Talk about getting 'locked out' of your own house!

razaldo
11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Remember the first law of the internet - What goes up doesn't come down

I almost need to add that to my sig, but it's too much work to do from my phone 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Holy sheet. What a coincidence that I had trouble getting in today, luckily I only had to wait half an hour.

Normal keys are just too much of a hassle I guess.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

23 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I still prefer mechanical locks and metal keys. My car though is keyless. 

Well, in the US you just need to buy a stick shift to burglar proof your car. Most thugs have no idea how to drive stick

11 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I control 40+ buildings throughout the city. Im not wasting time traveling to each system locally. Thats money wasted as my time holds a monetary value. They all communicate back to home base for centralized control and immidiate execution of changes. 

Doesn't the safety of your customers hold monetary value?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, boblikepie said:

I have a few thoughts on this. I do think that it's a good idea that they do have OTA firmware updates cause at least they have the ability to provide security patches to these devices (which a lot don't seem to be able to).

Its really not, just one more attack vector waiting to be exploited... This whole smart junk mania will explode into the users face one day. The best thing to do with these if there is no alternative(for instance there are only smart TV's on the market) is to isolate them from the internet and your LAN...

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Doesn't the safety of your customers hold monetary value?

There really isnt any risk. You can only control the locks from the Management software with plenty of DRM. And each lock can be manually overridden with a key that needs a 17,000$ machine to produce, with more DRM to run said machine. And each BLANK is 50$. 

There are plenty of devices that run over the internet without any real risk. And as my primary position is IT Admin, its also my job to make sure of that. Firmware updates can only be sent via hardwire connection to each lock. And while thats a pain in the butt, it prevents sending out broken firmwares to thousands of locks at once. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 8/15/2017 at 2:28 AM, Master Disaster said:

Theres a reason why almost 100% of MoBo manufacturers use some kind of redundant firmware backup, be it an auto flashing backup at the point of failure or a dual firmware solution. Heck the recent trend has been to offer an inbuilt external flashing method that works even if the board is bricked (BIOS Flashback)

This is that reason (well partly to cover from bad firmware updates but also because of customer stupidity)

Yep, I admit that I was once stupid enough to power off my system during a bios update... thankfully it was physically removable so I was able to order a new one rather than buying a completely new motherboard.

1 hour ago, ElfFriend said:

Yep, I admit that I was once stupid enough to power off my system during a bios update... thankfully it was physically removable so I was able to order a new one rather than buying a completely new motherboard.

While I've never had an issue with BIOS flash failure, I've long used Gigabyte boards specifically because of their dual-BIOS feature (I used them before that feature existed as well, that was just one more reason to continue doing so).  I like knowing that if something corrupts the primary BIOS, it will automatically switch to the backup BIOS.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

While I've never had an issue with BIOS flash failure, I've long used Gigabyte boards specifically because of their dual-BIOS feature (I used them before that feature existed as well, that was just one more reason to continue doing so).  I like knowing that if something corrupts the primary BIOS, it will automatically switch to the backup BIOS.

It's a really nice feature for hardcore LN2 overclocking too, or just memory overclocking in general. But you won't be poring LN2 and overclocking these locks any time soon I'm guessing xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's a really nice feature for hardcore LN2 overclocking too, or just memory overclocking in general. But you won't be poring LN2 and overclocking these locks any time soon I'm guessing xD

So what? I dont think that a second backup flash would cost that much(or just dump this smart BS). These things dont need huge flash memory to hold their software. An 8Mb chip is under 2€...

On 8/15/2017 at 7:52 PM, boblikepie said:

I have a few thoughts on this. I do think that it's a good idea that they do have OTA firmware updates cause at least they have the ability to provide security patches to these devices (which a lot don't seem to be able to). What I don't understand is why there's no recovery firmware. I haven't seen the devices myself but why isn't there a button on the locked side (seems you can still use a physical key to unlock it) that can rollback to the previous update or install a new firmware.

However and maybe I'm just getting old but I don't understand the crazy for "smart" devices like this, thermostats, smart fridges, things like Google Home. All I see is not only giving away your privacy but potentially someone even going as far as burning down your home. Every time I go to the movies there's an add for the Telstra smart home and being able to turn off say your hair straightener from your movie seat because you forgot to before you left, if someone got into your "smart home" account who knows what damage they could do to your property. Maybe this is finally the point where I can say I'm not hip anymore.

If there was a button to roll back and a criminal found a security hole but the company patched it, they could just go, roll and it back then break in

This is why internet of things = internet of shit

These system should be completely disconnected from the grid and only accessible from within the house on a wired device. That did still not 100% safe but will be less likelx to shit on you on every given day by an order of magnitude. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

14 hours ago, borisdarker said:

If there was a button to roll back and a criminal found a security hole but the company patched it, they could just go, roll and it back then break in

I wasn't very clear in my original post by "locked side" I meant as in inside your home which would mean that to rollback someone would've already had to of broken into your home to roll the lock back.