacd said:

I have a stable 4.0 constant oc I'm running on my board, but it is cooled by a corsair h100i v2. It's temps have been stable so far, but this makes me want to put some temp probes on the vrm.

Use IR thermometer, run 30 minutes of Aida64 and measure heatsink and left side capacitor bank temps and then take off the VCore heatsink and repeat so you measure exact temps on mosfet casings聽

there is no reason you cant OC a R7 chips on B350 exept on a few motherboards with really shitty VRMs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is聽play no games atm &聽watch聽anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...聽 nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project!Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log!聽(Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life.聽

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut;聽and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " -聽MageTank聽31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

there is no reason you cant OC a R7 chips on B350 exept on a few motherboards with really shitty VRMs

All of them acutally. MSI sucks hard, ASRock sucks, Gigabyte sucks even more. Only Asus has combination somehow better than these but not by much

16 minutes ago, dave_k said:

R7 at 1.2V huh. Gonna do some calculations, gonna report back soon

To expand on that, I only do low voltage (near or slightly above stock) overclocks. Thinking more, I'm probably not running the 1700 any more stressfully than a stock 1800X.

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

All of them acutally. MSI sucks hard, ASRock sucks, Gigabyte sucks even more. Only Asus has combination somehow better than these but not by much

wut? no. most of the ASRock boards have pretty decent VRMs. 4GHz should draw about 100A 1.4V, which from my knowlage should be just fine on almost all of the boards. MSI just sucks in general with AM4 so you stay away from those and Gigabytes i havent seen numbers for.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is聽play no games atm &聽watch聽anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...聽 nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project!Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log!聽(Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life.聽

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut;聽and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " -聽MageTank聽31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

wut? no. most of the ASRock boards have pretty decent VRMs. 4GHz should draw about 100A 1.4V, which from my knowlage should be just fine on almost all of the boards. MSI just sucks in general with AM4 so you stay away from those and Gigabytes i havent seen numbers for.

Gigabyte uses crappy highside mosfets. From my talk with buildzoid and from the spec sheets i know that they have low current output (plus low maximum) and higher heat ouput. High RDS(on) and buildzoid says they are pretty unstable with higher temps

Excuse me for a moment. i am going to install my new Ubiquiti flying saucer