We Designed the ULTIMATE Gaming TV

Dang. This is the type of content that I love to see from y'all. Sure there are a few problems with it, but it's original and innovative.

=

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

The only thing I would change is I would put the IO on the back like what TV'S do now, it would mean the bezel on the bottom could be thinned down to make the TV look bigger than it actually is.  

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The only thing I would change is I would put the UI on the back like what TV'S do now, it would mean the bezel on the bottom could be thinned down to make the TV look bigger than it actually is.  

I/O not UI

but yeah, I don't get those ones on the front, never used them for anything, at a bare minimum put a cover over them so they aren't so ugly.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

I/O not UI

I'll change it now :)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, IskanderEXC said:

10 minute video

OP posted 3 minutes ago 

Correction:

9/10 would watch again to see the 7 min I skipped through.

1 minute ago, Datrat said:

It's unlisted on YT. Not published.

yeah, thats standard procedure, they post the threads here, then after some random amount of time they switch the video to Public.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

yeah, thats standard procedure, they post the threads here, then after some random amount of time they switch the video to Public.

Ok. never knew that

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Yeah, we need the link to the Forum thread before we can put the video live, so when we have time in the morning before it goes live we just make the thread here.

8 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Yeah, we need the link to the Forum thread before we can put the video live, so when we have time in the morning before it goes live we just make the thread here.

I've always seen it as a bonus for being a forum member, something between being one of the normal plebs that watch on youtube and the folks with the disposable income to pay for vessel/floatplaneclub

also isn't about time to go public by now?

I don't really agree with the bluetooth remote. The good thing about IR is that the remote only works when you push a button, when nothing is pressed it's doing nothing. With bluetooth however you would need a remote that's always paired and will cause higher battery useage and unless the permanently pairing issue gets fixed it would be worse than IR. You can't beat 0 power consumption when not in use.

Maybe IR and bluetooth would make sense but not bluetooth only.

Also support for a raspberry pi module would be nice so that the gaming rig can be fully dedicated to gaming while the rest watches a youtube video or whatever and it would leave an upgrade path and very long software support. LibreElec on a pi would be a great solution.

The TV company doesn't need to develop any smart TV stuff nor support the hardware. They can just send them to the PI community and with pi modules there would actually be an upgrade path. No need to create a new platform when there's already a really good one :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Nice use of SolidWorks.

Maybe look into investing in a Keyshot subscription if you're going to do more videos like this in the future. Amazingly well optimised, and is much better than Photoview 360.

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I don't really agree with the bluetooth remote. The good thing about IR is that the remote only works when you push a button, when nothing is pressed it's doing nothing. With bluetooth however you would need a remote that's always paired and will cause higher battery useage and unless the permanently pairing issue gets fixed it would be worse than IR. You can't beat 0 power consumption when not in use.

Maybe IR and bluetooth would make sense but not bluetooth only.

Also support for a raspberry pi module would be nice so that the gaming rig can be fully dedicated to gaming while the rest watches a youtube video or whatever and it would leave an upgrade path and very long software support. LibreElec on a pi would be a great solution.

The TV company doesn't need to develop any smart TV stuff nor support the hardware. They can just send them to the PI community and with pi modules there would actually be an upgrade path. No need to create a new platform when there's already a really good one :P

I completely disagree about the bluetooth, my last Samsung TV had a bluetooth remote and it was fucking AWESOME, but they should do a rechargeable battery like the first gen Shield TV and the 4th gen Apple TV remotes do, also a built-in headphone jack like the higher end Roku's, Xbox One S and first gen Shield TV remotes all have, when I was bundled up under the covers because it was winter out I could just keep the remote under the covers and do everything while staying totally warm, plus not needing to aim at the TV is really missed, especially since the remote with my current TV sucks so horribly you have to find the IR sweetspot.

