Mouse movement causing coil whine??

Froody129

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with a strange problem I'm having. Whenever I move or scroll my mouse a very high pitched whine will appear. It's 110% caused by the mouse. What could cause this and is there any way to fix it? It's just at the right pitch where it's super annoying...

Thanks for any ideas/help

That's an F in the profile pic

What mouse do you have?

Would I be wrong in assuming it is a cheap Chinese mouse?

If it is...buy a new mouse that is of at least some quality

Just now, .Ocean said:

What mouse do you have?

Would I be wrong in assuming it is a cheap Chinese mouse?

If it is...buy a new mouse that is of at least some quality

The mouse from the Devestator 2 combo

Just now, L.Lawliet said:

I think its not a coil whine its just an interference that get picked up by your audio.

Try using a better audio cable that has an emi shielding to prevent it.

I have headphones and 5 speakers plugged in. I can't hear a definite source for the sound except that it's there. My mouse cable does run under my amp though... I'll try it and report back

1 minute ago, L.Lawliet said:

I think its not a coil whine its just an interference that get picked up by your audio.

Try using a better audio cable that has an emi shielding to prevent it.

Oh yeah that could be it, especially if it is a wireless mouse.

The real question is if the whine is actually coming from the mouse, or if the noise is coming from the audio out equipment when the mouse is moved.

as @L.Lawliet said. it is interference with your audio. i have the same problem. pull out the audio cable and see if the noice goes away or at least be a whole lot less. it is not your mouse. just some cables that are bunched up

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Unplug all of your speakers and headphones and see if you can still hear the noise

I actually have a cheap-o wireless mouse that emits a high pitched whine (not very loud, mind you) whenever it moves, may be a condenser in the same circuit as the laser, dunno.

Gimme a shout on Discord if you are a good conversationalist!

6 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

It's 110% caused by the mouse.

I'm guessing you mean it's the mouse movement that cause the coil whine, and not that the coil whine comes from the mouse?

Try lifting your mouse from the mouse pad and use your hand to move the cursor and try to isolate the whine, my guess is, it's coming from the GPU (some GPU will have coil whine when there's mouse movement).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

I'm guessing you mean it's the mouse movement that cause the coil whine, and not that the coil whine comes from the mouse?

Try lifting your mouse from the mouse pad and use your hand to move the cursor and try to isolate the whine, my guess is, it's coming from the GPU (some GPU will have coil whine when there's mouse movement).

Yes it's the movement. I'm struggling to isolate the source of the whine. 

3 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

The real question is if the whine is actually coming from the mouse, or if the noise is coming from the audio out equipment when the mouse is moved.

It's a wired mouse(devestator 2 mouse). I moved the cable completely away from the rat's nest behind my desk and also moved it to the front USB on my case. Still the same thing is happening 

5 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

Both my headphones and amp are off completely and the sound is still present. 

7 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

as @L.Lawliet said. it is interference with your audio. i have the same problem. pull out the audio cable and see if the noice goes away or at least be a whole lot less. it is not your mouse. just some cables that are bunched up

I'm confused now as to what could be causing it since I've completely separated the cable from all other cables and moved it to a new USB port and the sound is still there

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'm confused now as to what could be causing it since I've completely separated the cable from all other cables and moved it to a new USB port and the sound is still there

Like I said, it might be the GPU, but the motherboard could also be the culprit, or even "dirty" electricity from the electrical circuit.

Try a wall outlet that you know isn't on the same circuit.

5 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Yes it's the movement. I'm struggling to isolate the source of the whine. 

It's a wired mouse(devestator 2 mouse). I moved the cable completely away from the rat's nest behind my desk and also moved it to the front USB on my case. Still the same thing is happening 

Both my headphones and amp are off completely and the sound is still present. 

Are they off or are they unplugged? If they are completely unplugged then plug the mouse into another computer and see if it still whines. If it does then the mouse is the problem and there is some bad electrical mumbo jumbo going on. IF it doesnt whine then it is another component in your computer that is creating the whine when you move the mouse.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Like I said, it might be the GPU, but the motherboard could also be the culprit, or even "dirty" electricity from the electrical circuit.

Try a wall outlet that you know isn't on the same circuit.

I know for a fact I get filthy electricity since I have a seperate problem where my PSU will buzz if someone turns on the lights in the living room...

The GPU I can't confirm. What would cause a GPU to whine with mouse movement? 

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

I know for a fact I get filthy electricity since I have a seperate problem where my PSU will buzz if someone turns on the lights in the living room...

