Paypal suing Pandora for using the letter 'P'

Elerek

I don't think people understand the issue here. At a glance, the logos are very similar, if not nearly identical (with the colours reversed). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

This is almost as idiotic as the makers of 'Candy Crush Saga' suing the developers of 'The Banner Saga' over their use of the word Saga.

Did they ever win that one?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Paypal needs to go P P on the third rail for coming up with this lawsuit.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

if I was the judge I toss the case out asap.... paypal has double pp.... and the apps are for totally different purposes.. Hell Pandora should counter sue for making them waste time in court... 

2 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

if I was the judge I toss the case out asap.... paypal has double pp.... and the apps are for totally different purposes.. Hell Pandora should counter sue for making them waste time in court... 

if you were A. unfamilar with the logos B. at a quick glance one could get them mixed up

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 hour ago, aidanapple said:

Wow, way to go Paypal! /s

Seriously, why do companies make big deals out of nothing. For money?

In America, there are services dedicated to suing people for stuff that doesn't matter...

In all seriousness, the P do look very similar in both logos except for a slight slant and the stem being shorter in pandora's. They even have the same colors  so *shrug* 

this is going to get tossed out in court.

if Pandora and PayPal actually competed in the same market, then yes, there would be a case to be made as people could be confusing the 2 music services, or payment services. However since they dont compete at all, one is music the other is payment, people arent gonna get confused.  i dont even believe they compete for screen space either, who puts there billing stuff on the same screen as their music stuff?? bank apps on one screen, media on another.

This whole thing is a joke

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

17 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

this is going to get tossed out in court.

if Pandora and PayPal actually competed in the same market, then yes, there would be a case to be made as people could be confusing the 2 music services, or payment services. However since they dont compete at all, one is music the other is payment, people arent gonna get confused.  i dont even believe they compete for screen space either, who puts there billing stuff on the same screen as their music stuff?? bank apps on one screen, media on another.

This whole thing is a joke

I have my apps organized by Alphabet, so the two P's are right next to each other and I actually hit the wrong one between Pandora and PayPal all the time. No lie, I was talking about this problem exactly a week ago telling a friend that PayPal could sue Pandora over this. He thought I was crazy. Sending him a link to this article right now lol.

Edit: I actually did hit Pandora just today when trying to go to PayPal to see if my Floatplane renewal purchase went through okay.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I think this is completely fair. The logo's are very similar to the point that you could click the wrong one which I would get eternally frustrated with if I used paypal and pandora consistently.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

2 minutes ago, RedSpade said:

I think this is completely fair. The logo's are very similar to the point that you could click the wrong one which I would get eternally frustrated with if I used paypal and pandora consistently.

This is me, I use both daily... I get them confused all the time, even today, and was talking about how PayPal should sue Pandora a week ago.

Screenshot_2017-05-23-20-16-22.png

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

gotta make sure who has the bigger pp around here

paypal don't want pandora threatening its pp

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

I wouldn't be surprised if this case gets dismissed immediately and PP is fishing for some type of settlement in advance.  It's blatantly obvious that Pandora isn't stealing Paypal's icon when the colors are different, the font on the P is different, and Paypal doesn't even having a fucking single P for their logo.

This would be like Microsoft going and suing every website that has windows in the name and saying that they're competing for valuable browser usage time.  Sorry, but that precedent got set like 20 years ago.  

"oh I was looking for Microsoft Windows but I ended up on Mario's Windows so now I'm not interested in Microsoft anymore, but damn Mario makes some good windows"

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

fucking stupid, paypal, please loose. 

also pandora isn't in canada so.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 hours ago, Himommies said:

it's like how disney sued deadmau5

It's like how I filed an Injunction for this entire thread...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Paypal: "I think a letter of the alphabet is hurting our business. and infringing copyright. While we didn't invent the letter we actually used the schadow effect from Word 97 to make our generic logo less generic, joke's on you, we deserve money."

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I preferred the old Pandora logo, to be frank.

Why the hell would you want to be frank? I hate that guy.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

5 minutes ago, Remixt said:

Why the hell would you want to be frank? I hate that guy.

You hate French people?! Wow! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1b7b986bb10951213bfa19c25a67555e.jpg

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

this is the problem with minimalist design, you can only have so many variations of it.

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Cool, more court established precedent for when I sue @MageTank for him having the letter 'A' as a letter in his name.

/s

11 hours ago, aidanapple said:

Yes, however the icons are only marginally similar, not the same exact logo. When my copyrights are approved, however, I would never jump on someone else who has the same letter.

11 hours ago, FloRolf said:

The whole idea of making a copyright to the letter P on the other hand is a stupid american thing that should totally die in a huge firestorm full of sharks.

11 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

Oh my gosh, paypal what the fuck. You fucking idiots. You don't own the letter P, P is for PISS OFF.

11 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

So, is PayPal going to begin suing every app maker who has a blue & white app logo that prominently features the letter 'P'?  

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Paypal needs to go P P on the third rail for coming up with this lawsuit.

read the article. its not about the letter p. \/ \/ \/ \/

10 hours ago, rashdanml said:

I don't think people understand the issue here. At a glance, the logos are very similar, if not nearly identical (with the colours reversed). 

10 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

if you were A. unfamilar with the logos B. at a quick glance one could get them mixed up

exactly the icons look similar and could be confused for each other. paypal have a perfectly good case IMHO

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017