Mouse movement causing coil whine??

Froody129

I know this is old, but when i had this issue recently this was the first result i got, so more people may come in and find out my solution works for them.

So as i said i had this problem too, when i moved the mouse, i could hear a whine or noise from the motherboard, nothing on the speakers, a wireless mouse did not produce this noise, so in my case, all i had to do is remake the cable management in such a way that the mouse cable is not bundled with the rest of them, the mouse cable was picking up something and that was it. No more noise in motherboard from the mouse.

Hope this helps someone.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:05 PM, Froody129 said:

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with a strange problem I'm having. Whenever I move or scroll my mouse a very high pitched whine will appear. It's 110% caused by the mouse. What could cause this and is there any way to fix it? It's just at the right pitch where it's super annoying...

Thanks for any ideas/help

This used to happen to me when I played games like Cities Skylines.

I would get mad coil whine on my old AMD GPU, particularly when zoomed out in game, and it noticeably changed frequency when I moved the mouse. Tried several mouses / mice, all wireless and never made any difference.

I suspect its just a combination of your GPU and whatever games you play.

I highly doubt its the actual mouse causing the noise

• 4 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, sonsonate said:

I think I figured it out -- it's the polling rate.  I use two mice: the G900 and the MX Master 2.  I knew the MX Master has a lower polling rate and I noticed I don't hear any whining.  I don't usually use the Logitech Hub software, but to change the polling rate and all the other options, I installed it.  My polling rate was initially set to 1000ms.  Dropped it down to 500ms and it's mostly gone.  I can hear some sort of whining regardless of whatever setting I use as my PC does whatever it's doing in the background, but at least at 500ms it's not a constant whine as I browse the web in a quiet room.

This worked for me.

• 7 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:26 AM, sonsonate said:

I think I figured it out -- it's the polling rate.  I use two mice: the G900 and the MX Master 2.  I knew the MX Master has a lower polling rate and I noticed I don't hear any whining.  I don't usually use the Logitech Hub software, but to change the polling rate and all the other options, I installed it.  My polling rate was initially set to 1000ms.  Dropped it down to 500ms and it's mostly gone.  I can hear some sort of whining regardless of whatever setting I use as my PC does whatever it's doing in the background, but at least at 500ms it's not a constant whine as I browse the web in a quiet room.

-Can confirm for logitech G700s that it was polling rate setting problem, changed from 1000ms to 500 and whine is gone. Thank you

• 1 month later...

This thread is definitely not old and super dead. I'm having trouble o a refreshed updated setup. New mobo, cpu, GPU, but pretty old but very well working PSU. 

GPU:  Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6600 XT

PSU:   Corsair HX1000

Before, I was using GTX 1080 and it was dead silent.

The GPU would whine on its own sometimes, but when I move the mouse it gets worse. The mouse is Logitech g502.

I tried another Radeon 6600 card, it got the same whine.

Should I replace the PSU to get rid of the whine? 

This GPU uses only 1 8-pin power cable. My PSU has 2 8-pin power cable outputs. Would it be possible to power the single GPU using two 8-pin power cables to reduce the load on the PSU? Something like a reverse Y-splitter? Is there even such kind of thing, or it would basically short the PSU?

Thanks!