AMD releases VEGA die shot

I'm honestly hoping that hbm2 overclocks well . Would be nice if you could get 1ghz out of those modules.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

1080 was almost exactly a year ago.  GPU generations are normally closer to 18 months. So Vega isn't late, that's just the consumer base being annoyed that AMD took this generation off in the high-end.

Still going to be another 2-3 months until it is released, even then it may be a few a months until it is widely available (If it isnt then immediately bought up to cryto mine with). Very doubtful its in a position to compete with Volta, it seems pretty late to me. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

2 minutes ago, Agost said:

According to SK Hynix HBM2 size, a rough calculation gives me about 470 mm^2 for the core. However those might be Samsung HBM2, and therefore dimensions can differ a bit.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/05/amd_rx_vega_radeon_frontier_die_shot_faked_by_marketing

It's a marketing shot, btw, not a real die picture.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

That's obvious that those aren't the actual parts of the die, they just slapped an image on an actual photo of the MCM though

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

I do think that by the time Vega finally release to compete with the GTX 1080 the Volta GTX 2080 will be so close to release for higher performance and same pricing that it'll render Vega pointless to any one who's not mining.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

17 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I'm honestly hoping that hbm2 overclocks well . Would be nice if you could get 1ghz out of those modules.

If it will make any difference at all

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

1080 was almost exactly a year ago.  GPU generations are normally closer to 18 months. So Vega isn't late, that's just the consumer base being annoyed that AMD took this generation off in the high-end.

So you mean they're behind by a generation?

Just now, WereCat said:

If it will make any difference at all

considering the amount of ROP's , more bandwith always helps.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

So you mean they're behind by a generation?

There was no Big Polaris. That was a clear choice and not a lack of technology.  Otherwise, the 580 and 1060 wouldn't be trading blows just fine.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There was no Big Polaris. That was a clear choice and not a lack of technology.  Otherwise, the 580 and 1060 wouldn't be trading blows just fine.

Vega is either competing with a generation old GPU or they decided (for no good reason) to ignore an entire market segment and skip to competing in a new generation.

Neither of those are good choices.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Vega is either competing with a generation old GPU or they decided (for no good reason) to ignore an entire market segment and skip to competing in a new generation.

Neither of those are good choices.

The "no good" reason is most likely down to money. AMD as a whole is worth less than NVIDIA's R&D budget, never mind Intels.

If Vega is there to actually compete with Volta, it might have been the best decision they could have made given their limited resources. Especially after the previous management by 2015 considered Discrete Consumer graphics to be dead. They firmly believed APUs and Consoles were the future.

Hence further cuts to the GPU R&D, although at least putting it into the CPU section paid off.

I really doubt Vega will blow away Pascal and match Volta, but I can see the reason they have this massive gap since Polaris being their money issues. They're still in debt by over a Billion after all.

Hopefully with their Zen architecture they'll finally break even, or get out of debt entire by the end of the year; and we can finally get the AMD of 2013 and prior back where they were actually competing on all GPU fronts.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Raja mentioned at the Financial Analyst day that they weren't even on the map in parts of the compute segment.  That's likely where they put the resources.  There's also the issue that Nvidia pretty much cuts down their computer card design to make consumer graphics.  It's clearly the more cost effective way to go.

Looking nice :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I just made a mess of my keyboard. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Raja mentioned at the Financial Analyst day that they weren't even on the map in parts of the compute segment.  That's likely where they put the resources.  There's also the issue that Nvidia pretty much cuts down their computer card design to make consumer graphics.  It's clearly the more cost effective way to go.

like always they did both, they remade their compute unit to be able to do both fp32 and double fp16, that alone makes them have twice the perf for AI and ML, for gaming they increased the geometry output, improved the rasterizer and doubled the hardware threads to allow better compute unit utilization.

it seems to me like they focused on both 

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, if Apple signed up to buy a lot of units for their products, which is a high-end SKU and not a massive seller, those supply issues would have gotten a lot worse.

Well , we should wait and see how things will go.

I'm happy that apple is choosing AMD because that helps them with $ and it will lead to more R&D so AMD will be more competitive

12 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Confirmed not an actual die shot.... Just marketing BS, which explains why the HBM marker isn't either known manufacturer.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/05/amd_rx_vega_radeon_frontier_die_shot_faked_by_marketing

Would it matter? Still gives us tons of info, and it has to be based on Vega's actual architecture or AMD might have gotten themselves into a bit of gaps advertising trouble.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0

i am sure that it is a vega die shot with an high level architecture block diagram on top of it