Intel Announces Kaby Lake-X Processors: High-End Desktop Getting the Latest Microarchitecture

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11463/intel-announces-kaby-lakex-processors-highend-desktop-getting-the-latest-microarchitecture

If you're looking for Skylake-X monsters read my other thread :D

Capture.JPG.68de1ddcdbb9a5d14760332f80c7b705.JPG

Leaks were spot on for these Kabylak-X parts. Higher TDP, higher clocks, higher price, X299.

Compared to the current flagship i7 and i5 processors on LGA 1151 these parts have no iGPU and more power delivery through more pins and increased vias, this means +100mhz on the i7 for 21W. They also have support for higher speed memory 2666mhz vs 2400mhz.

We are expecting the silicon in Kaby Lake-X to be identical to Kaby Lake-S, which in Intel’s nomenclature means a 4+2 arrangement (four cores with GT2 graphics). What separates the two is that Kaby Lake-X will have its graphics fused off, which means unused silicon but also allows the IGP to no longer be a draw on the power available to the processor. The other difference will be in the power delivery – Kaby Lake-X design specifications for motherboard manufacturers supports more voltage pins and larger voltage pathways, which should help with power delivery.

Who's this for?

1) People who want the most single thread performance

2) People who want to buy into X299 now and upgrade later

3) People who want overclocking records (read: Intel's marketing department)

Differences between Kabylake-S, Kabylake-X and Skylake-X

Kaby Lake-X has the same design, structure, and features as Kaby Lake-S. So this means access to the second generation of Speed Shift, but no ECC support. While Skylake-X supports AVX-512 extensions, Kaby Lake-X does not. While Skylake-X supports a new cache hierarchy, with an increased L2 and an adjusted L3, Kaby Lake-X does not.

The thing is, Intel is set to launch Kaby Lake-X processors with more than four cores at a later date. I would expect some of those processors to support the new Skylake-X features. Like Skylake-X, some of these will be Core i7 and some will be Core i9. So there will be a split in features between quad-core and more-than-quad-core Kaby Lake-X CPUs.

Overclocking-ness

Firstly, the professional overclockers managed 7557 MHz encoding stable @1.99 Vcore, with all four cores (no hyperthreading), on Kaby Lake-X.

For comparison, Kaby Lake-S CPUs manage around 7100 MHz. The absolute world record frequency is around 8800 MHz, held by Andre Yang on an AMD FX-8350 processor, although the KBL-X CPU wins here with IPC.

So looks to be a better overclocker than the current consumer Kabylake parts.

Secondly, that Kaby Lake-X uses a thermal interface paste, rather than an indium-tin solder that we have seen on HEDT processors in the past. This raises a number of points, such that extreme overclockers will have to delid to get the best out of the processor, but also it offers a mixed message from Intel. Intel is consistently saying that they’re for enthusiasts, and want to provide the best solutions available especially for the cutting edge of overclocking.

Using a cheaper thermal paste over an indium-tin solder is one way so save 1 cent on a $350 CPU. Intel might argue that delidding a CPU is a common thing for extreme overclockers to do, and it makes little different to the majority of users who will buy the processors.

They are using TIM rather than solder, kinda sends mixed signals for parts where overclocking seems to be a main focus.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

13 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11463/intel-announces-kaby-lakex-processors-highend-desktop-getting-the-latest-microarchitecture

If you're looking for Skylake-X monsters read my other thread :D

Capture.JPG.68de1ddcdbb9a5d14760332f80c7b705.JPG

Compared to the current flagship i7 and i5 processors on LGA 1151 these parts have no iGPU and more power delivery through more pins and increased vias, this means +100mhz on the i7 for 21W. They also have support for higher speed memory 2666mhz vs 2400mhz

Who's this for?

1) People who want the most single thread performance

2) People who want to buy into X299 now and upgrade later

3) People who want overclocking records (read: Intel's marketing department)

Differences between Kabylake-S, Kabylake-X and Skylake-X

Overclocking-ness

So looks to be a better overclocker than the current consumer Kabylake parts.

They are using TIM rather than solder, kinda sends mixed signals for parts where overclocking seems to be a main focus.

That is news which is months old news now,and the i9 is announced with the i9 7920x being top of the line 12 core,lower end i9's coming in in June or July and the i9 7920x top of the line will come in August

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

3 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

That is 2-3 months old news now,and the i9 is announced with the i9 7920x being top of the line 12 core,lower end i9's coming in in June or July and the i9 7920x top of the line will come in August

Rumours may have been going on a few months, but this is the first announcement directly from Intel on their high end platform.

I'm more curious about what Intel is thinking with these CPU's. Gamers don't need them so they are basically only for people who need high IPC/multi-treaded performance (F.E. Video editing). I think it's time for an upgrade @LinusTech

2 minutes ago, HarmFull said:

Rumours may have been going on a few months, but this is the first announcement directly from Intel on their high end platform.

I'm more curious about what Intel is thinking with these CPU's. Gamers don't need them so they are basically only for people who need high IPC/multi-treaded performance (F.E. Video editing). I think it's time for an upgrade @LinusTech

Yeah but anyone with a budget for real video editing wants more than 4 cores.

@Gaurav S Rao Nothing was confirmed until today.

Also,all i9 series processors and maybe all Skylake and Kabylake X will have a X at the end of the CPU name instead of a K at the end on lower end ones (that's what i had read before) rather being a low end one,etc

3 minutes ago, HarmFull said:

Rumours have been going on about Skylake and KabyLake X Since November,and really nothing has changed in the announcement that the rumours rather that 7640k being changed to 7640X and 7740k to 7740X.Yes I don't seem it a huge upgrade from a Broadwell or Kabylake or even Skylake in most cases in gaming,but probably in video editing and overclocking,though i wonder what the TDP will be,I hope not a 100-140W TDP and Hope that Intel's partners (GIGABYTE,ASUS,msi,etc) make cheeper X299 motherboards for the lower end CPU,so it doesnt become a 500$ motherboard for a 300$ CPU,rather it can be higher motherboard prices for a higher end i9 CPU,but not for a i5 and a 500$ motherboard.I think its a Upgrade from Video Editing Machines,but I think for those 2 more cores and 4 more threads in the i9 7920X will be like "Pay a 500$ More for those 2 cores and more 4 threads" lol.

But Still,I think the Ryzen ThreadRipper might be around $1000-1500,or even cheaper for 8 more cores and 16 more threads (basically adding another 1800X or 6900K or 6950X lol) and probably more worth the money

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

11 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Yeah but anyone with a budget for real video editing wants more than 4 cores.

@Gaurav S Rao Nothing was confirmed until today.

But not really anything was changed TODAY.

4 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

But not really anything was changed TODAY.

True, what would you have me do sir?

Just now, randomhkkid said:

True, what would you have me do sir?

Nothing,just not post useless stuff which makes sense but is STILL useless information

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Nothing,just not post useless stuff which makes sense but is STILL useless information

So you're saying that official announcements are useless because the rumors happened to be correct? That's ridiculous.

UPDATE:The i9 7920X is not Top End,the top end i9 is a Intel Core i9 7980XE,along with which beats the Ryzen ThreadRipper,with the i9 being $1,999,while having 2 more new i9's

7960X 16C/32T:$1699 

7940X 14C/28T:$1399

and rest all were already in rumours

and there is a i7 7800X and a i7 7820X,every single Skylake,KabyLake CPU still haging on the LGA 2066

Intel+x+series+family.jpg

but 1 thing, All CPU's Seem to be having 140W TDP (i7's and i9's) except the only i5 having the 112W TDP.Seems like all the i9's Except the 7900X have no more detail about the processors itself except the Cores,Socket and Price

[I got all info from here:    

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/30/intel-core-i9-extreme/]

It strikes me that the reason for the Kaby Lake-X parts might just be that they've kept all of the Kaby Lake parts that had a failed iGPU for this project.  Since Kaby Lake will easily overclock past the numbers they're using for official reference, it makes since with a higher TDP and no iGPU active on the die, that they could easily make those numbers under the TDP limit.

31 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

UPDATE:The i9 7920X is not Top End,the top end i9 is a Intel Core i9 7980XE,along with which beats the Ryzen ThreadRipper,with the i9 being $1,999,while having 2 more new i9's

7960X 16C/32T:$1699 

7940X 14C/28T:$1399

and rest all were already in rumours

and there is a i7 7800X and a i7 7820X,every single Skylake,KabyLake CPU still haging on the LGA 2066

You realise there's a whole other thread on the front page dedicated to the Skylake-X parts right? I clearly state at the top of the OP that this is just a thread for the two Kabylake-X parts.

24 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It strikes me that the reason for the Kaby Lake-X parts might just be that they've kept all of the Kaby Lake parts that had a failed iGPU for this project.  Since Kaby Lake will easily overclock past the numbers they're using for official reference, it makes since with a higher TDP and no iGPU active on the die, that they could easily make those numbers under the TDP limit.

Interesting thought, I'm actually not sure about how a CPU is manufactured but my initial thought is that it can't be the same due to the different pin configuration and power delivery.

10 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

You realise there's a whole other thread on the front page dedicated to the Skylake-X parts right? I clearly state at the top of the OP that this is just a thread for the two Kabylake-X parts.

I already knew Skylake-X was going to come out since the starting of the year!

anyway,SORRY

5 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Here in a few months we'll be reading:

"Intel advises i7 7740x owners NOT to overclock their CPUs to avoid high temperatures."

Eh... since they ditched the iGPU I honestly feel this processor should have an extra core enable, 5c/10t overclocking beast could be an interesting highest end gaming solution, but the way it is this processor is pretty much meaningless in my humble opinion, going with the i7 7700k is cheaper and equal in real life performance outside the synthetic benchmarks.

I don't really buy the idea that someone would buy a 7640x to upgrade later, for the costs such person could just grab a 1700 on a b350 for the same price and be done with it without further investments.

the 7640x is a bad humor joke, a 4/4t on x299 nowadays has no justification it'll battle with the i3 7350k as the most useless processor Intel ever made with nearly no sales at all for sure.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I saw the "Who this is for" section but still don't understand the whole mainstream processors mixing into HEDT territory. 

It would be one thing if the new chipset just had support for a couple mainstream processors because they are the same socket, but why are they considering those mainstream spec'd processors high end? 

Oh yeah, to increase sales by making people think they are hopping into the high end market at low costs. A large group of unknowing consumers will buy a more expensive mobo with features they'll never utilize just to get into the "HEDT" or "X" zone.

I'd like to be mad at intel for messing with their classification system, but I can't because the fault lies with all the people who will buy $250-$300 X series motherboards and throw 4 core/4 thread i5's on them. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I saw the "Who this is for" section but still don't understand the whole mainstream processors mixing into HEDT territory. 

It would be one thing if the new chipset just had support for a couple mainstream processors because they are the same socket, but why are they considering those mainstream spec'd processors high end? 

Oh yeah, to increase sales by making people think they are hopping into the high end market at low costs. A large group of unknowing consumers will buy a more expensive mobo with features they'll never utilize just to get into the "HEDT" zone.

I'd like to be mad at intel for messing with their classification system, but I can't because the fault lies with all the people who will buy $250-$300 X series motherboards and throw 4 core/4 thread i5's on them. 

Intel is attempting to move the gaming enthusiasts from their mainstream platform to their enthusiast platform.

11 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Intel is attempting to move the gaming enthusiasts from their mainstream platform to their enthusiast platform.

I see that and understand it's to make more money, but it's at the cost of making classes pointless.

Next year why not throw some i3's in the HEDT or X category to get the basic budget users hyped?

Why not just start considering every processor high end and classify them in different tiers of high end from low-high end to high-high end?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I see that and understand it's to make more money, but it's at the cost of making classes pointless.

Next year why not throw some i3's in the HEDT or X category to get the basic budget users hyped?

Why not just start considering every processor high end and classify them in different tiers of high end from low-high end to high-high end?

This. I wonder if they realised they were getting lots of chips back with only 4 functional cores and decided that there was money to be recouped.

The bottom 2 processors on this platform make absolutely no sense at all... x299 with dual channel cpus ? Really ???

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

If i decide to go x299 instead of sticking with x99 since i have the asrockx99 taichi mobo but not bought a cpu and cooler yet wonder if i could still use my 4x4gb crucial ddr4 2133 ram.

Oh look 4 core cpu's that hasnt been done before /s

AMD design strategy = moar cores!!!!

Intel design strategy = moar 4 core procesors!!!