Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop - aimed at students

GoodBytes
4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It will come. Windows 10 recently reached 25% market share, interest is building.

I hope so. It doesn't even have freaking Spotify.

5909e571ad999_Screenshot(65).png.472b1a956e416d9bb0c017f05537df18.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

oh another macbook clone, yay. All this is, is one less reason to bootcamp a macbook

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I hope so. It doesn't even have freaking Spotify.

Spotify announced yesterday that their app is coming to the Store :)

Sadly, no date given. But I guess they don't know how much time it will take as you have the financial side affected, and how to implement the register account through the store.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Spotify announced yesterday that their app is coming to the Store :)

Sadly, no date given. But I guess they don't know how much time it will take as you have the financial side affected, and how to implement the register account through the store.

i still don't understand UWP, as i tend to ignore it whenever possible, but am i right in thinking that there are 2 "programs" for spotify on the windows platform ? I have spotify installed as a normal good old fashioned "program" on this PC, but is there then a second "app" type spotify that runs as a UWP thing ? 

What the fuck were they thinking ? 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Come on just admit that there are some flaws/disadvantages with this Surface laptop and maybe part of the Windows 10 S eco system. No need to be too defensive about it. Not everything Microsoft farts smells nice. Accept the shortcomings, or be critical about it and hope they'll get it right on the next revision. No need to throw personal attacks etc. I'm looking for a healthy discussion about this to make decisions myself on whether or not this laptop could be suitable for a uni student like me even though I already own a MBPR and SP4. 

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But that's not their target market. They're aiming for the high end market, people looking for budget laptops can get something else. Also, lets be realistic, someone who is spending tens of thousands of dollars on college isn't going to be affected by the extra $250-$400.

But they should then suffer a streamed down OS then? If that's the logic then what's the problem with upgrading to the XPS15 for something? Still basically peanuts vs tuition fees no? Still very thin and light, packs a lot more punch, etc. That is not even getting into a macbook air which is probably their main competitor.

-------

Current Rig

-------

35 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Can't find a single a single known coding IDE. Visual studio itself isn't supported in UWP, which is kinda funny.

IT students will have to code in notepad. Or even better - on paper.

Hahaha, the irony.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wow even the search engine!

Wouldn't that piss off the EU? 

Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But they should then suffer a streamed down OS then? If that's the logic then what's the problem with upgrading to the XPS15 for something? Still basically peanuts vs tuition fees no? Still very thin and light, packs a lot more punch, etc. That is not even getting into a macbook air which is probably their main competitor.

As I've said numerous times, I don't think it should ship with Windows 10 S. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It will come. Windows 10 recently reached 25% market share, interest is building.

It will not unit a more severe bait and switch is pushed: One OS version on a handful of devices is not gonna drive devs to do UWP. The market share of Windows 10 is what it is because of their super aggressive tactics: Free upgrades, high pressure sale of said upgrades and in some cases forced updates without explicit user consent.

You seem to have forgotten how Microsoft got to their Windows 10 impressive numbers and most people have it because they had little choice but that doesn't means they'll be compelled to start using UWP or whatever it's called anytime soon. Microsoft would need to get heavy handed again by blocking all win32 applications from even running and create even more bad faith and such.

As it stands they got their wish and now they have to basically win back customers who did ended up upgrading, that's why super aggressive sales are really not worth it long term.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Microsoft is trying to be the another apple. Apple's own eco system is so great, and there is a lot of money in it.

The whole thing looks like a macbook pro replica. The product itself, its specs, its price point, its target audience, even the marketing material (look at that ad, it almost looks identical to apple's macbook pro's ad).

Apple can do this cos people won't have a choice hardware wise. Microsoft most likely won't get a huge success on this. Cos window's users biggest advantage is: price/performance ratio, a.k.a bang for the buck. And Microsoft just fucked it up on that one.

And now is personal opinion time: I think only microsoft die hard fans will use a machine like that... For similar price I would get a macbook within a heart beat... It is great hardware wise, but it still runs windows...

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

As I've said numerous times, I don't think it should ship with Windows 10 S. 

