People becoming too sensitive on interenet

Are people being too sensitive on the internet?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Answer considering only your own opinion.

• Yes
    • No
    • It's more than that (explain by replying)

Firstly, this post is supposed to be an open discussion so anyone who doesn't agree with me are welcomed to put up their points and I'm accepting everyone's views with open mind.

Second, this may be a controversial post to be posted here, so tell me right away, I'll report it myself, and let the moderator decide.

Third, below there is mess.

As the title says, I've been seeing cases where the internet is bashing upon some people who must commonly joked about some 'questionable' stuff. 

This all obviously started with me watching Pewdiepie, way back when he made a video saying the n-word, I knew it right away after watching that there's gonna be big fights over it. And again with the Fiverr video and WSJ.

Everyone doesn't know that story so leave that aside, whenever I see anyone making a joke like on color or just saying the n-word. What I understood from almost all the cases was that we all have to admit that kids are the one who spend most time on internet. And what I'm seeing is that this newer generation is being 'too sensitive', it's like even if one YouTuber makes fun of other and both of them know it's a joke, the audience freaks out which destroys the community.

One more thing I observed how the media is easily be able to fool people by taking thing out of context or just by clickbaity title, and those people doesn't even care about doing a quick confirmation on the news and spits all over the person shown in the news.

Now me being from India doesn't obviously understand the Semitic or Racism stuffs, but here we deal with worse like untouchability, castism with racism and even Hindu v/s Muslim civil wars, which is messier than anything you could ever imagine, straight up killing masses.

But even jokes on these topics are starting to backfire here too with this newer generation thing and media being straight-up liars.

I don't know how to explain or perceive this myself, but the conclusion I wanna make is people need to chill out and be more smart in believing stuffs.

That poll has nothing to do with my above written content, just your opinion, yes or no.

-- BSOD : ( --

Well, a yes or no answer would be too simple, so thanks for adding that option.

I'm glad you mentioned the PewDiePie case, since I would argue that it goes directly against your point about sensitivity on the internet.

Yes, Google, YouTube, WSJ and advertiser have freaked the fuck out, but PewDiePie's subscribers (and the internet in general) have voiced their support for Felix.

The vast majority of people understood that the whole "kill jews" thing was a joke, a rather unfunny and off-colour joke, but a joke non the less. 

But about sensitivity in general. I've always been rather moderate on this whole thing (a white, straight male beta cuck, if you will). 

Are there people out there that need to toughen up and realize that the world doesn't revolve around them and their feelings? Yes, absolutly. 

But the people crying about their freedoms being taken away due to PC SJW snowflake feminists also need to take a chill pill. 

Truth of the matter is that both camps are making mountains out of mole hills. 

No, the alt-right is probably never going to gain any real political power and "the gays" are not going to force into marrying a dude named Kenneth.

26 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Now me being from India doesn't obviously understand the Semitic or Racism stuffs, but here we deal with worse like untouchability, castism with racism and even Hindu v/s Muslim civil wars, which is messier than anything you could ever imagine, straight up killing masses.

Not to take away from anything you're saying, but most places have had histories of civil wars and genocides (as sad as that sounds). 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

4 hours ago, Volbet said:

Not to take away from anything you're saying, but most places have had histories of civil wars and genocides (as sad as that sounds). 

Here, Hindus and Muslims would start one more right now, if you just go and blow one of the temples or mosques and somehow able to tell everyone that the other community did it. (This was done a few years ago and as obviously, was used for political advantage by the a person who was then banned in America and UK, and guess what, he's our PM now)

2 minutes ago, RocketFarmer said:

One of the by-products of the internet has been an increase in the amount of complaining in general.

Like me.. Yeah correct

First of all, I'd like to say that it's not the kids' fault, it's their parents. When you claim it's the kids, who do you think taught them to act that way? They didn't teach themselves, or else we wouldn't be giving credit to the parents when their kid does something worth being credited for.

Second of all, it's not just the internet. When you're dealing with 7 and a half billion people, there is going to be someone who wants to do everything and always get the last word. You can go anywhere and someone will get angry at you for joking about something, especially when the thing you're joking about is not socially acceptable by today's standards.

However, no matter what time period you're in, something will not be socially acceptable. Arguing over something and joking about things has always been happening, and if you think that only now people have started to get angry over that, then you'd be wrong. 

It's not just the internet, it's just people being too sensitive in general.

It's almost as if people go out of their way to be offended instead of just growing a pair and getting over it. (I bet even that offended some people)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's not clear cut at all.

Part of it, is yes, there is definitely a subset of people who will get offended by anything.

There is also a subset of people who will get offended at anything that doesn't match their narrative. These people exist on both sides of the political spectrum.

On the other hand, people say some really tasteless things sometimes, and often try to cover it up as "oh it was just a joke".

The other thing is people simply standing up against things that we used to just accept, because it used to be "okay" (Eg: physically disciplining your wife), but now we recognize as socially unacceptable.

It's a very slippery slope, on both sides of the argument. It's definitely not clear cut, and it's definitely not just "people are too sensitive" nor "but mah freedums!".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nah let people do what they want

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Yes, in this forum I got a warning :( I wasn't even trying to offend anyone :P

3 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

Which was? (I'm interested to know please:D)

5 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

Which was? (I'm interested to know please:D)

He can't openly talk about it - against the rules. The warning was between him and mods.

With that in mind, this basically reinforces that people sometimes need to stop... wait... and think for 5 seconds before speaking or writing something. You might still say it anyway, but at least you'll have thought about it first.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The Internet is still fine compared to real life discussions. There is just no way that I will discussion politics at my university here in Germany when you have different views on certain issues like refugees, Trump, Brexit, Feminists....

This is all politics, this isn't just "people are too sensitive"

It's just that most people curtail to the radical SJWs because they (SJWs) have the media on their side, and they don't want a bad rep from the media because it will ruin them.

The SJWs are doing this because they want social hegemony with their ideas and control over people.

. -------------------------------------------------------------------.        
        | [Esc] [F1][F2][F3][F4][F5][F6][F7][F8][F9][F0][F10][F11][F12] o o o|        
        |                                                                    |        
        | [`][1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][0][-][=][_<_] [I][H][U] [N][/][*][-]|        
        | [|-][Q][W][E][R][T][Y][U][I][O][P][{][}]|  | [D][E][D] [7][8][9]|+||        
        | [CAP][A][S][D][F][G][H][J][K][L][;]['][#]|_|           [4][5][6]|_||        
        | [^][\][Z][X][C][V][B][N][M][,][.][/] [__^__]    [^]    [1][2][3]| ||        
        | [c]   [a][________________________][a]   [c] [<][V][>] [ 0  ][.]|_||        
        `--------------------------------------------------------------------'       

10 minutes ago, Olli399 said:

This is all politics, this isn't just "people are too sensitive"

It's just that most people curtail to the radical SJWs because they (SJWs) have the media on their side, and they don't want a bad rep from the media because it will ruin them.

The SJWs are doing this because they want social hegemony with their ideas and control over people.

While some of what you say is true, since SJW's are basically the radical extremist left, they are definitely not the only guilty of this.

Plenty of times I see it on both sides of the spectrum - Alt Right radical extremists are often guilty of the exact same things.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

While some of what you say is true, since SJW's are basically the radical extremist left, they are definitely not the only guilty of this.

Plenty of times I see it on both sides of the spectrum - Alt Right radical extremists are often guilty of the exact same things.

While some groups are still sensitive, they don't have the mainstream media behind them. The combination is what makes them the biggest threat.

Just now, Olli399 said:

While some groups are still sensitive, they don't have the mainstream media behind them. The combination is what makes them the biggest threat.

We'll agree to disagree on the fine points there. Mainstream media hasn't totally capitulated to SJW culture yet. It also depends on the specific publication too - Buzzfeed (I personally don't consider them MSM) are heavily skewed towards SJW politics, while Fox is much more leaning towards Right wing politics (though even they seem moderate these days, compared with alt-right political journalists).

In my opinion, there definitely are a lot of things that just about anyone would find offensive, that shouldn't be said publicly. Should these people still have the right to say those things, assuming they aren't an outright hate crime inciting imminent violence? Yes of course.

