SteamVR to support Microsoft VR Platform, MORE $299-$399 headsets

The Benjamins

Screen-Shot-2017-05-11-at-1.07.00-PM-800

I am happy to see Steam is going to support these headsets, It is awesome to see a lot of competition in the gaming VR space. I hope this drives innovation and pushes down prices.

When Microsoft first unveiled the Windows 10 Creators Update last year, a big focus was put on the virtual reality capabilities, with Redmond promising a range of VR headsets with prices starting at just $299. When the Creators Update actually arrived in March this year, however, those VR capabilities were only visible if you enabled developer mode; they were there for developers, but not for the general public. The Fall Creators Update, due to be finalized next month, will remove the developer mode restriction, opening up Microsoft's 3D platform to all.

In time for this year's holiday season, there will be $299 headsets and $399 headset-and-motion-controller bundles, using Microsoft's new motion controllers. Aside from the price, the Windows platform has a few features that make it stand out from SteamVR and the HTC Vive and Facebook's Oculus Rift. The first is substantially easier setup, as the Windows platform doesn't need fixed base stations for position tracking. Instead, it uses "inside out" tracking; it combines acceleration input from accelerometers with visual input from cameras embedded in the headsets to provide motion tracking. This means that it doesn't need base stations on the walls, nor does it need the laser-based tracking used in the HoloLens headset.

The second big feature is greatly diminished hardware requirements. Microsoft is offering two logo programs. "Windows Mixed Reality PCs" will use integrated graphics (Intel Skylake or better) and be able to drive the headsets at 60 frames per second. "Windows Mixed Reality Ultra PCs" will use discrete graphics processors and drive the headsets at 90 frames per second. As well as the higher frame rates, Ultra systems will have a slightly larger field of view. They'll also be able to mirror the headset's picture on-screen so that bystanders can watch what you're seeing in VR.

Microsoft is also announcing a partnership that may come as a surprise: games built for Valve's SteamVR platform will run on and be compatible with the Windows Mixed Reality headsets. This means that there's an existing library of software that'll work on day one.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/steamvr-games-coming-to-microsofts-299-vr-platform/

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Will Microsoft push it's own store with exclusives or other methods though?

299 for VR without the motion controls (Not a fan personally) if it turns out to be decent enough resolution might be worth checking out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Will Microsoft push it's own store with exclusives or other methods though?

299 for VR without the motion controls (Not a fan personally) if it turns out to be decent enough resolution might be worth checking out.

Well they have a bundle at $399 with Microsoft new motion controllers.

I think Microsoft will have their own exclusives but they are probably more geared to the AR experience that the Rift and Vive can't do.

Note The FOV is a little smaller on these but they have a higher resolution. 95 VS 110

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I think Microsoft will have their own exclusives but they are probably more geared to the AR experience that the Rift and Vive can't do.

Note The FOV is a little smaller on these but they have a higher resolution. 95 VS 110

But I don't want motion controls or AR though: Like most average people I don't have room to have motion controls. Even with shit like the Wii most people had to move around their living room and that was without the inconvenience of cables. That's fucking stupid, I don't care how immersive it might be it's just nothing ready for regular consumers on regular households.

-------

Current Rig

-------

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But I don't want motion controls or AR though: Like most average people I don't have room to have motion controls. Even with shit like the Wii most people had to move around their living room and that was without the inconvenience of cables. That's fucking stupid, I don't care how immersive it might be it's just nothing ready for regular consumers on regular households.

Oops thought you wanted that. I am the same I want a good siting experience. But the AR part helps you to find the keyboard mouse, in a peak mode. but I am just glad to see competition and hopefully it drives down prices and gets us more games/software.

running a good VR experience on IGPUs... sounds like 720p to me...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

running a good VR experience on IGPUs... sounds like 720p to me...

The iGPU part is in refeance to 60hz AR stuff where it is a simpler thing like prototype inspection.

im pretty hyped for cheap VR but i wont be able to buy it because i need all the money i can for my motorbike licence lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Shit, as someone with access to those through profession, these can easily be used in sitting position, with or without controllers, they have by far best resolution, easiest setup and lowest price, yet you complain for sake of complaining. 

And just because you don't want something, doesn't means the market doesn't either. 

16 minutes ago, LePawel said:

Shit, as someone with access to those through profession, these can easily be used in sitting position, with or without controllers, they have by far best resolution, easiest setup and lowest price, yet you complain for sake of complaining. 

And just because you don't want something, doesn't means the market doesn't either. 

Well there's multiple SKUs for them we'll see which one sells better.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Well there's multiple SKUs for them we'll see which one sells better.

They all have different details like finish, materials etc, but looks like same/similar core (screen quality, sensors) 

Title has a typo

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's not surprising considering you can buy a rift or a Vive directly on the microsoft store.

22 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

These headsets can't do AR experiences either. They are VR headsets.

Mixed reality is just Microsoft marketing BS.