The variable refresh rate is not entirely correct, as far as I'm concerned. How do you want to make the 4K@60 vs 1080@anything? One option would be separate imige processors that work assymetrical, with an ever so slight offset, and they change roles when to controll pixels. This would feel cheap at the first glance, but would be horribly expensive to make a panel that actually could benefit from it. The second is more straing forward. 4k@144Hz panels are to come, Asus even tries to make it's first, so safe to say they are already here. Third option is to cheat, and basicly merge 4x1080p panels. HDMI 2.1 supports 4k@120Hz, so it'd be nice as well. 
What I strongly disagre is the humongous number of port. I'd rather make one multy-port, than make dongles. Please don't hate me for saying this. But many more components make more places where errors lurk. And if one of the ports fail, the whole expensive gaming TV is thrash, and has to be serviced. My Samsung SmartTV uses a special dongle to connect component connectors. It's convinient. 
You might want to add thunderbolt support and charging capability to your GamingTV, for 2 reasons. 1.: This is LTT, so why not. 2.: you already have USB hub and bunch of other features. Hell, you could make the dongle I said earlier to a Thunderbolt one. 
And now that I mention USB hub: Ethernet port. My fathers's LG tv has one, and it's the most used stuff. We stream video, movies, music, and use the TV as a projectort and cast many things to it. It's convinient.
These are my thoughts about how your GamingTV should work. Hope I gave you some good ideas :)

P.S.: If the TV ever makes it to manufacture, pls reserve an orange one for me :D:D

Definitely a great video. I'd love to see more stuff like this. It's pretty cool you guys are still trying new things after 3800 videos.

@AlexTheGreatish Great video that you made there. I was curious - how long did the modeling process take?  I've never used solidworks, but I've used blender, inventor, and sketchup. How do you like SolidWorks compared to the others?

Really, this was one of my favorite videos that you guys have put out for a while - not just because of the idea, but how you specifically want around completing it.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

@AlexTheGreatish Great video that you made there. I was curious - how long did the modeling process take?  I've never used solidworks, but I've used blender, inventor, and sketchup. How do you like SolidWorks compared to the others?

Really, this was one of my favorite videos that you guys have put out for a while - not just because of the idea, but how you specifically want around completing it.

It's hard for me to say for sure because I've used SolidWorks so much (about 5 years of using it every day) that everything else is annoying because modeling in SW is basically muscle memory now.  SW is really solid for modeling but other things can get you there too.  I really like the built in rendering, FEA, CFD and all the other engineering things that they include when you get the higher end packages, although I don't trust the FEA in it with my life, it makes iterating a design a lot easier before you need to go in and actually do the solids math.

There are no 1-3ms input lag monitors in existence.

The writer is probably thinking of pixel response time, which is

A) not input lag

and

B) a useless number since manufacturers do not have a standardized testing method (at least that's what linus said on an old wan show)

On the best monitors, input lag is about 10ms.

On the best tvs, input lag is about 15-20ms, which is actually extremely good compared to older tvs.

Yes it would be nice if tvs could have 10ms input lag, but 20ms is still perfectly fine for gaming, and 1-3ms is completely unreasonable.

(PS- If a monitor was to have 1ms input lag, it would need to be running at a minimum of 1000fps, btw)

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There are no 1-3ms input lag monitors in existence.

The writer is probably thinking of pixel response time, which is

A) not input lag

and

B) a useless number since manufacturers do not have a standardized testing method (at least that's what linus said on an old wan show)

On the best monitors, input lag is about 10ms.

On the best tvs, input lag is about 15-20ms, which is actually extremely good compared to older tvs.

Yes it would be nice if tvs could have 10ms input lag, but 20ms is still perfectly fine for gaming, and 1-3ms is completely unreasonable.

(PS- If a monitor was to have 1ms input lag, it would need to be running at a minimum of 1000fps, btw)

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

I think we said 1-5ms processing lag.  We didn't want to get into saying we actually wanted about 16ms total lag because most people think every monitor is 1ms and it could have been confusing.

4 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I think we said 1-5ms processing lag.  We didn't want to get into saying we actually wanted about 16ms total lag because most people think every monitor is 1ms and it could have been confusing.

Make a techquickie on this topic to clear it up for the masses of people ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. Make sure it has 1-2 Thunderbolt 3 ports on it because Intel is bringing DDR4 to the...(nvm) but Intel is making Thunderbolt 3 on CPU so the input PCI-E problem with like external graphics docks should be fixed, but what i was seriously thinking is you could use Thunderbolt 3 (or 4 if it needs more bandwidth) to have a port to connect a Gaming TV with a desktop PC. It could transfer Video, Audio, Freesync (via DP...maybe), low input, high resolution, and support all the input devices. 

2. What exactly are the 25-ish RCA type looking connectors on the front/back of the TV?

3. Maybe include a separate processing unit like a Raspberry Pi to use for some stuff like Plex, Kodi, other Pi apps for like a client?