How LTT turned me into an addict. Thanks Linus.

mrzoltowski

8 months ago, I was content and happy. My trusty Lenovo Razer pre-built PC ... browsing the web, playing some games and doing work.

Then I came across this little channel on YouTube, called Linus Tech Tips, featuring a complete control freak that breaks things all the time @LinusTech and a mild mannered goofball that is quite easy on the eye @Slick . This is where their entertaining and engaging content started to brain wash me. Soon enough I started hearing voices. Those voices told me ... "Nooo, you don't need new clothes ... buy a new CPU! .... noooo you don't need to fix that leaky bathroom pipe, buy a new graphics card!" ... as the weeks and moths progressed the undeniable charm of the LLT team and those HYPNOTOAD eyes have slowly etched a complete and insatiable hunger into ever fibre of my being.  That hunger was for one thing only, a custom build PC and RGB. 

For many weeks I questioned my sanity, having binge watched the ENTIRE LTT back catalogue in under 2 months. Did it scratch that itch? Did it satisfy? NO ... I needed more, I needed something stronger.

So I said to myself, hey ! I'll buy a case .... and move my rusty Lenovo parts into it .... just to see what happens. So I bought a Corsair Carbide 400C White, it had a clear window so you could see your computer parts. What a novel idea! I exclaimed ... in my head. With my brain armed with all the combined knowledge of LTT staff I managed the move.

A few days have passed, I stared at this clear window, the parts inside, green and dark and ugly ....  my life lost meaning ... colours faded ... sounds muted ... I have become my case .. an empty shell full of potential.

Something had to be done, images of previous LTT videos flashed inside of my mind, so fresh, so new .... @LinusTech whispering into my ear ..... "build ... build my friend .... be free".

8 moths and almost £3000 later .... I have a kickass PC. It reflects me, it is an extension of me, my little precious thing. It has my favourite colours, it has my design sensibility. It is a reflection of me. I worked hard for it and on it. I tweak it almost every day, imagine new ways to cable manage, look up new things I can add to it.

Yet I want more, I want to build something else,something better ...

When will it end? Maybe never ... but this new passion and fire I have for PC stuff .... the only limit is my imagination ... and wallet :)

Let me know in the comments how LTT has affected the way you look at PC hardware ...

My little baby

m2.jpg

me1.jpg

me5.jpg

me6.jpg

5 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

8 months ago, I was content and happy. My trusty Lenovo Razer pre-built PC ... browsing the web, playing some games and doing work.

Then I came across this little channel on YouTube, called Linus Tech Tips, featuring a complete control freak that breaks things all the time @LinusTech and a mild mannered goofball that is quite easy on the eye @Slick . This is where their entertaining and engaging content started to brain wash me. Soon enough I started hearing voices. Those voices told me ... "Nooo, you don't need new clothes ... buy a new CPU! .... noooo you don't need to fix that leaky bathroom pipe, buy a new graphics card!" ... as the weeks and moths progressed the undeniable charm of the LLT team and those HYPNOTOAD eyes have slowly etched a complete and insatiable hunger into ever fibre of my being.  That hunger was for one thing only, a custom build PC and RGB. 

For many weeks I questioned my sanity, having binge watched the ENTIRE LTT back catalogue in under 2 months. Did it scratch that itch? Did it satisfy? NO ... I needed more, I needed something stronger.

So I said to myself, hey ! I'll buy a case .... and move my rusty Lenovo parts into it .... just to see what happens. So I bought a Corsair Carbide 400C White, it had a clear window so you could see your computer parts. What a novel idea! I exclaimed ... in my head. With my brain armed with all the combined knowledge of LTT staff I managed the move.

A few days have passed, I stared at this clear window, the parts inside, green and dark and ugly ....  my life lost meaning ... colours faded ... sounds muted ... I have become my case .. an empty shell full of potential.

Something had to be done, images of previous LTT videos flashed inside of my mind, so fresh, so new .... @LinusTech whispering into my ear ..... "build ... build my friend .... be free".

8 moths and almost £3000 later .... I have a kickass PC. It reflects me, it is an extension of me, my little precious thing. It has my favourite colours, it has my design sensibility. It is a reflection of me. I worked hard for it and on it. I tweak it almost every day, imagine new ways to cable manage, look up new things I can add to it.

Yet I want more, I want to build something else,something better ...

When will it end? Maybe never ... but this new passion and fire I have for PC stuff .... the only limit is my imagination ... and wallet :)

Let me know in the comments how LTT has affected the way you look at PC hardware ...

My little baby

compu_one.jpg.079429ed02838f679bc8253b64dd87ab.jpg

compu_one2.jpg.b13e82bb95fe65bb7892051a54248f08.jpg

I wish I had a lot of spare money laying around 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

It inspired me to build a ryzen 7 1800X PC... Soon I'll even upgrade my R9 285 to an RX580...

derp

My goal is make the most overkill PC possible without using a single RGB to spite Linus :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Me too. I had a trusty MSI GP60 laptop which did the job for me. 

But after 3 months of watching LTT videos, I had to do something about it. So 3 months later, I came up with my new baby below.

And now I spend any and every free time from work looking for new hardware to add, new ways to cable manage, new ways to improve air flow, etc...

1 minute ago, leontai_9222 said:

Me too. I had a trusty MSI GP60 laptop which did the job for me. 

But after 3 months of watching LTT videos, I had to do something about it. So 3 months later, I came up with my new baby below.

And now I spend any and every free time from work looking for new hardware to add, new ways to cable manage, new ways to improve air flow, etc...

No pics?

I'm new. still trying to figure out how to work this thing. =D

Um sorry but i had to.

57 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Linus Tech Tips

Its 

"LinusTechTips".

I flipped shit when they changed the youtube name. LOL

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Good choice of case. I love the matching of the lights with your background.

"Who's to say that my light is better than your darkness? Who's to say death is better than your darkness? Who am I to say?” - Daniel Keyes

i3-6100/GTX 750 Ti/8GB DDR4 | M1 Macbook Pro 13 16GB RAM/256GB Storage | Steam

happened to me too. 

last week I sold my old pc, piece by piece. 

Maybe someday you will lose interest. 

like I did. 

It is a sick ass looking pc though, dont get me wrong. Mine was not even close to yours. I just lost interest to gaming. 

Edited by mrchow19910319

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

20 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

happened to me too. 

last week I sold my old pc, piece by piece. 

Maybe someday you will lose interest. 

like I did. 

It is a sick ass looking pc though, dont get me wrong. Mine was not even close to yours. I just lost interest to gaming. 

Some people care more about building and maintaining the pc than gaming.

I got into hardware because of gaming,but now I love it. Still, im all about function (for my use case, which is gaming), so I dont care about m.2 SSDs and gazilion core CPUs.

I hope I can build a monster pc someday, but for now I settle with small upgrades when I can.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

The typical addict blames others.

But realize this, your index finger is pointing towards linus but you got 3 fingers pointing back at you and perhaps your thumb is point to God.

I got bored of LTT after about a week or two. Now I hardly watch much of his stuff.

Very cool. You just might be a little bit insane tho :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Very cool. You just might be a little bit insane tho :P 

Just a bit? Ha!

That's a beauty that man!

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

For me, it was the whole PC gaming community that got under my skin. I wedged my foot in the door by joining the Tom's Hardware forums (back before I discovered and joined the LTT forums). Since then, the door has been blown wide open and the "PC enthusiast" world has taken over a significant chunk of my life. ;) 

For me, building, fixing, overclocking and modifying PC's is just as addictive as doing the same with cars (which I used to do a lot more of in the past). 

It's a slippery slope and for many, your setup/build is never fully and completely "finished". It's a constant, evolving functional work of art. :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

For me, it was the whole PC gaming community that got under my skin. I wedged my foot in the door by joining the Tom's Hardware forums (back before I discovered and joined the LTT forums). Since then, the door has been blown wide open and the "PC enthusiast" world has taken over a significant chunk of my life. ;) 

For me, building, fixing, overclocking and modifying PC's is just as addictive as doing the same with cars (which I used to do a lot more of in the past). 

It's a slippery slope and for many, your setup/build is never fully and completely "finished". It's a constant, evolving functional work of art. :) 

Bravo!

What a true story! I found the LTT YouTube channel a long time ago, but at that time I didn't know much about computers and customization. I had already started my collection, but it was small (about 5 or so machines). As I learned more and more, I got more and more and actually started to do things with them. I've built a few of my computers, and I know so much about others. My favorite brand of computers and hardware quickly became Dell. My collection has since grown to 57 computers (as of writing) and I get more all the time. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I found LinusTechTips about uh.... a year ago? Or about yeah close to a year ago. And I didn't even know LTT Forums existed. I just wait for new videos from Linus everyday. He was addicting to watch. His face , his eyes.... his gigantic chin.... ahh my fantasies

14 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What a true story! I found the LTT YouTube channel a long time ago, but at that time I didn't know much about computers and customization. I had already started my collection, but it was small (about 5 or so machines). As I learned more and more, I got more and more and actually started to do things with them. I've built a few of my computers, and I know so much about others. My favorite brand of computers and hardware quickly became Dell. My collection has since grown to 57 computers (as of writing) and I get more all the time. 

Um ... you might have an actual problem ....

Image result for computer hoarder

1 minute ago, mrzoltowski said:

Um ... you might have an actual problem ....

Yes, I have a lot of problems. Where is that??!! I need to go! NOW!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

This has got "I'm going custom loop" written all over it! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Yes, I have a lot of problems. Where is that??!! I need to go! NOW!

LOL, aww I hope you know I was just kidding :) ....

I used to hang out around these sorts of heaps as a young kid. My dad designed microprocessors.