Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes
16 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

All you need to do is put a Dbrand skin on it without the logo cut out and set the keyboard back light to white or another neutral colour. 

Ikr?  Unfortunately DBrand doesn't make AW skins.  I usually only have the keyboard dimmed and set to light blue when at work, all other lights are off.

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

Ikr?  Unfortunately DBrand doesn't make AW skins.  I usually only have the keyboard dimmed and set to light blue when at work, all other lights are off.

I think they have matt white skins? 

Would love to own one , but the price is still way too high for me :(

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

I think they have matt white skins? 

They don't have any at all.  A while back, DBrand said they might support the Alienware line.  Whether that happened or not, I'm not sure.

No chance in hell they can sell these in Europe. Windows 10S is locked into Edge and Bing, you can't choose another browser or search engine as a default. Last time Microsoft pulled this kind of shit they paid hundreds of millions in fines. Hopefully US Anti-Trust laws force them to change this bullshit limitation in that market as well.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

1 hour ago, Terodius said:

No chance in hell they can sell these in Europe. Windows 10S is locked into Edge and Bing, you can't choose another browser or search engine as a default. Last time Microsoft pulled this kind of shit they paid hundreds of millions in fines. Hopefully US Anti-Trust laws force them to change this bullshit limitation in that market as well.

This doesn't even come close to anti trust in the US, there are way to many options for consumers.  I seriously wish the EU would stop playing the communist dictatorship with corporations.  There are consumer laws to protect consumers.  Dictating how they should design there products is BS.   Just becasue Neelie Kroes prefers open source doesn't give her the right to make companies hand over their IP.  That will stifle innovation and technological advancement.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 03/05/2017 at 8:49 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Again, this laptop is a premium personal laptop. Name all the laptop competition you think is in the premium personal laptop category and then I'll explain for each individual laptop whether the Surface is better or the laptop of your choice is better.

Erm, literally any new ultrabook with proper port support? There are loads, including the stealth and some others, but I'm kinda busy right now to look all of em.

It has great battery life I will give it that (assuming it stands in tests however), but one USB A and mini Display port just doesn't cut it. What if you want to connect multiple usb devices? What about USB type C? Ethernet?! All would need an adapter. 

And the lack of RAM at this price is a massive let down, while 4GB of RAM isn't a catastrophe if you don't do much some competitors managed to fit 8GB at the same price point. 

The lack of ports makes this a difficult buy, as far the only good thing I see that it offers is the great battery life, otherwise it seems like it falls short. I will still wait for the review, but as far I'm not expecting anything ground breaking.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

Erm, literally any new ultrabook with proper port support? There are loads, including the stealth and some others, but I'm kinda busy right now to look all of em.

It has great battery life I will give it that (assuming it stands in tests however), but one USB A and mini Display port just doesn't cut it. What if you want to connect multiple usb devices? What about USB type C? Ethernet?! All would need an adapter. 

And the lack of RAM at this price is a massive let down, while 4GB of RAM isn't a catastrophe if you don't do much some competitors managed to fit 8GB at the same price point. 

The lack of ports makes this a difficult buy, as far the only good thing I see that it offers is the great battery life, otherwise it seems like it falls short. I will still wait for the review, but as far I'm not expecting anything ground breaking.

The stealth has it's own heap loads of problems -- reliability, build quality, customer support.

I don't think most people need more I/O. I haven't touched ethernet in years, I rarely if ever even use a single USB drive, and I never use a mouse on my laptop because the trackpad isn't crap and I'm not playing a game. I agree the I/O isn't great and I would like to see at least one USB type-C, but I also don't think most people would be seriously affected by it. 

The competitors also don't have a >1080p display, which to me is just as much of a deal breaker. So you can't please everyone.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The stealth has it's own heap loads of problems -- reliability, build quality, customer support.

I don't think most people need more I/O. I haven't touched ethernet in years, I rarely if ever even use a single USB drive, and I never use a mouse on my laptop because the trackpad isn't crap and I'm not playing a game. I agree the I/O isn't great and I would like to see at least one USB type-C, but I also don't think most people would be seriously affected by it. 

The competitors also don't have a >1080p display, which to me is just as much of a deal breaker. So you can't please everyone.  

