Who was in the wrong?

jado

Being a little boy I don't have a credit card meaning, I cant order my own computer parts, also meaning I rely on my parents to order my parts. Me and my parents don't have a very good relationship, especially not me and my dad. I think I could have persuaded my mom if my dad didn't step in. Anyways, I built my computer with some "less expensive parts" intending on upgrading them later. Earlier I made a post just getting another opinion seeing if things were compatible and after getting my answer I intended on ordering my new PSU tonight. But for some reason my parents won't order it for me. They say it's a waste of money, I need this power supply to be able to power the GPU's i'l be getting in the future so I thought i'd get this now along with some nice cablemod cables. They said its a bad investment and I should wait until i'm getting my GPU(s) in a year or so from now (will be getting them sooner that is just what they said specifically), when I asked why they compared it to getting wheels for a car I don't know if i'm buying yet. I can assure you I am NOT staying with my RX 460, so that comparison makes no sense to me but still. They also said I shouldn't replace these things when I already have a computer that works. My current PSU is a 500W 80+ Bronze Non-modular PSU, I wouldn't call this working. After this I tried re-explaining to them that I planned on upgrading from the beginning because I had to build my computer prematurely because someone (my dad) threw my laptop on the floor and broke it... Then they used their authority as my parents to make me retreat to my room... Who do you think is in the wrong? Should I be allowed to get the parts? I do pay them fully for the price so as long as it's my money I don't see the problem.

Maybe use a prepaid credit card? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Raskolnikov said:

Maybe use a prepaid credit card? 

That's what il probably end up doing. They can't stop me from buying it just delay me and cost me more money because of activation fee's :/

not to be a dick but.. maybe accept the fact that you're a child and rely on your parents. if they dont buy you something then you dont get it. consider yourself lucky that you have what you already have and dont be spoiled.

that being said, if its actually your money(not just money they gave you or money you think they owe you), then you should be able to do what you want with it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

If you're paying for them I personally don't see a problem. But they are you're parents, not me. It doesn't matter what we think, your parents believe something and are trying to keep you from doing something they think is foolish. Whether they're right or not is subjective. The best you can do is try and calmly explain everything you can (and as simply as you can if they don't understand tech) and hope that they either see things your way or decide to let you make your own decisions whether they agree with them or not. 

did you say you already know what graphics cards you will get?

Just now, TheLagDidIt said:

did you say you already know what graphics cards you will get?

if you do know, what is the card?

Take it as incentive to get a good job and move out. Then you can buy all the expensive toys that you want. It's a good time, trust me.

Just don't get a wife, then you're back to square one.

If it's your money, as in money you earned.  Then you should do what you want with it.

Honestly what bothers me more is hearing that your dad broke your computer, and is not willing to help you fix or replace it.  I don't have a kid.  But if I did, and I broke his/her computer, I would help replace it.

They are your parents however, and as long as you are living with them.  You have to go by their rules.

you are. Your 80+ bronze 500w is fine for any gpu. And it's your parents money.

however, I think your dad is wrong for breaking your laptop.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Are you paying for it? If not, you have no argument, its their money. Nothing is wrong with a 500W PSU (Depending on the brand, probably fine though), it wont hurt your PCs performance any. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

How old are you?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Suck it up and earn the money for yourself if you really want the parts. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

14 hours ago, Tsuki said:

that being said, if its actually your money(not just money they gave you or money you think they owe you), then you should be able to do what you want with it.

Well, I can almost agree except I don't think children should be able whatever they want even if it's somehow their money - at least legally they certainly can't.

I mean, it's not like we're going to get all "mom, I worked hard mowing that lawn, and I'm gonna buy all the crack I want!" :P 

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

How old are you?

Important question. If x<18, the answer is your parents are right. if x>=18, then it may be worth looking at the details :P 

Nah they're right.

First off, you don't need a new psu even to power a new video card.

Second off, if you aren't getting a new gpu for a year anyway you can reassess the situation then.

Third off, yes it works fine and cablemod cables are extremely superfluous.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

15 hours ago, jado said:

Being a little boy I don't have a credit card meaning, I cant order my own computer parts, also meaning I rely on my parents to order my parts. Me and my parents don't have a very good relationship, especially not me and my dad. I think I could have persuaded my mom if my dad didn't step in. Anyways, I built my computer with some "less expensive parts" intending on upgrading them later. Earlier I made a post just getting another opinion seeing if things were compatible and after getting my answer I intended on ordering my new PSU tonight. But for some reason my parents won't order it for me. They say it's a waste of money, I need this power supply to be able to power the GPU's i'l be getting in the future so I thought i'd get this now along with some nice cablemod cables. They said its a bad investment and I should wait until i'm getting my GPU(s) in a year or so from now (will be getting them sooner that is just what they said specifically), when I asked why they compared it to getting wheels for a car I don't know if i'm buying yet. I can assure you I am NOT staying with my RX 460, so that comparison makes no sense to me but still. They also said I shouldn't replace these things when I already have a computer that works. My current PSU is a 500W 80+ Bronze Non-modular PSU, I wouldn't call this working. After this I tried re-explaining to them that I planned on upgrading from the beginning because I had to build my computer prematurely because someone (my dad) threw my laptop on the floor and broke it... Then they used their authority as my parents to make me retreat to my room... Who do you think is in the wrong? Should I be allowed to get the parts? I do pay them fully for the price so as long as it's my money I don't see the problem.