The inductor coils vibrate when put under load. When the GPU is drawing someting on screen the updates to the mouse cursor, updates to something on the screen or using the mouse to look at different areas in a video game will cause it to whine. I highly doubt it is your gpu though if it just happens outside of an application that would put load on the GPU

Just now, Froody129 said:

Then that's probably part of the problem.

Just now, Froody129 said:

not sure, people have reported that problem before.

You could try to enable pointer trails, some have reported it helps.

press the keys WIN+R

in the "run" window, type main.cpl

in the mouse properties window, go into the pointer option tab and enable pointer trails

Change the USB port that your mouse in plugged into, I had the same issue a while back and it fixed it for me

1 minute ago, jcw150 said:

Change the USB port that your mouse in plugged into, I had the same issue a while back and it fixed it for me

I've already tried that. I'm wondering if there's some controller chip or something on the motherboard that could be causing. Or, as others have said, the GPU 

• 2 years later...

Know this thread is super dead and old, but hey I just ran into the same thing on my roommates computer. So here's what I found.

Doing some folding@home, as you do these day. Went to check status and heard a coil whine when moving the mouse around the desk top and worried my roommates GPU was dying while folding. GPU is @ 100% usage while folding, but I only hear the whine when I move the mouse over an interactive object on a window or any where on the desktop.

Rip into the PC, stick my head inside to pin point the noise. For this one it turned out its was the PSU.

For my case at least, resolve will probably be a new power supply (PSU is about 4 years old) or power filtering. Little lot-a annoying, but no imminent system death.

Best luck to you all with your troubleshooting.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:18 AM, XiaoDi said:

>Know this thread is super dead and old

Dude literally not even 1 day after you made the comment and i found it useful. Not so dead at all!
Thanks a lot!

• 9 months later...

Know this thread is super dead and old, but i have the same problem with my Logitech g502 lightspeed.

I try all these solves but nothing works. 

Any idea? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Swever said:

Know this thread is super dead and old, but i have the same problem with my Logitech g502 lightspeed.

I try all these solves but nothing works. 

Any idea? Thanks.

does it only come through speakers / headphones?  what happens if you unplug / mute anything that's like a speaker? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, Mark Kaine said:

does it only come through speakers / headphones?  what happens if you unplug / mute anything that's like a speaker? 

the sound comes from where we connect all the cables to the motherboard. I use z390 aorus master. I try everything. Unplug all devices, change hubs, everything. And nothing.

On 6/27/2017 at 8:05 PM, Froody129 said:

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with a strange problem I'm having. Whenever I move or scroll my mouse a very high pitched whine will appear. It's 110% caused by the mouse. What could cause this and is there any way to fix it? It's just at the right pitch where it's super annoying...

Thanks for any ideas/help

Hello,

I actually have the exact same problem, but with a laptop. I can say it's certainly coil whine of some sort because the sound comes from the machine even with the sound turned off, and it's probably not caused by the mouse (I have an older, but still good quality razer mouse), rather by the laptop's motherboard. I don't think there is an easy fix for it, at least in my case, as all the USB ports cause the sound to appear when the mouse is plugged in and moving. Also, side note, the sound is much stronger when I'm moving the cursor over windows then if moved over the plain desktop.

If anyone has any idea, please help. It's driving me nuts.

15 minutes ago, ViKKing390 said:

Hello,

I actually have the exact same problem, but with a laptop. I can say it's certainly coil whine of some sort because the sound comes from the machine even with the sound turned off, and it's probably not caused by the mouse (I have an older, but still good quality razer mouse), rather by the laptop's motherboard. I don't think there is an easy fix for it, at least in my case, as all the USB ports cause the sound to appear when the mouse is plugged in and moving. Also, side note, the sound is much stronger when I'm moving the cursor over windows then if moved over the plain desktop.

If anyone has any idea, please help. It's driving me nuts.

Is the sound present both while plugged in and on battery power? Also, try turning off your separate graphics card and using the iGPU. Try a different USB port, perhaps on the other side of the laptop, to try minimise any interference from the port.

I think I figured it out -- it's the polling rate.  I use two mice: the G900 and the MX Master 2.  I knew the MX Master has a lower polling rate and I noticed I don't hear any whining.  I don't usually use the Logitech Hub software, but to change the polling rate and all the other options, I installed it.  My polling rate was initially set to 1000ms.  Dropped it down to 500ms and it's mostly gone.  I can hear some sort of whining regardless of whatever setting I use as my PC does whatever it's doing in the background, but at least at 500ms it's not a constant whine as I browse the web in a quiet room.