Is your GPU supposed to do something when you are watching Youtube?

Max_Settings

I am trying to watch an 8K 60fps video on Youtube and it won't play back because my CPU is at 100% usage and it is stuttering. So I thought that your GPU was supposed to help with video de-coding while watching Youtube, so I searched and that's what people online said that your GPU should be working while watching high quality video and that if you had a high end card you should be able to watch 8K video. Watching this 8K 60fps video my GPU is only at 1% usage so it is doing nothing. Should it be working while watching this video, and if yes how do I fix it?

Is your hardware acceleration on?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your GPU only helps in codecs and resolutions that is made for and is supported by the browser, and dont believe any GPU or browser supports hardware acceleration in 8K.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Depends on whether or not hardware acceleration is enabled in your browser .

Also , your gpu will do some work , but it cannot do everything .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Tibbles said:

awfully unnecessary for little to no benefit, even 4k

People who watch 8k content don't really care about benefits. It's mostly just to boast.

P.S:that was a joke

Hello

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Is your hardware acceleration on?

Yes

If you're using Flash to view YouTube videos, it may not actually have hardware acceleration enabled. To verify:

• Right click on the video screen
  • Click on "Settings..."
  • On the first tab (looks like a monitor with a play icon), verify that "Hardware acceleration enabled" is checked.

Otherwise, I do recall that by default, YouTube sends the VP9 encoded video. Depending on which browser you use to view it, it's not actually hardware accelerated, even though your hardware can do it (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/L7OwIT3KUaI)

There are ways to force YouTube to send the H.264 encoded video instead. If you use Firefox or Chrome, look for the "h264ify" extension.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're using Flash to view YouTube videos, it may not actually have hardware acceleration enabled. To verify:

• Right click on the video screen
  • Click on "Settings..."
  • On the first tab (looks like a monitor with a play icon), verify that "Hardware acceleration enabled" is checked.

Otherwise, I do recall that by default, YouTube sends the VP9 encoded video. Depending on which browser you use to view it, it's not actually hardware accelerated, even though your hardware can do it (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/L7OwIT3KUaI)

There are ways to force YouTube to send the H.264 encoded video instead. If you use Firefox or Chrome, look for the "h264ify" extension.

I believe that youtube just supports up to 1080p with H.264, but I may be wrong.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

4 hours ago, Tibbles said:

why are you even trying to watch something in 8k?

way to not answer the question and be a sick contrarian

1 minute ago, DoctorZeus said:

way to not answer the question and be a sick contrarian

Haha savage

Hello