What GPU are you intending on buying? A 500W PSU is pretty much good for almost any GPU currently out there.

Plus, you make it sound as if the RX460 is a bad GPU. It's not - perfectly fine for 1080p gaming at medium-high resolutions.

Furthermore, if you knew you were gonna upgrade to a better GPU anyway, why did you even buy the RX460? You should have:

1. Saved up enough to get what you wanted the first time, or,

2. Just kept the iGPU and went without gaming until you can afford the better GPU

You can of course resell the RX460, but you won't get much for it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, jado said:

Snip

Coming from a gamer I understand your frustration. But as a father, as well as a man who is raising his brothers kids, your psu is fine for now. Its an 80+ 500watt bronze. That's not bad. If you were my son I would have said the same as your father on this. 

As for the laptop, who paid for it?  If he did I don't see an issue if he broke it. If you did then he's being a prick for not fixing or replacing it. I know for the 17 year old nephew I'm raising, I just sold the car I bought for him for bringing stuff into my house that I do not condone. He's posses at me because he lost his wheels but I paid for them. Now he can't drive any cars in my house. 

If you do make your own money for the parts, open a checking account. You'll usually get a bank card that can act as a credit card. Problem solved. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

6 hours ago, spwath said:

And it's your parents money.

He says that he pays his parents (as in maybe gives them cash to buy stuff?) It's his money under those circumstances. Remember, just cause you're under 18, that doesn't mean that your parents own everything of yours.

I used to be quite active here.

IMO your father is wrong for breaking your laptop and not replacing it or help you with the parts for your desktop. Your parents are correct that, it's a bad investment to get a power supply now, when you're not even going to get a new video card a year or so later on.

Your current power supply can get the job done, so there really isn't a need to change it. The one I have is a 80Plus vanilla,  8+ years old and I'm still using it on my current system. Why change something when it's not even broken.

Your best option would be to get a video card first and use old power supply to see how well it goes, instead of getting both at the time, because it will be a total waste only to find out the new power supply, don't offer too much benefits and you've just wasted $80 to $100+ dollars for nothing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

He says that he pays his parents (as in maybe gives them cash to buy stuff?) It's his money under those circumstances. Remember, just cause you're under 18, that doesn't mean that your parents own everything of yours.

Yes and no. There's something to be said for instilling a sense of responsibility and ownership in a child, but in many countries, legally, yes, the parents do own everything that the kid has, as his legal guardians. The laws may differ by country/region though.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes and no. There's something to be said for instilling a sense of responsibility and ownership in a child, but in many countries, legally, yes, the parents do own everything that the kid has, as his legal guardians. The laws may differ by country/region though.

In the US, parents have been sued and prosecuted for stealing from their children (from what I can see, charges pressed by the other parent, not the child.) I could be wrong though.

I know in Texas that minors definitely legally own things, but there are absolutely incentives to never try to charge your parent for stealing things from you (IE: you'll just get kicked out of your parent's house.) 

So, you're correct. I shouldn't have used a blanket statement.

I used to be quite active here.

consider an alternative, if it can be worked with with parts now, then you shouldn't be bothered for a future build focused upgrade.  maybe you want it to look good , think in the terms of current functionality without having to be a financial pain for your parents .a 500 watts PSU is enough for a system if you look at it the right way , the 600watts recommendation doesn't pull it in close in the real world scenario, it can be run on a 500 watts system ,depending on your build quality . even still go thporough a power calculator site yourself with the intended parts you want & you can understand, thefinal overall usually fits under 500-550 watts usually if it doesn't harbor dual mid-high end GPU

Details separate people.

17 hours ago, jado said:

Ultimately it's their money that they're spending and you have a working computer, so honestly I don't see much of an issue here. You can buy the new PSU once you upgrade graphics. I know they're not very techy but they have a better sense of investment and return because they have more experience with money.

And you have a gaming computer, you should rejoice in that :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

34 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ultimately it's their money that they're spending and you have a working computer, so honestly I don't see much of an issue here. You can buy the new PSU once you upgrade graphics. I know they're not very techy but they have a better sense of investment and return because they have more experience with money.

And you have a gaming computer, you should rejoice in that :)

Not to mention that pricing can change - he might as well wait and see what the price of the PSU he wants to buy is closer to the time he actually needs it. Might be able to get a really good sale price, for example.

Or, you know... since most GPU's will run totally fine on a 500W PSU... just keep the one he's got?