What reliability problems does it have?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

@Dackzy can say it better than I. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Bad quality control, low-quality parts, and heat. Basically just badly engineered...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Thinking about it more, this actually fits. The enviroment on the average Uni campus is so full of entitlement and elitism I can see this underpowered fashion accessory being a big hit. 

Wow... I was joking when I said "500,000 apps, and 100,000 of them are guides and scams" but it actually looks like this is true.

This is what you get when you search for Firefox.

Spoiler

7buQQpp.thumb.png.3cffb8f97f0b286b6c8150d7270770f6.png

How can people defend this?

I like that mouse. Even when apple tries to do a minimal sleek mouse like that..... makes me want just the mouse. lol

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wow... I was joking when I said "500,000 apps, and 100,000 of them are guides and scams" but it actually looks like this is true.

This is what you get when you search for Firefox.

Hide contents

How can people defend this?

Funny... this is what I have, when I replicate your test:

Spoiler

Capture.thumb.PNG.769f240d4d8b1ae6ea3b1ffe69de1f10.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.bff9dbc098dd989ecd40f7bef831eb63.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.c221d96e4806064dc7233264abbddd00.PNG

Strange how I don't have what you have... Photoshop much?

19 minutes ago, ZackBarletto said:

I like that mouse. Even when apple tries to do a minimal sleek mouse like that..... makes me want just the mouse. lol

Well the mouse doesn't come with the system. Look at the Surface Arc Mouse.

Its a laptop mouse so it is small, and collapses flat for storage (which also turns it off).

You can also find the Microsoft non-Surface branded mouse for less. Not as nice looking (glossy plastic on button too, which might be an issue), and if I am not mistaken, it is not Bluetooth, it needs a wireless USB transceiver to be plugged into the system, but double check.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well it was not I who uploaded the image. It's from the comments on this page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11324/microsoft-announces-windows-10-s-rt-redux

As a counter argument to show why Win 10S is going to still result in epic levels of rage if made available to general consumers I've searched the Windows Store for what are probably the two most frequently downloaded free 3rd party windows applications. In both cases the application is nowhere to be found but there are dozens of for pay crapplications trying to scam the unwary out of a few bucks.

https://imgur.com/a/n3HZW

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Weird how you always jump to "you must be lying!" whenever something happens for someone but it doesn't happen for you. I thought you would have learned after getting TOLD so many times in the past.

Anyway, I don't think the other person who posted a similar screenshot appreciates being called a liar.

Or do you @hey_yo_?

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hide contents

Capture2.thumb.PNG.bff9dbc098dd989ecd40f7bef831eb63.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.c221d96e4806064dc7233264abbddd00.PNG

Filter by apps, the topic of this discussion, and you'll get the same result as @LAwLz

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Weird how you always jump to "you must be lying!" whenever something happens for someone but it doesn't happen for you. I thought you would have learned after getting TOLD so many times in the past.

Anyway, I don't think the other person who posted a similar screenshot appreciates being called a liar.

Or do you @hey_yo_?

Even worst. Shows that you just dig the web for whatever crap, instead of actually doing your own research to confirm or deny things.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Filter by apps, and I think you'll get the same result as @hey_yo_ @LAwLz

When you search it shows you all result. You can't filter.

Untitled.thumb.png.f7a82a6c098b4f8eba71a2cc7752b1fe.png

The moment I hit Enter, I jump to Home, with the results posted above. It doesn't even show in the drop down list.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

When you search it shows you all result. You can't filter.

Untitled.thumb.png.f7a82a6c098b4f8eba71a2cc7752b1fe.png

The moment I hit Enter, I jump to Home, with the results posted above.

You click search and then filter by apps. 

We're discussing apps that are available on the App Store. I don't care about what movies or music are available. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Reveal hidden contents

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Or do you @hey_yo_?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Even worst. Shows that you just dig the web for whatever crap, instead of actually doing your own research to confirm or deny things.

I just tested it for myself. I get the same results.

Search for Firefox and then click on show all apps.

I will await my formal apology for calling me a liar who photoshops things.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.8317271b0c1a559be46b9e836aba683e.PNG

Ah I see! Very well, I stand corrected. Apologies @LAwLz.

You have to dig into the store to find it.

Looks like it is 1 or 2 person that spam the store with different company names making these shit apps, They also did the Chrome app, I am noticing.

I guess it is the Steam Greenlight effect.. They should really increase the fee from 100$ to something more substantial.