The argument was made that given their battery life goals and plausible thermal solution not limiting to S would negatively impact performance and battery. Remains to be tested though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Wow even the search engine!

Wouldn't that piss off the EU? 

After Creators Update, you can't change your default search engine within Microsoft Edge. With Chrome, you can even pick privacy oriented DuckDuck Go as your search engine.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

After Creators Update, you can't change your default search engine within Microsoft Edge. With Chrome, you can even pick privacy oriented DuckDuck Go as your search engine.

It's like they don't even want people to use their browser.....

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Yes you can. Please check yourself before posting

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

It's like they don't even want people to use their browser.....

Only if you read false information giving by people.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

So why is this soooo good for students? Can anyone actually point out a single thing this has which students in particular go "yes, this is a top priority for students and only students"?

It's not. This is for Apple people, people with a miniscule work load-

Facebook, twitter, netflix, posing at cafe

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Interest for Windows 10 is building.

Interest for UWP, not so much (at least I hope not, because I don't want that cancer to spread).

In other news, you can not change the default browser nor search engine on Windows 10S. No, you can't even change the search engine in Edge.

Maybe that should be its own thread since this thread is about the laptop...

The EU is going to have a field day if its released in that state...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Can I install Linux on it? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

29 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

i still don't understand UWP, as i tend to ignore it whenever possible, but am i right in thinking that there are 2 "programs" for spotify on the windows platform ? I have spotify installed as a normal good old fashioned "program" on this PC, but is there then a second "app" type spotify that runs as a UWP thing ? 

What the fuck were they thinking ? 

UWP is a bit complicated.  It is platform that allows software to run and adapt on any platform (if the program allows it)., running Windows 10. Windows 10 Mobile, HoloLens, Windows 10 powered desktop, laptop, tablet, etc.

But a Win32 app can be ported as UWP, and by default, you don't have the adaptability, unless your program was made in Windows Presentation Foundation, and has the ground work already done.

Anything made the UWP platform runs in a sandboxed environment, allowing a good level of security around programs protecting users. As they are packages with its own installer with certification as well, it can deployed to the store, and protect devs work from being code injected by malware/spyware/etc. and redistributed by other side, protecting the user, and company brand and product reputation (not much of an issue these days, as most people just go to the actual dev site, but still)

Read more: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes you can. Please check yourself before posting

Just to prove I have the creators update, I have the version 1703.

5909ecd6247ee_Screenshot(66).png.e06aa70d6998b4532569089623394f2a.png

I could ask you the same thing instead of accusing me of fabricating evidence.

At the settings section

Spoiler

5909edb8de107_Screenshot(71).png.a4279b9ff42649e4cbd8cb79e12e29e4.png5909edb62fd04_Screenshot(67).png.6e851edb0fc6ccc9d7bfc548fcec2923.png

At the Advanced Settings section

Spoiler

5909ee34c5fb0_Screenshot(68).png.661f263aaa2f81005337d675fef4e0c8.png5909ee01de08b_Screenshot(70).png.5e2383f15bcb006a001c8466cf2b9435.png5909edfec8ed0_Screenshot(69).png.d1fbf19f8ac11a83f0b1099c9709ed51.png

So where's the part that I can pick DuckDuck Go or Yahoo in Edge?

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

If you upgrade to Pro, you can install Virtual box and run Linux on a VM.

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Like the Surface other products, yes you can. As long as your Linux based OS supports UEFI and SecureBoot. Example: Ubuntu

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

If you upgrade to Pro, you can install Virtual box and run Linux on a VM.

Not even. You can enable Linux subsystem, and now you have a Linux (Ubuntu) running, and unlike a VM, you don't need to reserve RAM and possibly storage space for a virtual HDD, and all your data is accessible. With XMing installed (until it is not in the Store, you need to switch to Pro), you can run GUI based programs.

Bash.PNG

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Like the Surface other products, yes you can. As long as your Linux based OS supports UEFI and SecureBoot. Example: Ubuntu

you can turn off secure boot on surface devices, it just makes the splash screen a very angry and ugly shade of red :D

Home PC:

Work PC: