Intel 12-core i9-7920X features a 2.9GHz base clock.

FishTea
4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The SK-X will have Turbo Boost 3.0 enabled, where I think the Xeons don't? So they expect to pin single cores higher, which could mean their thermal envelope is being reached. At least for the requirements they've made on the Motherboard manufacturers. What it'll all-core on water to is going to be interesting. Base-clock matters, but the Boost Clocks are where the important levels are. (Base is a bit more important in server space, correct?)

That 4.2Ghz is the single core boost, all core boost is typically 500Mhz above base*

*For Xeons.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That 4.2Ghz is the single core boost, all core boost is typically 500Mhz above base*

*For Xeons.

Okay, that makes sense. The general, all-core "turbo" is actually kind of important but never normally mentioned? (AMD isn't much better, but it's normally easier to find.) 

Still, if we assume the 7920X will settle in around 3.5 Ghz all-core, that's pretty much a 6x G4560 CPU. That's going to be toasty, regardless. Because Zen cores are quite a lot more power efficient (or, maybe more accurately, Intel pushed the Skylake performance by simply running more power through Broadwell designs), we're going to be seeing this comparison issue for a while. Though I really do look forward to the $700USD custom loops with 3 Rads to keep an OC'd 7980XE working. "4 GHZ ALL-CORE TURBO! It's only 750w at the wall!". 

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

This 12c Skylake-X is oddly worse than the Xeon lineup clock wise which is not normally the case.

So people would still have the reason to buy Xeons for workstation and not i9?

Sorry for bad Ingrish

23 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, I don't know if 2.2 or what, but judging by how things were on the server side, a downwards slope in clocks is to be expected as the core count increases. There are issues with clocking more cores higher, and issues with staying within TDP for the platform. Overclocking may lift the second restriction, providing there are sufficiently "overkill" motherboards, and face only the first limitation, but for stock base clocks there will be a stricter limitation.

I mean, did anyone expect 7700K clocks in each of the 18 cores?

I'm really intrigued about how thinks will work out for Threadripper. Being 2 dies glued togetherTM, in principle it will have no problem getting each core to 1800X speed, or even OC'ing to the same ~4.0GHz ceiling. However, that will come at roughly linear increase in power draw compared to the consumer chips. Even assuming heat dissipation is not an issue due to the larger surface area, will it cause excessive stress on X399 motherboards? Will we get another der8auer video? :P Or is the energy efficiency high enough that most of the distance can be covered at the rated TDP?

If at the end of the day TR clocks higher at high core counts, we could have an interesting, non-trivial comparison between platforms, potentially with the single-threaded performance gap reverting as the core count increases. That would be would news for channels like LTT, as there would be a lot to discuss and explain...

Well Ryzen at 4GHz draws around 100A so TR might do 200A, which is totally fine tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

You realise 100A would blow a fuse/trip the breaker when plugged into a residential socket?

Single Socket: 13A Max

Dual Socket: 26A Max

I think he meant an extra 100W which makes sense for an overclocked 1800X; since stock 1800X draws as much as a 7700K.

So an extra 200W max on Threadripper to get all 16/12 cores to 3.9/4.0Ghz.

Arctic have already announced TR4 compatible AIOs, and their single RAD is rated for 250W DTP. With 240 and 360mm versions as well.

https://videocardz.com/newz/arctic-announces-liquid-freezer-compatibility-with-ryzen-threadripper

ARCTIC-Threadripper-Cooler.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

18 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

You realise 100A would blow a fuse/trip the breaker when plugged into a residential socket?

100A @ ~1.4v, is 140W. That conversion happens at the PSU, you're not drawing 100A from the socket.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I think he meant an extra 100W which makes sense for an overclocked 1800X; since stock 1800X draws as much as a 7700K.

An 1800X at 4GHz would be around 180W. Post is irrelevant @Drak3 just reminded me a PSU is essentially a transformer and I'm retarded.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

100A @ ~1.4v, is 140W. That conversion happens at the PSU, you're not drawing 100A from the socket.

LMFAO wow I must be tired. Yeah ok... *shrinks away into nothingness* *deletes engineer profession from profile*

34 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Nvm I was being dense.

Yes, quite dense indeed lol. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

LMFAO wow I must be tired. Yeah ok... *shrinks away into nothingness* *deletes engineer profession from profile*

You probably just need your fill of coffee tbh. 

27 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

So an extra 200W max on Threadripper to get all 16/12 cores to 3.9/4.0Ghz.

Arctic have already announced TR4 compatible AIOs, and their single RAD is rated for 250W DTP. With 240 and 360mm versions as well.

https://videocardz.com/newz/arctic-announces-liquid-freezer-compatibility-with-ryzen-threadripper

ARCTIC-Threadripper-Cooler.jpg

No 100A 1.425V for an 1800X. So ~145W, with TR being about double that probably at 190W overclocked. 

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

True I have only had 1 today and its 1pm...

I've had 4 cups and 2 cups mixed with chocolate too. I do a lot of paperwork and was up late af yesterday lol

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I've had 4 cups and 2 cups mixed with chocolate too. I do a lot of paperwork and was up late af yesterday lol

I'm normally 3 deep by now but I've been busy this morning at work :P I did alright got a solid 6 hours sleep.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I'm normally 3 deep by now but I've been busy this morning at work :P I did alright got a solid 6 hours sleep.

Yah I'm usually only 2-3 cups deep right now, but the lack of sleep made me need some more to survive in a decent mood

Builds:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Tedny said:

I about e5 series, I don't about those you can'tt buy on amazon

E5 go up to 4600 dollars iirc.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Let me be the one to say, that soldering would probbably fix that problem.

i7 7700k was running too hot? Intel said that users shouldn't overclock it.

i9 12c CPU running hot? lets decrease frequency of it.

So on 18 core model they will put it to 2GHz?

In next generation they will suggest users to manually downclock CPUs?

And generation after that they will suggest us to disable some cores?

Why aren't they soldering those CPUs ?? It's a serious question. 7700k was unabl to be soldered due to small die size. I don't think skylake-x is too small in size to be soldered ... is there any other problem?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

50 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Let me be the one to say, that soldering would probbably fix that problem.

i7 7700k was running too hot? Intel said that users shouldn't overclock it.

i9 12c CPU running hot? lets decrease frequency of it.

So on 18 core model they will put it to 2GHz?

In next generation they will suggest users to manually downclock CPUs?

And generation after that they will suggest us to disable some cores?

Why aren't they soldering those CPUs ?? It's a serious question. 7700k was unabl to be soldered due to small die size. I don't think skylake-x is too small in size to be soldered ... is there any other problem?

I believe the "don't OC" was about a laptop device.

I also don't think the lack of solder is a "problem" for Intel. Yes, you can't get as much OC out of a CPU, but the TIM will last for a long time. That's the point of it and Intel is a server-maker first. The Zen die appears to have been thermal transfer/ability to be soldered comparative to Intel's current designs.

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

True I have only had 1 today and its 1pm...

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I typically have 2 (20oz) cups per day.

25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I typically have 2 (20oz) cups per day.

if im working i usiually drink atleast 2 cups a day, if im at school 0 cups, i just drink some REALLY black tea in the morning and thats usiually enough lel

Builds:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

This lovely WCCF source says it has a max boost of 4.0Ghz.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-7920x-full-specifications-leak/

That is not good, looks like the AMD 12 & 16 cores will beat it and all the others up to 16 cores.

Multiplier goes up to 44 :/

Unless they meant all core boost which would be really high if it's at 4.0

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

This lovely WCCF source says it has a max boost of 4.0Ghz.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-7920x-full-specifications-leak/

That is not good, looks like the AMD 12 & 16 cores will beat it and all the others up to 16 cores.

How did you arrive to this conclusion based on the max boost clock? Max boost of the 7700k is 4.5ghz, and yet we run 5.2ghz on them all the time. The max clock speeds of these CPU's are going to be determined by the quality of your motherboard and cooling solution. You can still achieve 4.5ghz+ if you have a great board with a solid VRM and an extremely potent cooling solution. A delid is certainly going to be required to hit higher than 4.5ghz, but it's also not outside of the realm of possibilities, as Der8auer seems quite confident that his tool will be out soon.

Either way, AMD's CPU's will require the exact same conditions to be met in order to get all of those cores to 4ghz. Unlike Intel, 4ghz will be the limit for AMD, as even the consumer die's that these are based on, seldom go higher. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, OriAr said:

Multiplier goes up to 44 :/

Unless they meant all core boost which would be really high if it's at 4.0

afaik it is 4.0 for TB2 and 4.4 for TB3 (2 core boost).

I think TB2 is more then 4 cores, but it really does look like that the 16 core part will be clocked lower then the 1950x in base and boost (except 2 core boost)

I did some napkin math and I figure the 14 core need to be at 2.7 or better (base clock) to beat the 1920x, and the 16 core part needs to be at 2.9 or better (base clock) to beat the 1950x. and the 18 core part needs to be 2.6 or better (base clock) to beat the 1950x.

so I feel that intels top CPUs will not be able to compete. NOTE: I can be wrong just a shot in the dark.

Spoiler

EXCEL_2017-07-24_16-41-05.png

estimated Cinebench scores for intels parts on the left and estimated OC Cinebench scores of TR on the right.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc