Note 8 Reveal, Shot by Linus! He's... Terrible

Well, he did try taking a B-roll of the 2015 Razer Blade.

Guess how well that ended up.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Note 8 on Amazon: http://geni.us/jbTtB

What happens when Linus goes to an event all alone?

at least he didnt steal it xD like he did with project valeriexD 

@LinusTech @nicklmg

WHOA!!!!  Are those actual credit at the end of the video?  Dude that's awesome. Finally you guys decide to put them in when I have been wondering about who worked on which videos.  This will help to give credit on who worked on them, whether it was from the camera guy, editor, writer, etc.  I hope you guys are going to be doing this on your videos starting from this point forward.  Please we can rag on who ever made the bad jokes in them, you will be punish for bad puns.  Also a RED rant will be great to have, you just need to do it in the camera room, just to let your real feeling's known to Brandon about how you feel about these RED's.

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

So um.. Does this mean the camera operators are being replaced by Linus' ineptitude a tripod? 

Also at 5:40-5:50 you missed the perfect opportunity for zoom

This video is terrible in a funny way.

Not the Galaxy Note 8 though, I don't like it.

Still using slippery glass, as really fragile as the Galaxy S8 (which is very fragile) and curved screens on the sides aren't my favourite. (And before you reply, software palm rejection is still software palm rejection, which is still not better than having a bezel.) Also, the screen's too bloody tall. It actually makes my landscape phone usage actually painful.

Oh, and it is much more expensive than Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 and the Galaxy Note 5, when it comes to unlocked launch price. And that price will be more expensive when you factor in the obligatory hidden costs, like a dbrand skin, an Otterbox case, screen protector (because yes, even with Gorilla Glass, you would still need one in case you don't want its screen to be scratched), etc.

And yet I'm no longer into this Galaxy Note line anymore since Samsung's unfortunate fate of the Galaxy Note line from the much-loved-by-Android-nerds-and-power-users line into a mainstream line. The Note 8 is still a Galaxy S8+ with a more blockier design, a Wacom stylus, a bigger screen size and an additional telephoto camera with OIS. And again, with a bigger price to pay.

I edit after I post, so wait until I'm done editing if you're about to reply.

The Angry Computersmasher - were I probably rant about stuff that irks me.

I hope Linus stress tests the Note 7 by opening a lot of apps and see if the memory management is good if that 6GB RAM is worth it as well as review the power management when idle. Will it drop battery bars if it's constantly syncing multiple email accounts while on wifi and cellular data? 

But then, $930 for a phone that doesn't use NVME? I don't know if Samsung's pricing here is justified. I think that absurd pricing is their way of recovering their immense losses after the Note 7 recall. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

But then, $930 for a phone that doesn't use NVME? I don't know if Samsung's pricing here is justified. I think that absurd pricing is their way of recovering their immense losses after the Note 7 recall. 

I"m going to agree with this. I don't know how Samsung couldn't fit NVMe into a flagship phone that costs near a grand.

Also, 6GB of RAM? How inefficient is TouchWiz going to be this time?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I"m going to agree with this. I don't know how Samsung couldn't fit NVMe into a flagship phone that costs near a grand.

Also, 6GB of RAM? How inefficient is TouchWiz going to be this time?

I don't think that 6GB LPDDR4 RAM nor those two hardware stabilized cameras are enough to justify the cost. Samsung makes good SSDs like the 960 Evo and they didn't put something similar to the Note 8. It's all about recovering from financial losses.

23 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

It's all about recovering from financial losses.

Even then, Apple already laid some groundwork in showing how NVMe can benefit a mobile device. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Even then, Apple already laid some groundwork in showing how NVMe can benefit a mobile device. 

Which makes you wonder why there are NVMe naysayers in this forum xD

That was kinda painful to watch.  I hope that some (most?) of that was playing up Linus' sense of humor and oh look I drop everything persona for the video.  I really hope with as much experience as the team has that you don't send someone so unprepared in the wild with no support and, pardon my shudder, no charge cables.  

Though the issues with the equipment is something else.  At what point do you decide that something like that is too much trouble than it's worth, and you're just chasing the investment where you sink so much money into the investment and keep excusing, troubleshooting, and sinking more money and effort into it.  

Anyone else see the dead pixel on the RED's sensor? :(

And no, it's not on my screen. It moves if I resize the video and/or the footage is cropped.

It's on the mid-line of the video and about 3/4 - 4/5 to the right of the image.

Really obvious white dot at 06:39 as the phone is panned across the black screen

Shame :(

----------------------------
        Weem

27 minutes ago, WeeemRCB said:

Anyone else see the dead pixel on the RED's sensor? :(

And no, it's not on my screen. It moves if I resize the video and/or the footage is cropped.

It's on the mid-line of the video and about 3/4 - 4/5 to the right of the image.

Really obvious white dot at 06:39 as the phone is panned across the black screen

Shame :(

Thanks. Now I can't unsee it :o

On 2017-08-25 at 3:45 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Like you were told in the other thread, NVMe is really not that much better than the UFS memory Samsung uses, so I am not sure why you keep going on and on about it.

UFS results are from the Galaxy S 8. NVMe results are from the iPhone 7. All of them are in MBps (higher is better) and taken from Anandtech.

Please note that the NVMe results are from StorageBench, and the Android results are from AndroBench so they are not 1:1 comparable, but should be a fairly decent indicator anyway.

Sequential Read

UFS - 414

NVMe - 411

Sequential Write

UFS - 70

NVMe - 150

Random Read

UFS - 17

NVMe - 19

Random Writes

UFS - 3.95

NVMe - 2.33

On 2017-08-25 at 5:51 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Which makes you wonder why there are NVMe naysayers in this forum xD

It's not that there are NVMe naysayers on this forum.

It's that you are drastically underestimating UFS, and overestimating NVMe. The argument that the iPhone is better value than the Note 8 because it has NVMe storage does not really hold any water. Both have very good storage solutions and that really should not be a factor when choosing between the two. There are far bigger differentiating factors to consider, like the screen, OS, screen size, stylus, ecosystem, SoC, and the list goes on.

I'd be more welcoming to the curved bezel if I wasn't so sure that I would just fatfinger the screen all the time.

Also, have they added the ability to make the S Pen button the same as touching the screen?