Kaspersky Making it's Anti-Virus Solution Free for all .

2000px-Kaspersky_Lab_logo.svg.pnghttps://eugene-kaspersky-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/themes/eugene/assets/images/avatar.png

Kaspersky , a well known multinational cyber-security and anti-virus software provider is celebrating it's 20th Birthday , it was announced on this occasion that there will be a free basic Kaspersky Anti-Virus version being released to the public, The Software manufacturer hasn't had offered a free version of it's top tier software's except for minor free tools & basic free trials which runs it's course around over a month max . Their AV solutions have been on the very best AV choice list in terms of detection & stable program that is light weight & ease of use. General Software reviewers gave the Kaspersky AV solution 4 - 5 star ratings in majority of their reviews

A reminder this is a basic version of the software , meaning you'll get the same time signature updates , Quarantine , Browsing protection , Email scan & the self protection feature to keep the software itself safe from attacks , Hey, it's better than Windows defender . For a lot more premium feature you do need to pay , like parental control, Secure Pay, Virtual KB/Anti-Keylogger , VPN, Customer support , 

kaspersky-free-antivirus-global-launch-3

Hi folks!

I’ve some fantastic, earth-shattering-saving news: we’re announcing the global launch of Kaspersky Free, which, as you may have guessed by the title, is completely free-of-charge! Oh my giveaway!

The software release is set to be done periodically , so depending on the region You might have to wait to get your hands on the free version of the software , The first wave of free version release covers US, Russia,Canada,Sweden,China & a few other countries & rest of them will be released slowly . Countries like India, Hong Kong, Middle East, Africa, Turkey and Latin America will have to wait till September to get their hands on the software ,

Pasted-image-at-2017_07_26-11_51-AM.png

The roll-out won’t be fully global instantaneously; it’s going to be done over four months in waves as per different regions. The first wave will be the U.S.A., Canada, and many of the Asia Pacific countries. September: India, Hong Kong, Middle East, Africa, Turkey and Latin America. October: Europe, Japan and South Korea. November: Vietnam and Thailand. And that, I do believe, will be it – the whole planet covered.

Kaspersky?? Isn't that the Russian company?

A61873D3-BEA8-44BE-9347-3373FE6777D9_w10

Kaspersky recently made a slight headlines as US Congress made a move to blanket ban the Kaspersky products from the PC used by government systems because of feared Manufacturer is based on Russia & might be succumbed to eaves drop from Russian political official influence. The company responded by saying it will provide it's source code directly to the concerned officials to clear up any kind of mistrust issues , Recently few of the US engineers who were working for the company was questioned by the FBI on this topic . But long story short , nothing came up .

" As a private company, Kaspersky Lab has no ties to any government, and the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyberespionage efforts - KS Labs representative "

We’ve been working on this release for a good year-and-a-half, with pilot versions in a few regions, research, analysis, tweaks and the rest of it, and out of all which we deduced the following:

• The free antivirus won’t be competing with our paid-for versions. In our paid-for versions there are many extra features, like: Parental Control, Online Payment Protection, and Secure Connection (VPN), which easily justify the ~$50 for premium protection.
  • There are a lot of users who don’t have the ~$50 to spend on premium protection; therefore, they install traditional freebies (which have more holes than Swiss cheese for malware to slip through) or they even rely on Windows Defender (ye gods!).
  • An increase in the number of installations of Kaspersky Free will positively affect the quality of protection of all users, since the big-data-bases will have more numbers to work with to better hone the machine learning.

kaspersky-free-antivirus-global-launch-1

It’s a version with all the bare essentials: file, email and web antivirus; automatic updates, self-defense; quarantine; and so on. This arsenal ensures convenient and safe web surfing (is it still surfing? Sounds a bit 90s to me), working with USB sticks and other portable storage media, and protection against both phishing and infected files being run. In short, the indispensable basics that no one on the planet should do without.

I think it's a pretty decent move from the company , Lots of free AV solutions out there that offer free solutions , but with this amount of reliable detection & protection offered as free is a pretty good deal , hope they don't do forced registration to run a free version. What are your thoughts on this? POst your thoughts & comments down beloooooooooooooooow

Source:

https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/07/25/kl-av-for-free-secure-the-whole-world-will-be/

Free Version Link :

https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

Details separate people.

I don't feel like looking up sources, but I do know Kaspersky makes headlines from time to time for finding show-stopping security flaws or malware.

I mean, that alone gives them some credibility even if they're Russian.

Didn't know they were a Russian company but I do know that they are considered very very high end in terms of protection and are very much trusted in terms of security. They tend to come up near the top of antivirus/antimalware lists all the time as well. Good to see they're having a free version come out. I now want to see how they compare to Bitdefender, AVG, and the likes in terms of performance, false positives, etc.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

If only Kaspersky worked on Macs and Androids... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Droidbot said:

Why bloat your system with shitty AV like this when you can use Common Sense Pro 2017

Sounds expensive and difficult to install.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I'm not usually a big fan of downloading AV software (Common sense is all you really need most of the time), but I might well download it if there is no registration or anything involved. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Why bloat your system with shitty AV like this when you can use Common Sense Pro 2017

Only reason I currently use malware-bytes. Very non-intrusive.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Sounds expensive and difficult to install.

it is for dumb end users

idk

I haven't used them since I switched over to ESET NOD32, best AV I've ever had. It doesn't use up a lot of system resources, does passive scanning, and is updated almost weekly with new AV database. I wouldn't use Kaspersky free version even if they paid me lol. 

15 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

A reminder this is a basic version of the software , meaning you'll get the same time signature updates , Quarantine , Browsing protection , Email scan & the self protection feature to keep the software itself safe from attacks , Hey, it's better than Windows defender . For a lot more premium feature you do need to pay , like parental control, Secure Pay, Virtual KB/Anti-Keylogger , VPN, Customer support , 

I don't think the free version has their proprietary System Watcher feature which is their way of blocking unknown ransomware* and rolling back unwanted encryption. 

19 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

As a private company, Kaspersky Lab has no ties to any government, and the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyberespionage efforts - KS Labs representative "

If journalists of Bloomberg would do research properly, they'll find that Kaspersky Lab uncovered a lot of nefarious Russian cybercrime like the Carbanak malware used to steal money from banks. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

They do have apps for both Macs and Android 

https://www.kaspersky.com/internet-security 

I'm surprised it took 13 minutes for someone to say that.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm surprised it took 13 minutes for someone to say that.

it's only available as a paid version , with just trial if i'm right. Not a free version .

Details separate people.

Just now, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

The question that should be asked: How aggressive are the nags to upgrade to their premium packages? Can they be turned off?

They don't give any notifications aside from the occasional "update definitions" and "run a full scan" if you haven't updated in a while and don't have scheduled scans. 

Just now, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

E.g. Avast Free allows a "silent/gaming" option that stops non essential notifications, including marketing. You have to open the AV interface itself to see them. Not all AV packages allow this.

Kaspersky has it as well by default.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

The question that should be asked: How aggressive are the nags to upgrade to their premium packages? Can they be turned off?

E.g. Avast Free allows a "silent/gaming" option that stops non essential notifications, including marketing. You have to open the AV interface itself to see them. Not all AV packages allow this.

There's an option in the settings which will disable all notifications while gaming as well as postpone scheduled tasks like scanning when CPU usage is high (e.g. 1080p gaming at high settings or video editing). 

https://support.kaspersky.com/12993 

I get Malwarebytes, right, but what makes this a more attractive option compared to say Windows Defender?

"If you ain't first, you're last"

1 minute ago, Memories4K said:

I get Malwarebytes, right, but what makes this a more attractive option compared to say Windows Defender?

probably the detection rate & it's light GUI , good thing about free AV is you're not stuck with a period of usage like you have to do with payed versions, You find it less appealing you can uninstall & re-install as you please .

Details separate people.

8 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/MRG-Effitas-360-Assessment-2017-Q1_wm.pdf 

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/ 

Windows Defender is no doubt had gotten a lot better but I'll at the moment, I'll stick to my subscription of Kaspersky. 

I've been using malwarebytes for the past couple of years and I haven't had any issues. So why should I download some Russian anti virus software?

9 minutes ago, Tech Learner said:

I've been using malwarebytes for the past couple of years and I haven't had any issues. So why should I download some Russian anti virus software?

You don't , same option as to choosing not to install Norton over EsetNod or BitDefender . Depends on which one you want that can work for you .

Details separate people.

I've been using Kaspersky since KIS 2009 and never had a virus slip through. Any phishing attempts/malware attacks have all been successfully blocked by KIS. Love their software. Those Russians take their security seriously. Honestly, I'd be lost without Kaspersky. It's refreshing to see them offer a valid product to people for free.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

You don't , same option as to choosing not to install Norton over EsetNod or BitDefender . Depends on which one you want that can work for you .

My uncle is an IT Tech person and he says Norton is a bad antivirus system to use. AVG is really bad because it doesn't uninstall itself all the way.