How do I convince a friend to build a PC?

MasterPotato
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
15 hours ago, MasterPotato said:

I can't convince my friend to build a PC. He keeps showing me prebuilts that have a damn AMD A4 7300. 

I would ask him WHY he is showing you pre-builts.

We have several variables here:

1. He's looking at pre-builts, so he clearly wants a Windows PC, not a console

2. Perhaps he's worried about the building process itself, or thinks he will get a better deal with a pre-built

3. He might value the "all-in-one" nature of the warranty for a pre-built (One point of contact to get any of the parts fixed)

You might consider showing him something like NCIX -pre-configured customizable PC's (Or somewhere like Micro Center) - where they basically just build a computer for you for a $50 fee, and give you a one-year warranty.

Or alternatively, you could offer to show him how to build it. He buys all the parts, and you and him build it together.

You also need to ask him what the computer is for. If he wants to game, you'll need to show him benchmark videos and graphs that compare different CPU's and what FPS they give (same with GPU's).

He needs to decide a budget, then you should part out the best PC you can for that budget and show him the build.

MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE FULL LEGAL RETAIL WINDOWS IN YOUR PART LIST, and any other peripherals he might need (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers/Headphones, etc, as needed).

I can't convince my friend to build a PC. He keeps showing me prebuilts that have a damn AMD A4 7300. 

Unfriend him

4 minutes ago, MasterPotato said:

Well what does he want to do with it? If he's not a hard-core gamer, then let him be. An A4 platform will serve him well even for light gaming. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well what does he want to do with it? If he's not a hard-core gamer, then let him be. An A4 platform will serve him well even for light gaming. 

Overwatch, Cod WW2, basically all the newest games. He currently plays on a PS4 and he's pretty competetive

tell him to listen to you and to stop being a console peasant. lol . I'm kidding.

An honest answer would be to just link him to all these good videos like linus or jayz ect.... educate him that building is how it's done.

or heck just build it for him

inspire him by getting him hooked on power hungry games like crysis

3 hours ago, MasterPotato said:

AMD A4 7300

I have one of these for a fileserver. I wouldnt try play a game on it. Tell them the A4 only has one FPU which makes It's performance equivalent to a 10 year old single core pc that is over-clocked.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 hours ago, MasterPotato said:

AMD A4 7300. 

I wish all non-Ryzen AMD CPUs would just be scrapped for gold or something so people would stop buying them.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

4 hours ago, emosun said:

Immediately change your stance , tell him to buy the terrible prebuilt so he'll learn a valuable lesson.

This isn't too far off honestly :P 

Show him the performance you can expect from what he's interested in, and then a sampling of other options and let him pick.  You can't force people to do what you think is right, you have to show them what they want and let them recoil in horror of their own volition xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Show him benchmarks for certain hardware, tell him buying a PC that isn't good enough to play games is throwing money away - if his intention is to be able to play games. Talk to him about future-proofing, and point out how hardware requirements are continually increasing over time, and buying something that's weak right now is going to screw him over for the games that come out over the next few years that he might want to play.

Maybe put together a parts for a decent PC, and offer to build it for him.

But don't be pushy, because people don't like that, and sometimes they'll just to the opposite of what someone who's pushy wants them to do in protest.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

If he's inexperienced with PCs just tell him pre-builts are designed to failed 1 month after the warranty expires so the store can make more money.

If your friend wants a prebuilt then show him to a website where they build PCs but you can choose the parts yourself. Rather than buying a crappy off the shelf PC..

Or if that doesn't work. Tell him to buy a second -hand PC and use that to game.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

give him a build at the same price bracket that destroys the prebuilt. and offer to build it for him (or help him build it)

or link him this

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

For competitive gaming like shooters and the like, explain to him how 120/144 hz displays will give him an edge. Show him photos and vids from big tech tubers like LTT, Jayz etc and their builds.

People can build some pretty sweet looking systems these days with just off the counter retail stuff even on a budget these days, no reason for a 'gamer' not to make the switch to PC gaming.

you can't, he's probably too stubborn.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

With a pre-built, he gets things like in-store warranty/extended warranty, where he can just take the system and have it repaired/replaced with a newer model free of charge.

With a custom build, he would need to troubleshoot it himself or pay someone to do it, then have to deal with the RMA of the manufacturer.

Considering the average price of computers with an A4 7300, I assume his budget is quite low to begin with, thus, save yourself the headaches of having to solve all his issues later down the line with a custom built PC and let him get that pre-built.

Because be aware, that he will blame you for any and all issues he would have with that custom built, even if it's not related to the hardware itself, this is what always happen when you try to convince someone to do a custom build instead of letting them buy a pre-built. You would essentially become his little tech monkey that has to fix all his issues. So don't, just don't.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Figure out why he doesn't want to build. If he's not buying a PC to play demanding games and only wants to do light tasks like internet browsing and such, then pre-built systems, even with a processor like the A4-7300, are fine. If he wants to play demanding games, then show him that the PC itself is ill-equipped to do the task and show off with your rig. If he's interested in what you did, then you can start talking about it.

However don't hype up anything or push what you want him to do. Your needs are not his needs and if his mind is already more or less set on not building a DIY PC, then don't convince him any further. You'll just aggregate the backfire effect.

Prebuilts aren't all bad. Those who know me know I've built several hundred PCs and my friend ordered from cyberpowerpc for 2 reasons. They offered 3 years no interest, and honestly it was very competitive. He got a 1700x 16gb ram 240gb SSD+2tb HDD GTX 1080 tax and shipping for 1650 (no os), came with a basic keyboard mouse and hyperx headphones. 

He was worried he offended me and he didn't. The fact is even tho I would do it for free it was better priced. Plus we will do a video on it too for my YouTube channel (which just eclipsed 200k total views). I'm just happy he got a nice rig for a good price.

15 hours ago, MasterPotato said:

I would ask him WHY he is showing you pre-builts.

We have several variables here:

1. He's looking at pre-builts, so he clearly wants a Windows PC, not a console

2. Perhaps he's worried about the building process itself, or thinks he will get a better deal with a pre-built

3. He might value the "all-in-one" nature of the warranty for a pre-built (One point of contact to get any of the parts fixed)

You might consider showing him something like NCIX -pre-configured customizable PC's (Or somewhere like Micro Center) - where they basically just build a computer for you for a $50 fee, and give you a one-year warranty.

Or alternatively, you could offer to show him how to build it. He buys all the parts, and you and him build it together.

You also need to ask him what the computer is for. If he wants to game, you'll need to show him benchmark videos and graphs that compare different CPU's and what FPS they give (same with GPU's).

He needs to decide a budget, then you should part out the best PC you can for that budget and show him the build.

MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE FULL LEGAL RETAIL WINDOWS IN YOUR PART LIST, and any other peripherals he might need (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers/Headphones, etc, as needed).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, Emberstone said:

I wish all non-Ryzen AMD CPUs would just be scrapped for gold or something so people would stop buying them.

the will soon when nnew apus come out. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs