Facebook wants to secretly watch you through your smartphone camera

Social media poll  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use Facebook?

• Yes, all the time
    • Yes, but occasional
    • No, not anymore
    • What the hell is Facebook? Never used it.

Sources: International Business Times & Free Patents Online

Facebook wants to get up close and personal with its users after a patent was revealed detailing a desire to secretly watch users through their webcam or smartphone camera, spying on your mood in order to sell you tailored content or advertisements.

The purpose behind the invasive idea is to analyse people through the camera in real time while they browse online and if it recognises you looking happy, bored or sad, it would deliver an advert fitting your emotion. If you were forlorn, for example, it would be able to serve an ad to perk you up, or know what products you had previously looked at online and put them under your nose at just the right time.

Facebook explains in the patent application that a user who looked away during certain content (in their fictional case it was a kitten video) algorithms for the social network would know to not show more of that type of content. In another example it describes how the technology could tell if a user's expression changed while looking at posts or pictures from a certain person and would show more or less of these in the future.

facebook-spy-camera-patent.png.558eecca53bb90dde5c7839bbdfd0c9d.png

The social network has filed several patents over the years on emotion-based technology but this, based on 'passive imaging data' is perhaps the most unnerving, considering it would take control of cameras that weren't even switched on by the user.

As described by CB Insights: "This patent proposes capturing images of the user through smartphone or laptop cameras, even when the user is not actively using the camera. By visually tracking a user's facial expression, Facebook aims to monitor the user's emotional reactions to different types of content."

For what Facebook? Facebook responded:

A Facebook spokesperson provided IBTimesUK with the following statement: "We often seek patents for technology we never implement, and patents should not be taken as an indication of future plans." (emphasis is mine)

All I can say if Facebook even attempted to implement this, I can see the backlash of different countries and human rights organizations including the UN Commission on Human Rights, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and privacy activists.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

OOH FUCK THIS. I USE FB FOR UNIVERSTIY FB GROUP. THAT BLOODY APP ANTI EVER GONNA TOUCH MY PHONE NOW. EVER

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Just uninstall the app. On the rare occasions I use Facebook, I use the web browser.

well same. I dont have the app because it takes to much space.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Because they dont have enough of your information...

(Please also fix for night theme users)

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I don't use Facebook, but good luck to the first one that tries to implement this kind of nonsense

P6090108m.JPG.dc03cf007f92aef9d224754509c77051.JPG

FB would probably show me ads for lightbulbs because it's always so dark where I am xD

That's my work phone, for the record.  I wouldn't want a smartphone for personal use.

54 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Sources: International Business Times & Free Patents Online

For what Facebook? Facebook responded:

All I can say if Facebook even attempted to implement this, I can see the backlash of different countries and human rights organizations including the UN Commission on Human Rights, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and privacy activists.

apparently facebook also wants to hide all the text in your quotes from Dark Theme users.

Meh. Only reason I haven't shut down my account is because I very rarely log in to catch up to old friends. Most of them I can contact on skype though.

Time to start scrubbing my account I suppose

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

38 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Just uninstall the app. On the rare occasions I use Facebook, I use the web browser.

Same. Facebook is bad enough on a browser, makes no sense in my phone.

But then again, I'm not uploading meal pictures to FB :P 

10 minutes ago, Prysin said:

apparently facebook also wants to hide all the text in your quotes from Dark Theme users.

THOSE EVIL BASTARDS!!!!!

:D

Welcome to American abuse of the patent system. Patents are suppose to be protecting research investment. instead they are prohibiting anyone else creating this technology without fucking lawyers fees.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

@Prysin @rn8686 fixed it

If I had a dollar whenever I see someone complaining about fixing a post for night theme users, I'd have enough money to buy a new graphics card and an i7-7700K or a 256 GB iPhone 7+.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

You forgot one option in the poll, "I'd never use FakeBook".

Updated 

Or just disable camera permissions in android. But this is still too far.

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I don't use Facebook, but good luck to the first one that tries to implement this kind of nonsense

FB would probably show me ads for lightbulbs because it's always so dark where I am xD

That's my work phone, for the record.  I wouldn't want a smartphone for personal use.

Heh, I did the same thing on my phone.  Likewise, I'd still never install or use FacePuke.

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Or just disable camera permissions in android. But this is still too far.

Millions of FB's users won't because they activate it to upload pics and vids, they won't even suspect when this goes live. 

3 minutes ago, JoseGuya said:

Millions of FB's users won't because they activate it to upload pics and vids, they won't even suspect when this goes live. 

To upload pics it just needs access to storage. You dont need camera permissions for that, and when its live, android will ask as soon as you open FB that it needs access to your camera which by default many people dont have because most dont take pictures through the FB app. But if you go live a lot then yeah you will never know.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

To upload pics it just needs access to storage. You dont need camera permissions for that, and when its live, android will ask as soon as you open FB that it needs access to your camera which by default many people dont have because most dont take pictures through the FB app.

I'm not talking about uploading media from the camera roll/gallery, but right from the camera. 

Just now, JoseGuya said:

I'm not talking about uploading media from the camera roll/gallery, but right from the camera. 

I know, thats why I said not a lot of people do use the camera in the app. Most people upload photos after rather than through the app.

I had a fecebook account that I never used. I never installed the app.

I wonder what they would make of my expression of irritated anger whenever ANY ad shows up.

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

well, the spokesperson said they probably won;t implement this. if they did and made it public i bet the backlash would be massive.

They couldn't patent this without making it public. Even if they don't use it themselves filing a patent means they probably want to offer some sort of api that allows third parties to do this - perhaps cross referencing their data with facebook.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*