Intel Coffee Lake CPUs Delayed to 2018, 8th Gen Gets Kaby Lake Refresh This Year

Mr_Troll

Fuck you Intel.

AMD's actual product lineup, especially the release of an HEDT platform after it seemed they would try to compete X99 with AM4 8-cores (recall all the marketing being based on 1800X vs 6900K back then), was the only actually disruptive information Intel got this year, and got them a bit puzzled.

@SpaceGhostC2C I had forgotten about that, that is probably how they were able to blindside them so badly with Threadripper. By the time they got that information the damage was done and all they could do was announce a product they haven't made yet.

19 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I obviously have no insider information, but here goes my conjecture:

- Intel knew Zen was coming at roughly where it would land in IPC terms, probably before the rest of us starting to get the salt trucks etc.

- Intel conceived it's next iteration of consumer and HEDT platform more or less knowing it will compete with Zen, but without knowing the details on what products would AMD exactly offer based on it.

- As a consequence, Intel was probably planning to toss us a bone or two on top of their typical incremental upgrades to defend its market position.

- AMD's actual product lineup, especially the release of an HEDT platform after it seemed they would try to compete X99 with AM4 8-cores (recall all the marketing being based on 1800X vs 6900K back then), was the only actually disruptive information Intel got this year, and got them a bit puzzled.

- They've been revising their plans products not yet released around the clock to try and make sure they still make sense. I think their main problem is that they had all the flexibility to design when they lacked information, and they got all the information at a point in which they are not as flexible since most of the engineering work is done.

Based on that assumed situation, I'd expect Intel to just juggle around what it has in the near future, and come up with a more "Ryzen-ready" plan for the subsequent generations.

I think this goes to prove how easy it is to play keyboard CEO and/or keyboard engineer compared to actually doing the job :P 

Just like people were calling names to AMD staff for Bulldozer, now we have another extremist wave claiming Intel is lazy, ignorant, mismanaged... I think it's useful to pause for a moment, sit back and think calmly about the ebb and flow of this industry. How no amount of R&D spending can guarantee a dramatic breakthrough, and how companies need to play with whatever cards they have. Sometimes, you get a losing hand and no skill will prevent defeat, but you can try to cut back the losses, then get ready for the next hand.

Intel went from 60% market share to more than 80% in less than 15 years. It doesn't matter that Ryzen is not better than the best they have, there is no way they are going to keep such a high market share against a less crippled competitor. They knew AMD was going to take a bite at the market from the moment they got confirmation of Zen's IPC. Now it's all marketing what each one has the best they can until any other significant innovation takes place. There surely will be some trial and error in the process.

I think there's a lot of things crashing together really close together.

- AMD came back far harder than even AMD expected. (52% IPC improvement?)

- Intel has been having issues with 10 nm process (well, everyone has been), so their Roadmap has gotten stretched out.

- Coffee Lake was added because Cannon Lake was running really late, so the next upgrade "cycle" isn't much of one.

- 4 cores on X299 still doesn't make much sense to anyone.

- Threadripper (Snowy Owl) had no confirmation or even an official place on AMD's NDA-signed roadmaps. (Clearly a "late" decision from AMD to produce.)

- Intel responds to TR by just throwing cores at X299. Doesn't mean it'll actually perform better. 

It's also important to keep in mind that, to most people, today's Intel is the McAfee-buying "Intel Taxer" that put us on 4c processors for a decade.

From what I understood the so called Kaby Lake refresh (how the fuck is it a refresh when it needs a new socket and Intel said last year that it won't, is beyond me) is coming in August, at least some of them. But the majority of the release is next year Q1.

Did I get that right?

Intel toothpaste company

yay!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

how the fuck is it a refresh when it needs a new socket and Intel said last year that it won't, is beyond me

Same underlying components and architecture, with some needed tweaks to fix problems or improve slightly over the original, and then giving it a new name. It doesn't matter if the refresh is on a new socket, if the actual package remains largely unchanged.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

36 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

@SpaceGhostC2C I had forgotten about that, that is probably how they were able to blindside them so badly with Threadripper. By the time they got that information the damage was done and all they could do was announce a product they haven't made yet.

Smart move by AMD to suckered punch Intel. They deserve some kudos there, though the follow up will be even more important. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Lets just hope AMD can keep the ball rolling, and not the same mistake as Bulldozer down the road, to force intel to give us what we want at price points that arent gouging us for every penny.

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

So my guess is they are completely scrapping putting CFL on the Kaby Lake chipset, and going to make it more of a platform upgrade (chipset + other features) than just a CPU upgrade.  

Intel doesn't do this stuff for no reason.  Chances are this is what OEM's asked for.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

From what I understood the so called Kaby Lake refresh (how the fuck is it a refresh when it needs a new socket and Intel said last year that it won't, is beyond me) is coming in August, at least some of them. But the majority of the release is next year Q1.

Did I get that right?