But people who want to call them out on their bullshit are equally free to say what they feel, as long as they also adhere to the same constrictions.

The one main exemption (where people are concerned about thin skin, etc) is comedy - and I mean actual comedy, not someone making a one-off "joke" simply so he can say what he really feels. A stand up comedian should pretty much have free reign in terms of Free Speech.

But the same above still applies. If a comedian says a tasteless joke, and people call him out on it? That's their right, just as it's his to make the comment in the first place.

As always, it depends. It's not black and white. Some people are too insensitive, yes. Other people need to learn to think before they speak/write, etc.

6 hours ago, theninja35 said:

First of all, I'd like to say that it's not the kids' fault, it's their parents. When you claim it's the kids, who do you think taught them to act that way? They didn't teach themselves, or else we wouldn't be giving credit to the parents when their kid does something worth being credited for.

Well, technically, a lot of kids do it themselves and learn from the internet.

However, it is the parent's fault for letting them use the internet.. 

I guess responsibility is held on both sides?

correct me if im wrong...

Just now, dalekphalm said:

We'll agree to disagree on the fine points there. Mainstream media hasn't totally capitulated to SJW culture yet. It also depends on the specific publication too - Buzzfeed (I personally don't consider them MSM) are heavily skewed towards SJW politics, while Fox is much more leaning towards Right wing politics (though even they seem moderate these days, compared with alt-right political journalists).

In my opinion, there definitely are a lot of things that just about anyone would find offensive, that shouldn't be said publicly. Should these people still have the right to say those things, assuming they aren't an outright hate crime inciting imminent violence? Yes of course.

But people who want to call them out on their bullshit are equally free to say what they feel, as long as they also adhere to the same constrictions.

The one main exemption (where people are concerned about thin skin, etc) is comedy - and I mean actual comedy, not someone making a one-off "joke" simply so he can say what he really feels. A stand up comedian should pretty much have free reign in terms of Free Speech.

But the same above still applies. If a comedian says a tasteless joke, and people call him out on it? That's their right, just as it's his to make the comment in the first place.

As always, it depends. It's not black and white. Some people are too insensitive, yes. Other people need to learn to think before they speak/write, etc.

Yes, of course there will be some exceptions, but the large majority of mainstream orgs (CNN, MSNBC, BBC) are having increasingly political stances in orgs that should remain impartial (not neutral).

2 minutes ago, Olli399 said:

Yes, of course there will be some exceptions, but the large majority of mainstream orgs (CNN, MSNBC, BBC) are having increasingly political stances in orgs that should remain impartial (not neutral).

Possibly true, but it's very difficult for a big organization like that to remain impartial in the increasingly charged political climate, where the likes of InfoWars and Breitbart are becoming "accepted" news sources.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Possibly true, but it's very difficult for a big organization like that to remain impartial in the increasingly charged political climate, where the likes of InfoWars and Breitbart are becoming "accepted" news sources.

Never doubt gay frogs :^)

I think its a lot about people who cant handle that other people think differently from them and have different opinions

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Well, everyone has their own different views and boundaries on subjective things like comedy.

Like what others explained; it depends on the context, plus it is not socially correct to make offensive jokes and think that nobody would feel offended.

Other than that I feel that the amount of complaining have increased greatly. Not only the internet but out in real life. Perhaps people are just getting tired of seeing same old racist jokes over the year and just want to take an action against it. Other than that, it's just how the society is out in the world and on the internet. There's really not a whole lot of difference nowadays, except personas and or the willingness to open up on the internet, which is pretty common.

Regarding PewDiePie's video on the Nazi jokes, I found it extremely funny on how badly things turned out, but yeah at same time he felt bad about it, I did too. The thing I like about him is that he has a VERY strong connection with his audience. When he feels deeply bad about it, we start to feel a bit of that as well, and we can watch how he solves this problem and learn from his mistakes. I rather keep a man like him, than someone who throws offensive jokes out there and not care about their actions and audience.

Just now, AniJan said:

Well, everyone has their own different views and boundaries on subjective things like comedy.

The trouble is that people are trying to define what is acceptable for everybody based on their own skewed perception on right and wrong.