$1,000 Budget PC Build Guide

7 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Linus' explanation for why they chose what they chose. (Timestamp is 57:50)

This is what I picked up from what they said about the build guide's selection of components:

It looks like the choices were made before other relevant parts (like the Ryzen, the 580, and so forth) were already decided long before the video went up in too tight a time frame to do much else but work with what they already had selected. Some parts that were out by the time the video was released weren't yet a useful option (or even out yet) by the time it was shot. So, they had to work with what they had available.

tl;dr: Timing happened such that that was what they had to work with at the time of filming, and since then better stuff has come out which would change some of the selections. Blame timing.

4 minutes ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

This is what I picked up from what they said about the build guide's selection of components:

It looks like the choices were made before other relevant parts (like the Ryzen, the 580, and so forth) were already decided long before the video went up in too tight a time frame to do much else but work with what they already had selected. Some parts that were out by the time the video was released weren't yet a useful option (or even out yet) by the time it was shot. So, they had to work with what they had available.

tl;dr: Timing happened such that that was what they had to work with at the time of filming, and since then better stuff has come out which would change some of the selections. Blame timing.

The video didn't have to get released. Linus said he even realized it wasn't a good build because they were forced to wait too long between ordering the parts and filming it and then they had to wait even longer when there were delays in editing it. At that point they should've redone the build and either changed parts or change the theme of the build. But instead, he chose to look like an idiot, and do a disservice to his viewers, and put out a build that he knew was bad. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

29 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The video didn't have to get released. Linus said he even realized it wasn't a good build because they were forced to wait too long between ordering the parts and filming it and then they had to wait even longer when there were delays in editing it. At that point they should've redone the build and either changed parts or change the theme of the build. But instead, he chose to look like an idiot, and do a disservice to his viewers, and put out a build that he knew was bad. 

If they would have taken out the "value" portions of the video, and edited in a new intro "Silent air cooled PC for under $1000", it might have saved it, but even under messure it was a pretty piss poor component selection. Honestly I think it was a pretty bad build even in a non-Ryzen world.

2 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

"Silent air cooled PC for under $1000", it might have saved it,

but even under messure it was a pretty piss poor component selection. Honestly I think it was a pretty bad build even in a non-Ryzen world.

That's what they should've done.

Yes it was, you could easily have gotten a 1070 into it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What are the chances someone blindly buying these parts wouldn't even be able to make their computer post because of that board? Is there a big chance it would be shipped with an old bios not compatible for the Kaby lake chips? 

I can can just imagine this being someone's first build and them not knowing why their PC won't post. 

2 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

What are the chances someone blindly buying these parts wouldn't even be able to make their computer post because of that board? Is there a big chance it would be shipped with an old bios not compatible for the Kaby lake chips? 

I can can just imagine this being someone's first build and them not knowing why their PC won't post. 

Quite high actually.

21 hours ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

In a world of tech, parts are always coming out, be quick or bust.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:10 AM, pelark said:

If it was budget, wouldn't it be a better idea to use the Pure Rock? Much cheaper and works wonderfully on a locked CPU. 

allow or provide a particular amount of money in a budget.
"the university is budgeting for a deficit"
synonyms: allocate, allot, allow, earmark, designate, set aside
"we have to budget $7,000 for the work"

I like how alot of you think 'budget" just means little money. It doesn't. It means how much money you- well let google explain 

Just now, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

I like how alot of you think 'budget" just means little money. It doesn't. It means how much money you- well let google explain 

Budget in the context of the video and in colloquial use implies good value. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

Yeah let google explain what is the difference between a noun and a verb :D

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Noxenvon said:

Nice one! Thanks, I'll write up a post shortly.

Please do not follow this awful build. I hope you have indeed posted in the forums and let forum members help you. We have no corporate bias which is unfortunately what LTT (the youtube channel) has fallen victim to.

I invented a new drinking game! I take a shot every time some write 'quite!' instead of 'quiet!'.

I am completely hammered.

54 minutes ago, rasmuskrj said:

I invented a new drinking game! I take a shot every time some write 'quite!' instead of 'quiet!'.

I am completely hammered.

That sounds like quiet the quite game to play by yourself.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi

This is what i came up with . It's $1250.07 build but it has Ryzen 1700 X which is way better than that i5 and it's a great choice for content creation 

I would go with no case if i was really low on budget but i chose a case with tempered glass just to match what linus did 

I also used a 650W full modular PSU with 80+ gold . It's an overkill for sure but i used this so it will be future proof ( maybe crossfire ) 

You definitely can use a cheap case and PSU

The mobo is X370 so you can OC if you want .

There is a Samsung 850Pro 256GB SSD that you can swap for cheaper ones as well

If you are not in to video editing , PS etc , You can use a much much cheaper Ryzen 5 and pay more for GPU or whatever you want.

I will post another system which is mainly about gaming with a weaker cpu 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HCGwnn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HCGwnn/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($350.19 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($148.20 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($137.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.45 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card  ($231.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Inwin - 303 Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1250.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 14:51 EDT-0400

Tell me what you think ?

2 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Hi

This is what i came up with . It's $1250.07 build but it has Ryzen 1700 X which is way better than that i5 and it's a great choice for content creation 

I would go with no case if i was really low on budget but i chose a case with tempered glass just to match what linus did 

I also used a 650W full modular PSU with 80+ gold . It's an overkill for sure but i used this so it will be future proof ( maybe crossfire ) 

You definitely can use a cheap case and PSU

The mobo is X370 so you can OC if you want .

There is a Samsung 850Pro 256GB SSD that you can swap for cheaper ones as well

If you are not in to video editing , PS etc , You can use a much much cheaper Ryzen 5 and pay more for GPU or whatever you want.