As of two weeks ago, the only thing Intel is committed to is announcing Coffee Lake in "August-September" range. Launch isn't clear yet.  At Computex they said they'd have "desktop" chips out this year.  But that could be December.

But, seriously, if they drop the X299 then 2 months later are like "look, we have Refreshed Kaby Lake chips! On a new socket!".  That's going to be really strange for the market.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

So my guess is they are completely scrapping putting CFL on the Kaby Lake chipset, and going to make it more of a platform upgrade (chipset + other features) than just a CPU upgrade.  

Intel doesn't do this stuff for no reason.  Chances are this is what OEM's asked for.

The important detail is that the Z370 & coming 300 series boards will also support the 10 nm Cannon Lake parts in last 2018.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

As of two weeks ago, the only thing Intel is committed to is announcing Coffee Lake in "August-September" range. Launch isn't clear yet.  At Computex they said they'd have "desktop" chips out this year.  But that could be December.

But, seriously, if they drop the X299 then 2 months later are like "look, we have Refreshed Kaby Lake chips! On a new socket!".  That's going to be really strange for the market.

I see. Thank you.

I don't understand why the platform change between Kabylake refresh and Cannonlake. Its not like the chipsets would bottleneck the CPU, because we're not in the 90's and going from 66MHz (or lower if its a 486 & older) all the way to 133MHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm going to ask a question to which I kind of know the answer, but I'm not quite sure so I want to be sure.

Considering the fact that they're going to demand a new motherboard in order to use the refresh processors, even though last year they said it won't require a new one. Fucking assholes.

Is there any chance that since it's still 1151 but called V2 (reminds me of the Germans), that a current Kaby Lake processor will work on these new motherboards?

22 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

I'm going to ask a question to which I kind of know the answer, but I'm not quite sure so I want to be sure.

Considering the fact that they're going to demand a new motherboard in order to use the refresh processors, even though last year they said it won't require a new one. Fucking assholes.

Is there any chance that since it's still 1151 but called V2 (reminds me of the Germans), that a current Kaby Lake processor will work on these new motherboards?

I've seen one rumor, maybe you saw the same, that they had to change chipsets for technical reasons, thus they aren't going to be pin-compatible. But what's going to be really confusing is: Does Coffee & Cannonlake work on the same platforms?  And are Cannon Lake (10 nm die-shrink) chips coming in early 2018?

Or is there only going to be Mobile versions of Cannon Lake, with Desktop not seeing them, at which point Ice Lake is the next upgrade? (Which should bring DDR5, so that means new chipset).  I honestly don't know.

a6118c7bd8ecd37035eee5e996127a08.jpg

Found my own answer.  This is from like 2 weeks ago at an Intel seminar.  

So, yes, somewhere in August-September, Intel is *announcing* Coffee Lake / (Core i7-8700k? ) on the Z370 platform.  6 months later, somewhere in Q1 2018, Intel is *announcing* Coffee Lake for the "mainstream" platform.  Those shouldn't be new chips, however, just a new motherboard set without as many features.  Z370 and 300-series should share a socket.

(Side note: yes, AMD did go with X399 specifically to piss off Intel.)

Cannon Lake, the 10 nm die shrink, then has slipped.  The first roll out is on the Laptop & Device-focused ranges, which in 2016 were on the Roadmap for Q4'2017. Those are now Q2'2018.  So there is still 10 nm yield problems.

Coffee Lake was, however, moved up by a chunk. Possibly way up, but that should be too hard. It's going to be almost the exact same chip again.

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I've seen one rumor, maybe you saw the same, that they had to change chipsets for technical reasons, thus they aren't going to be pin-compatible. But what's going to be really confusing is: Does Coffee & Cannonlake work on the same platforms?  And are Cannon Lake (10 nm die-shrink) chips coming in early 2018?

Or is there only going to be Mobile versions of Cannon Lake, with Desktop not seeing them, at which point Ice Lake is the next upgrade? (Which should bring DDR5, so that means new chipset).  I honestly don't know.

If you're referring to the wcc article, then yes, we both saw the same one.

Thing is only this article says this. The two german websites just talk about the refresh and the upcoming coffee lake and the netbook line-up.

Only wcc talks about 1151v2.

17 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

If you're referring to the wcc article, then yes, we both saw the same one.

Thing is only this article says this. The two german websites just talk about the refresh and the upcoming coffee lake and the netbook line-up.

Only wcc talks about 1151v2.

I don't go to WCC, though I probably saw the source they pulled it from. It was a translated post from a Chinese forum that was on Anandtech.  Said the 8th Gen (Coffee Lake) was a different socket for electrical reasons. I believe it also said Skylake-X was really good as well.

Watching intel panic at AMD giving enthusiasts what they've been screaming for, for years has really given me the best keks I've had in a long while now.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

At this point, I am just so confused by all the new CPUs coming out. 

6 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I don't particularly like intel, but I like coffee :/ 

Of there was a real life Godot, (coffee addict from Phoenix Wright), he'd buy the lake. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…