AMD Vega 64 mining performance below Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Tom's Hardware benchmarked RX Vegas Ethereum mining performance in their RX Vega review. The results of the benchmark show that the AMD RX Vega 64's Ethereum mining score is lower than the GTX 1080 Ti.

The latest version of Claymore’s Dual Ethereum AMD/Nvidia GPU Miner (v9.8) includes support for Radeon RX Vega, so that’s what we used for our mining benchmark.

AMD’s Radeon RX Vega 64 isn’t the mining monster many might have hoped, at least right out of the box under Claymore’s current build.aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9W

Hopefully this means that the price of the RX Vega cards will not be as inflated as other high end GPU's, as it is much more cost effective and profitable option to stick with the RX 400 and 500 series of GPU's due to RX Vegas price and power consumption.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64,5173-16.html

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That 390X (290X) showing it is the true champ. The 290X(390X) was the last great card from AMD IMO.

I thought it was the 7970, 4870 and 5870?

Oh times before AMD took over ATi.. yeah.

good news guys good news :)

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

2 minutes ago, StarsOfPaleidas said:

2 minutes ago, StarsOfPaleidas said:

The 290X was a really good card, and it lasted forever. The stock blower cooler was crap but the GPU was amazing.

at the time my 290x was about the same as my friends 780, but now his 780 gets a lot less frames then mine.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That 390X (290X) showing it is the true champ. The 290X(390X) was the last great card from AMD IMO.

I can get my 290X's hashing around the 33 mark each if I push them :) 

what i want to know is why dont they change the drivers to not allow that type of ASIC processing on non enterprize cards???

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

1 minute ago, MrMarriarty said:

what i want to know is why dont they change the drivers to not allow that type of ASIC processing on non enterprize cards???

Because the company doesn't care. They made a ton of money, why would they stop selling them to miners?

We as gamers hate miners, but the companies make their money and I have no problem with that. It might also be illegal, I'm not sure.

Just now, theninja35 said:

Because the company doesn't care. They made a ton of money, why would they stop selling them to miners?

We as gamers hate miners, but the companies make their money and I have no problem with that.

you wouldnt youd just make more money out the miners!

Well bad news for Nvidia: The 1070 is still viable given it's TDP vs Hash rate: probably means than the Vega 56 will overtake it....IF the volume of them is reasonable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

Because AMD needs to make money, that's how the world works.

Vega  64 has been pushed up to 40mhs AFAIK with memory OC's

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Vega  64 has been pushed up to 40mhs AFAIK with memory OC's

I suspect vega 56 will be close to this as it has a very similar memory configuration

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 minute ago, Terryv said:

I suspect vega 56 will be close to this as it has a very similar memory configuration

Let's say it manages 34 or 35, it's still close to 300 watts: getting polaris still makes more sense cause of the lower power consumption. The only thing that would hurt a lot is availability of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, StarsOfPaleidas said:

My Crossfired XFX 7970 Setup is still to this day one of my favorite computer setups i've ever owned.

Good times.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Let's say it manages 34 or 35, it's still close to 300 watts: getting polaris still makes more sense cause of the lower power consumption. The only thing that would hurt a lot is availability of course.

You can legit put cards to 40%tdp for Eth, the mining is all memory based you can kill the core clock.

I'm assuming you can put it down to 60% minimum and see no effect on hasherate.

20 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

Miners make their own custom firmwares. Asic being disabled/removed wouldnt make a difference. Especially that its already out there. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

You can legit put cards to 40%tdp for Eth, the mining is all memory based you can kill the core clock.

I'm assuming you can put it down to 60% minimum and see no effect on hasherate.

Yet if you can tame Vega you can also tame Polaris, which is cheaper and has better Hash vs power rate to begin with. I understand that these cards could be used and probably will but I just don't think that previous cards go away: Looking at the graph from the OP you can clearly see just how far ahead Polaris is in hash per watt and per price too, it makes sense they're so popular to mine with.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

under-volting the core will fix power usage difference. crypto mining is memory intensive and core compute means little

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Miners make their own custom firmwares. Asic being disabled/removed wouldnt make a difference. Especially that its already out there. 

i just feel they could have done more, i agree its way too late now but WHY

I'm soooo bothered by this. Not.

I honestly don't see the appeal of mining. You're making what, $1-2, net, per $300-500 GPU, per day, for the more recognizable "currencies"? Seems like a giant waste of time and resources to me, when you can pick up more change on the sidewalk than you can get by mining each day.

29 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I'm soooo bothered by this. Not.

I honestly don't see the appeal of mining. You're making what, $1-2, net, per $300-500 GPU, per day, for the more recognizable "currencies"? Seems like a giant waste of time and resources to me, when you can pick up more change on the sidewalk than you can get by mining each day.

during the high points you could make 5-10$ per day. and pay off the GPU in a month. but if you have it run for half a year you could make $1000-$2000 per GPU. so people with farms could easily make $1000-$4000 per month.

Also if you follow the trend of BTC you could gamble on making money of the rising value. back in 2013 (i think) I mined about $150 on my 290x which was about 11 BTC. if I kept it versus selling (I had no idea what it was) I could be at $40000.

So if you had a good investment fund and started at the right time. you could live off of running miners.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I did't know the fury was any good at mining. Then again I know nothing about mining. If the fury-x is that good, I'm going to sell it on craigslist. At 1200 ghz OC I assume it will be even better. When is the vega release date

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.