I will post another system which is mainly about gaming with a weaker cpu 

Tell me what you think ?

It's well over the $1000 budget that the video was aiming for. The 1700X isn't worth paying for, it's just an overclocked 1700. The BeQuiet Pure Rock/Cryorig H7 are better coolers at a similar price point. The board is overkill. Why an 850 Pro? At that point you may as well get an M.2 SSD. And the PSU is junk. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's well over the $1000 budget that the video was aiming for. The 1700X isn't worth paying for, it's just an overclocked 1700. The BeQuiet Pure Rock/Cryorig H7 are better coolers at a similar price point. The board is overkill. Why an 850 Pro? At that point you may as well get an M.2 SSD. And the PSU is junk. 

Whats wrong with the PSU ? It's cheap but its EVGA xD 

And i avoid BeQuiet only because of this video xDxD

The board is not overkill if you oc . And i chose Ryzen 7 because that build is not only for gaming .

I'll post another one only for gaming , but do you want me to include a tempered glass case or do the right think and go with a cheap one ?

Just now, Red Hardware said:

Whats wrong with the PSU ? It's cheap but its EVGA xD 

The board is not overkill if you oc .

And i chose Ryzen 7 because that build is not only for gaming .

I'll post another one only for gaming , but do you want me to include a tempered glass case or do the right think and go with a cheap one ?

The G1 series is mediocre at best. Check out the PSU tier list in my signature (anything tier 1-3 is good). 

It is, you can easily overclock on a cheaper board without any problems. 

I understand why you chose an R7, but get a 1700, the 1700x is the exact same chip just overclocked -- it's not worth the extra money.  

I'd pick a cheaper case like an S340, but I think a good looking case is important. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

That sounds like quiet the quite game to play by yourself.

I lol'ed

This is what i ended up with for $1125.04

I know it costs more than $1000 but i could easily cheap out on case or go with a 4 core cpu (as linus did) and it will be cheaper than $1000 but in my opinion , those 2 extra cores worth it 

The CPU is better than what linus ended up with , and the most important thing , i have a 1070 in there with acx 3.0 cooler!! 

The mobo has good io and supports overclocking !!!! and looks good 

i went for a ATX board but you can easily save some money buy having a micro ATX board 

So it's possible to have a 1070 instead of a 480 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xVcjQV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xVcjQV/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.98 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($119.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.45 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Inwin - 303 Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1125.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 16:21 EDT-0400

what do you think @djdwosk97

1 minute ago, Red Hardware said:

This is what i ended up with for $1125.04

I know it costs more than $1000 but i could easily cheap out on case or go with a 4 core cpu (as linus did) and it will be cheaper than $1000 but in my opinion , those 2 extra cores worth it 

The CPU is better than what linus ended up with , and the most important thing , i have a 1070 in there with acx 3.0 cooler!! 

The mobo has good io and supports overclocking !!!! and looks good 

i went for a ATX board but you can easily save some money buy having a micro ATX board 

So it's possible to have a 1070 instead of a 480 

what do you think @djdwosk97

Change the PSU and the cooler. I would also get the Windforce 1070, the ACX cooler isn't worth an extra $40 (the ACX cooler also has problems, you'd want the ICX cooler).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Change the PSU and the cooler. I would also get the Windforce 1070, the ACX cooler isn't worth an extra $40 (the ACX cooler also has problems, you'd want the ICX cooler).

I'm not going to buy this for sure ! If I was going to do so , i would go with Ryzen 7 , better cooler and psu and no case at all . You can always buy a good case in future. 

What I was trying to do was making a better build than what linus did and i think I did that. 1070 , 6core/ 12 t processor and a better ssd

Hi, guys!

Personally, I was sceptical about the parts, but I loved seeing building vids come back....and in flames haha!

I wanted to ask you all about my builds since I am currently looking to upgrade and remain within the 1000$ price (even though I'm in Switzerland so its a little more expensive but close enough).

Since I am still not completely convinced about making (for the first time) the switch to AMD, I came with two builds, which only differ from the Proc/MoBo combo, and remain around the same price range

Just for you to know, I do not intend to overclock, I already have a cooler that would adapt to the i7 (and was thinking of going with the stock cooler for AMD), the case I will keep it cuz I really wanted a Fractal one for some time (love their design), and the GPU will not change since I just received it as a gift (I just added it to be thorough).

Thank you for the LTT Team for making amusing content every time (even though you a prone to some heat haha)!

Thanks the community for your comments :D

4 minutes ago, cholotoast said:

Hi, guys!

Personally, I was sceptical about the parts, but I loved seeing building vids come back....and in flames haha!

I wanted to ask you all about my builds since I am currently looking to upgrade and remain within the 1000$ price (even though I'm in Switzerland so its a little more expensive but close enough).

Since I am still not completely convinced about making (for the first time) the switch to AMD, I came with two builds, which only differ from the Proc/MoBo combo, and remain around the same price range

Just for you to know, I do not intend to overclock, I already have a cooler that would adapt to the i7 (and was thinking of going with the stock cooler for AMD), the case I will keep it cuz I really wanted a Fractal one for some time (love their design), and the GPU will not change since I just received it as a gift (I just added it to be thorough).

Thank you for the LTT Team for making amusing content every time (even though you a prone to some heat haha)!

Thanks the community for your comments :D

Definitely the Ryzen build. Although you can get a cheaper (B350) motherboard and I would try to get a dual fan card. The SSD and PSU are also both on the expensive side, but regional pricing could of course be very different for you.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@djdwosk97

Thanks man for your input!

yeah for the PSU it was more because of the gold certify, but I could go for lower I reckon.