We Designed the ULTIMATE Gaming TV

Love the idea, and have some suggestions for a down-price version: there are people out there who want high performance parts but don't wan't to buy a bunch of shit we don't necessarily need. (all those many many ports, speakers, bells and whistles...). 

I just don't want to pay for a bunch of ports I don't need. Just have a few HDMI and a Display port in. 
Many people Just don't notice anything above 60hz, so just make sure its rock solid at that. 
TV interpolation of images drives people crazy, so have the budget just do the 4:1 upsample. 

The bluetooth is a nice touch, remotes are so 90s. 

And that's it. No speakers, no legacy ports, no fancy expensive image processor. 

Then make it massive. I'm essentially trying to say I'm looking for a large (lol like 80 inch) OLED monitor I can wallmount that isn't stupid expensive. 

There's a large market of people who like high quality products but simply don't want to pay for what they dont need. 

You could also offer a "choose your feature" pricing model and make all the additional components modular. 

And some flagship features you could consider - a built in wifi router/repeater so the tv can jack into the home eithernet/wifi and boost the signal to nearby devices. Even go a bit further and put a modem in the tv to power the wifi with the coax line + Coax/ant for local signal pickup (usefull if your area is in state of emergency). Bonus - operate as a fiber modem with 10gb out.

I also like the idea of the OLED box/line/tv that the window video had. Put all the various connectors and hardware in a little box on the bottom,and the rest of the tv is super light. Detachable for wall mounting, but comes mounted with a stand. 

Also my years working as a tech for telus tell me you want to have the ability to re-calibrate the colours at a later date hidden in the diagnostic menu [with ample warnings and stoppers]. People do dumb shit to their tv's - have personal preferences of what looks "right" or hardware failures over time require calibration to "live with" a fault until total bricking. 

Quite proud of LTT actually, they didn't just strap a 1080ti testbench to a telly and call it a day :D

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

I agree to many things Linus requested in the video.But:

VESA: I don't know what TVs you are used to, but the TVs I use do have VESA mounts.

BT-Remote: As already mentioned, Bluetooth may use more battery power as a simple dumb IR-remote.

Why so many coaxial Inputs and no SCART connector?

How do you receive the TV Signal? One may also need one RF connector for DVB-S2,T2,C each.

Also nice to have: real power switch for 0W power compsumtion. Even modern standby PSU use several dozens of Milliwatt.

But most importantly: Disable overscan on all inputs. Why the hell is this even still a thing in the digital era? Nothing is more stupid than connecting a TV to a computer, setting correct resolution but still having a terrible picture, because the dumb TV scales the picture by few percent cropping the picture.

Maybe one could also wish Thunderbolt as universal AIO interface for connecting AV-receivers.

Bluetooth only remote? What about infrared too? Rather than designing a specific remote app it should have a standard API for so you arent restricted to a bad app for remote on your phone just because the preincluded remote has run out of batteries.

if only linus did this to dell for alienware AGA for option to stop the laptop from disabling onboard GPU, im sick of this as not only cant i address more GPUs but this bios feature causes non GPUs to not work.

so whats the difference between a  tv and a monitor??

40 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

so whats the difference between a  tv and a monitor??

technically speaking, a TV has a TUNER for receiving over the air television signals, a monitor doesn't.

beyond that monitors often lack many of the image processing features TV's have for video upscaling and may or may not include speakers where it is next to impossible to find a TV that does not have a built-in speaker, Monitors often have faster response times (mainly due to the aforementioned lack of image processing), honestly the line is pretty blurry, I generally just refer to the lack of a tuner as the difference, because even in marketing material if you go look around at new TV's you will see Vizio has a line of "TV's" that lacks a tuner and they call them "home theater displays" instead of televisions due to the lack of the tuner.

Quad panel display, so it can recieve 4 inputs simultaneously and display them all at once; picking a single sound source OR having bluetooth sound to headphones unique for each panel. 4 Player is back!

Or you could grab that 4K LG 43" monitor, a XRGB Framemeister and a sound bar, which would probably still be cheaper then what TV manufacturers would sell a TV for. Probably going to do this in my gaming room.

You had me at 42 inches, 1080P 120 HZ, low input lag, good colors, 1:4 image scaling, and Freesync (better have LFC)! I've been looking for a new display and that's everything I want in one and freaking NO ONE MAKES IT!

I reached out to a few companies that make custom Monitors and not even they would make a display with these specs for me. :(

Since you will use your pc mostly on it and for 5000$, the tv must cover 99% of DCI-P3, 99% of AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB which will gives 85% of Rec.2020. 

It also must detect the source resolution, color space and whether it has HDR metadata.

BTW, because of the oled panel flexibility, it would be nice to stretch it manually to change its aspect ratio

On 8/30/2017 at 2:59 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The only thing I would change is I would put the IO on the back like what TV'S do now, it would mean the bezel on the bottom could be thinned down to make the TV look bigger than it actually is.  

I LOVE moving my tv to plug anything in temporarily. Would love it even more if it was mounted. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

29 minutes ago, dlf said:

If it was actually made also a ~68.58cm (27 inch for non-metric) size. The theoretical TV could be interesting but I don't think I'd be buying a 40-70" display.

If you're gonna approximate using centimetres, don't use decimals. Just put "~69cm".