Any software better than solid works or AI?

Joelbanks5

So all my school has taught me is solid works and Adobe Illustrator, my question is is there better software to use than these 2? And what is the software or steps required to actually print something? My school doesn't have a 3D printer so I was never actually able to print any of my models in solid works.

Better for what?

Those are two completely different pieces of software.

Different software is good for different things.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, you want to print your models I guess ....more or less all you do have to do is:

1. Designing it, solidworks is fine, AutoCAD, FreeCAD, Fuison360, Blender, (Meshmixer) ... more or less  any CAD or modeling softwares are fine, more or less as long as it can

2. export as .STL or .OBJ  (maybe .SVG)

3. Than take it through through slicing software, this is the part were the 3D Printing and experience would come in handy. The most common are slicing softwares are probably Cura (free), Simpify3D (pricy), Slic3r (free), Craftware (free) ... take note that some of these can safe a file as a .gcode so that you can print "offline" per SD-Card some need a direct wire to the printer (Slic3r for example)

4. Print it, printing itself isn't a plug in play process most of the time you need to tinker about printin settings and you need some knowledge about what your printer is cabable of and which parameters are spacial for each printmaterial.

The esiest way to get into 3D Printing is, model some simple and functional obejects, watch 3dPrining related content (I can recomand Thomas Sanladerer YT-Channel) than maybe search on 3D HUBS for printing services nearby to let someone print your designs. After you actually see how printed parts will look like you could ask the 3D printing service provider (maybe a passionate private one, these will most likely help introduce someone new) if he can show you some of his printers running and maybe teach you some secrets about the subject.

After all that you could decide if you want a printer for your own ... either a KIT if your a tinker-dude like me for example, base 3D Printer kits can be brought relativly cheap (but don't cheap out to much, ask your local 3D printing expert, too) . For more recommendations ask on reddit or the in the Goggle groups. 

If you want a full machine as your first printer you can buy that, too but they are more pricy of course.

If you have some experiece in craftsmanship you can also go full ham and build a DIY printer but I don't recommand that for a newbie.

PS: As a newbie I would recomand as software: Fusion360 for modeling, if you are experienced with solidworks you can take that, than Cura as a slicing software, the last patches are really polished it's a very capable software that also supports "offline" printing and as a newbie 3D Printer with some cash on hand  I would recommand a genuine Prusa MK2.

So you're preparing to spend thousands of dollars on machinery and you have no clue how to use them? 3D printers are not like laser jet printers, it's not just plug 'n' chug. It's equal parts art and science and sometimes it'll make you pull your hair out. Go to a maker space. 

Solidworks is a very powerful software. If you have unrestricted access to it and you're comfortable with it, stick with it. Otherwise I would switch to Fusion 360 as it is an easier, more intuitive software that is free and just as powerful. 

ASU

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

So you're preparing to spend thousands of dollars on machinery and you have no clue how to use them? 3D printers are not like laser jet printers, it's not just plug 'n' chug. It's equal parts art and science and sometimes it'll make you pull your hair out. Go to a maker space. 

Solidworks is a very powerful software. If you have unrestricted access to it and you're comfortable with it, stick with it. Otherwise I would switch to Fusion 360 as it is an easier, more intuitive software that is free and just as powerful. 

I know how to use the laser cutters, I use it often in school. I need one at home so I can work on personal projects. As far as 3D printers go I know how to design stuff and what not I just don't know how to actually print it which I'm fairly certain there are great YouTube videos for. And if I need more personal help with it I have a friend who owns a 3D printer and knows how to use it well so I can just get help from him. I'm not stupid I know what I'm doing, I don't go around blowing thousands of dollars on machines I won't use. I fully intend on using them and taking care of them

26 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

I know how to use the laser cutters, I use it often in school. I need one at home so I can work on personal projects. As far as 3D printers go I know how to design stuff and what not I just don't know how to actually print it which I'm fairly certain there are great YouTube videos for. And if I need more personal help with it I have a friend who owns a 3D printer and knows how to use it well so I can just get help from him. I'm not stupid I know what I'm doing, I don't go around blowing thousands of dollars on machines I won't use. I fully intend on using them and taking care of them

All you need to make a "printable" model is a software that can export an stl or step file. The slicing and gcode generation is done by a separate software like repiteir host or simplify 3d to run the printer.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 hour ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Need or want? Lasers are very expensive and fairly niche as far as what you can do with them. Stick to a maker space or school. Do what you want, but I don't want you to waste money. 

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Need or want? Lasers are very expensive and fairly niche as far as what you can do with them. Stick to a maker space or school. Do what you want, but I don't want you to waste money. 

I actually use laser cutters for a lot of things, mostly mechanisms, but I use it for other things as well. And I'm fairly certain the desktop laser cutters are around the same price as 3D printers