How do you deal with FanBoy friends while building your PC

WereCat

Hi, I am curious about how do you deal with your friends that think they know more than you and are trying to convice you from which brand you should buy components while building your PC.

Here is my story (if anyone give a damn :) also sorry for my english):

Im with PC's for over a dekade now. I always though I know a lot about PC's but that was just me fooling myself. I knew basic stuff but as I was only gamming I lost track about technology. A while ago I was upgrading from my old AMD Athlon PC with ATI 3000 series GPU to my new system because games even on 1024x768 resolution started to stutter a lot. I had some money at the time so I went for online shopping and asking my friends. I was really happy with my old AMD setup so I decided to go for AMD again, I told it to one of my friend over skype ... after he heard that I am considering AMD CPU.. I swear.. if he was right next to me then he would kill me. I never heard him yell like that. I had to pass the call (because of arguments like.. my friend got AMD and it broke in 2 weeks..blabla). I let it be for a week and then I had conversation with my other friend ... almost same reaction. I started to wonder why its like that. So I decided to make some reasearch. And not just any research, because after while I started to be hungry after hardware knowledge. I discovered lots of great youtube channels this way with very informative content and great communities (LTT included). I had several builds in my plans and was filtering the bad ones out in the process until I got to the point where I am now. This research took me over half a year. I wanted to be completely sure that I will get exactly what I need because I dont earn that much money and I did not wanted to waste them (Gaming machine that can handle lots of video editing).

Now to the point:

As I was researching and making plans what to buy for my PC I was talking with my friends a lot about it and whenever they tried to convice me into buying A instead of B then I looked all informations about both and tired to explain them why are they wrong/right. I learned a lot this way and I hope I learned them something too.

Now Im trying to keep track of technology because I enjoy it and also to hep others with their builds.

What is your story?

I just tell them to screw off. I do that to all fanboys that try to communicate with me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ask them for advice then just not use it.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I have always kept an open mind about all products and do my own research and decide that way. You can usually tell who is for one company or another and them people I just pass right by, but if they seem open minded I'm willing to listen, but in the end I always make the choices I want not what someone else tells me. I feel like the 13 years i have been doing this, I have made very few bad choices in my purchases. :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

laugh and talk in a old fashion English voice saying: PC be FAR more superior

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Interesting, so lots of you rather avoid argument than to try teach them better. I can understand that. I just dont have that much friends so thats maybe why I care more about them.

i feel bad for them tbh. to be so closed minded about things is just a bad trait to have. AMD is great for mid tier stuff at an exceptional price compared to intel. if they can realize that then LOL.

there was a time (really long time ago) where intel was pretty much the only option but things have definitly changed.

Say them that you arent a rich snob who can afford Intels high end products... Between you can always ask for help on this forum :)

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Most of my friends just tell me to buy a console. I slap them when that happens.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Ask them if they want crazy sales and a platform that can do 20 billion times more things

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

I listen to advice, but when it come to fanboyism, just ignore them. Seriously, you can't teach them to be better, they have to find their own way, it's just like religion.

Same as yours, the other day I was in an argument with a friend who I built a pc for. He was convinced that a steambox was innovative, i told him it's no better than a $900 alienware (the smallest one). The cooling will be terrible and the performance will be terrible. In his mind, he thought the steam would replace consoles. After some explanation and more arguing he understood, steambox meant nothing. On the other hand, Steam OS was the true innovation and nothing else mattered. I'd go into more detail on why, but I am currently without a computer and this touchscreen keyboard is killing me.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Same as yours, the other day I was in an argument with a friend who I built a pc for. He was convinced that a steambox was innovative, i told him it's no better than a $900 alienware (the smallest one). The cooling will be terrible and the performance will be terrible. In his mind, he thought the steam would replace consoles. After some explanation and more arguing he understood, steambox meant nothing. On the other hand, Steam OS was the true innovation and nothing else mattered. I'd go into more detail on why, but I am currently without a computer and this touchscreen keyboard is killing me.

You need to try to shop for a sub-$150 m-ITX case to fit on the shelf of a hard-backed TV stand before you truly understand how innovative a Steambox really is. Every single m-ITX box has some kind of dealbreaker in its design. I just spent hundreds of hours fashioning out a gaming HTPC christmas present and the only case that both fit the dimensions (barely!) and that had full-size PSU as well as proper cooling, a full-size 5.25" and support for dual slot graphic cards was the Cooler master elite 130. And that is one ugly piece of shit case. But it will have to do, because there is no other option. It even exceeded my depth/ length specification by 5cm, but because of the legs it will just about fit but the front will stick out.

The Sugo SG07 would have been perfect, but it's overpriced as all F#)/(Y%& and it includes an unnecessary power supply when I already have one.

I think variations of Steamboxes will sell well enough, if nothing else then because m-ITX cases on the market are mostly shit.

Hopefully the Steambox will bankrupt a few companies, especially Lian Li, who couldn't be more clueless as to what people want if their engineers and analysts all were lobotomized.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

My friend @Worth says that AMD is ghetto. I beg to differ. In certain situations, Intel or NVidia is better, but AMD has the price to performance market locked down. If I can go for a $200 AMD Processor that performs the same as a $300 Intel processor, I will go with the AMD unless there is a certain software that only works with Intel.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I don't argue with people who try to convince you instead of having a mature conversation.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Ignore them if they insist they are smarter let them think it. ive learned that no matter how mutch you are right people will always treat you like an idiot. I know this from experiance at work. 90%of the time i tell my bosses something and they refuse to accept my answer. And when im right the refuse to acknowlege it or b.s. around it cuz they feel they are better and know no wrong.

in your case you could convince them u downloaded more ram and overclocked your monitor conector and and gotna 50% increase anf 30 more fps. Then laugh your ass off when you find out they spent half the night trying t do it.

Here's my 2 cents worth.....I've recently begun a new build, it's been a while since my last one, so I've been out of the loop as far as hardware goes. I am looking for information, not opinions....especially from people that don't even use the components I'm inquiring about! As soon as they start talking trash about said component, this is were I shut them down. Always politely if on the internet, or if in person, I usually just poke them in the eye with a fork! That really makes them change the subject!!!!...Ok, I've never done that...but that's what I FEEL like doing LOL. Anyway, my point is, just glean as much information you can from these people and keep doing your research, eventually you WILL come to a conclusion as to what you need for your build. Please understand, I have 0 tolerance for such people as they don't bring much to the table as far as useful information. No sense arguing with them, you'll never get anywhere! Good luck!

Me again...just reread you post....If they are really your true friends, then they would respect you as much as you respect them. As an example, my son is a die hard amd fan while I'm a die hard Nvidia fan. Sure we tease each other about our different point of views, but when a decision has to be made, we work together and respect each other. That's what it's all about!

Ask them if they want crazy sales and a platform that can do 20 billion times more things

I'm getting the very distinct impression that a few of you didn't read the opening post?

He's not talking about console fanboys...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)