"google it"

greaves1111

Anyone else hate this answer? I'm fully aware of how google works. I kinda of just want to tell this person, "I'm asking you, not fucking google". It's kind of a snarky thing to say I think.

So, how about this crazy weather? GO ASK GOOGLE!

whatever, lol.

What do you do in such a case? Report them (because such answers are against the rules here) and also ask them to provide a relevant link to solving your problem; since their Google-fu must be so much better.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i wouldn't really do anything either way, that answer just annoys me.. I was just asking someone I work with a question about something I thought he was knowledgeable about.

I expect that kind of douchebaggery on the internet, lol.

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

and also ask them to provide a relevant link to solving your problem; since their Google-fu must be so much better.

Entering the correct search query can make a hell of a difference.  Some people's Google-fu is so weak that they could learn a hell of a lot from being shown the correct queries.  Sadly using LMGTFY is usually not allowed either. 

asking people what they think about something is just as much "research" as googling things to look at forums, reviews, and trying different things out for yourself.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Entering the correct search query can make a hell of a difference.  Some people's Google-fu is so weak that they could learn a hell of a lot from being shown the correct queries.  Sadly using LMGTFY is usually not allowed either. 

In those cases I give a link to what the OP needs and tell them what I Googled for. 

An answer that just says "Google it" helps nobody, except for the person posting it artificially increasing his post count. Doesn't help the OP, because like you said he/she might not know what to Google for. Doesn't help you, since you didn't learn anything either and it especially doesn't help the people who might stumble across the thread in the future, looking for the answer only to be greeted by 'Google it'.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah, agreed.   "Google it" doesn't help indeed.  Should have stated that in my previous post. 

LMGTFY on the other hand shows the people how to get the info they need, so I really don't see why so many forum owners disapprove of it or outright forbid it. 

Sure, it's blunt.  But writing 5 paragraphs on how to search isn't going to help anyone either because most people will gloss over it.  All it does, is waste your time.

if i spend less than 10 seconds googling something for somebody else, im going to tell them to google it themselves.

i hate when people dont do any research whatsoever before asking questions.

if you did at least 10 minutes before asking, then yes i am more than happy to help you out. if not, then it obviously isnt worth your time, why would it be worth mine?

that being said, ive done tier 1 and tier 2 helpdesk support so i just hate people in general.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

If your post doesn't at least have something along the lines of "I've looked around and found some people saying (XXXX) while others say (YYYY)." then that tells me you haven't put in an ounce of effort yourself.

If you're not willing to put in even a few minutes of effort yourself then I sure as fuck am not going to.

Asking someone if they have a recommendation on something is kind of an opinion based question. Like I said, when I want to talk to google, I'll go on google.com. If I want to ask a person, I'll ask people. Usually 1 "google it" means I never want their opinion again though lol.

This is, of course, speaking in terms of people I actually see face to face on a daily basis. I expect that kind of smug talk on the internet. I would post those nerds a box of tissues but they can GOOGLE IT

got eeem!

If the question is stupid and the answer is in the first 5 google results, the question shouldn't have even been asked. Therefore, google it before you waste someone else's time

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeah but if you ask a dumb fucking question what kind of answer do you deserve?

Yeah like, put as much effort and time on your question that you'd like someone to put on your answer, I find funny how ever so often there are OP's that goes like "is the gtx 1080 good for me?" and that's it... like... what is the point even, if you're not into interacting with other people with at least a reasonable level of effort then coming to a Forum is completely pointless to begin with.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yeah like, put as much effort and time on your question that you'd like someone to put on your answer, I find funny how ever so often there are OP's that goes like "is the gtx 1080 good for me?" and that's it... like... what is the point even, if you're not into interacting with other people with at least a reasonable level of effort then coming to a Forum is completely pointless to begin with.

It doesn't take a whole lot of thinking to figure out most your own questions. Tech help I can understand but "Does this CPU fit in this socket?" is pointless and should be left to Google. It ain't worth the bandwidth to load the webpage.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeah but if you ask a dumb fucking question what kind of answer do you deserve?

My question was asking for an opinion/recommendation on which solutIon they liked better.

This one particular person's take on the subject isn't in the top 5 results on google but he told me to check there anyway. He's just an asshole lol. 

I understand that asking someone which CPU fits which socket is something google can help me with

Well, if you get these type of question all the time, every day

It's hard not to, all can be answered within seconds with "google it"

Go ask reddit.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

10 hours ago, Jito463 said:

What annoys me, is people using "Google" as a verb. :P

what else would you use? "Bing it"?

"Search it? "

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch