Microsoft still commited to Windows 10 Mobile despite what sensationalist journalists are saying

AlTech
30 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

That's why I said cops or corporations. Also, there are corporations all over the world who use third party VPN providers? Cops in my country actually use third party VPNs. 

I am confused on what you are saying. But you are aware that Windows 10 Mobile has the ability to setup a VPN within the OS. You don't need some solution to be installed on the device to have a VPN working. And yes, you can toggle VPN on/off from the action center. It works the same way as it does on Windows 10.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I am confused on what you are saying. But you are aware that Windows 10 Mobile has the ability to setup a VPN within the OS. You don't need some solution to be installed on the device to have a VPN working. And yes, you can toggle VPN on/off from the action center. It works the same way as it does on Windows 10.

wp_ss_20170405_0001.png

wp_ss_20170405_0002.png

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

New York City Police, and Hamburg, Germany police department have recently bought mass amount of Windows 10 Mobile phones for their fleet.

Since they used WP 8 they are probably heavily invested in app development for WP already, so it is not worth the switch. I doubt they moved to Windows 10 Mobile because they were happy with them and think it's a solid platform, and more to do with financial reasons such as having to redo apps and possibly heavy discounts from Microsoft.

Anyway, A handful of organisations using it is not something to write home about. I could probably find some organisation which uses BlackBerry OS as well, but that platform is as dead as Symbian.

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

If this were Google, people would be defending the CRAP out of it.

If Android had less than 1% marketshare, Googled had fairly recently fired thousands of people from their mobile division, and had sold a lot of their mobile related assets then I don't think people would have been defending Google saying "oh but it's totally fine guys! Android isn't dying at all!"

Anyone who thinks Windows Mobile is in a healthy state is lying to themselves. It's barely a rotting corpse at this point, and Microsoft seem to half-assed keep it on life support for some reason. Possibly just so that they have a backup plan for when mobile phones replace the desktop for the majority of users (already happening).

If they just abandoned the entire platform now they might struggle more if they suddenly become serious with it in the future.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If Android had less than 1% marketshare, Googled had fairly recently fired thousands of people from their mobile division, and had sold a lot of their mobile related assets then I don't think people would have been defending Google saying "oh but it's totally fine guys! Android isn't dying at all!"

Anyone who thinks Windows Mobile is in a healthy state is lying to themselves. It's barely a rotting corpse at this point, and Microsoft seem to half-assed keep it on life support for some reason. Possibly just so that they have a backup plan for when mobile phones replace the desktop for the majority of users (already happening).

If they just abandoned the entire platform now they might struggle more if they suddenly become serious with it in the future.

no, no, MS didn't fire anyone from the mobile division, it's simply that now the team behind windows 10 is also the one pushing windows 10 mobile, amiright @AluminiumTech

/s

ROFLMAO

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well New York Police used to have Windows Phone 8, they now bought Windows 10 Mobile phone and expanded the program due the success, and police officers are happy with these phone. Police department could care less about Snapchat, that i can assure you.

You mean they were forced to get Windows Phones. That's how that works.

Now while I don't know anyone in the Police department, I can tell you this.

My brother in law works at a tech company in Germany. The entire company was forced to buy Windows Phones because of their partnership with Microsoft, if they refused then Microsoft said they will end their partnership with them.

Now you can believe me or not, I honestly don't care. I just told you the way it is.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Anyone who thinks Windows Mobile is in a healthy state is lying to themselves.

I saw someone on a Windows site with such huge cognitive dissonance, they thought nobody was interested in the Galaxy S8, and that the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition would generate more interest if it ran Windows 10 Mobile instead of Android...

Fanboyism is a helluva drug. I mean, imagine being so willfully ignorant that you unironically believe the Galaxy S8 would sell better if it ran Windows 10 Mobile, an OS no consumer is interested in these days, than Android.

On 3/31/2017 at 4:13 AM, AluminiumTech said:

But seriously, stop with the sensationalist bullshit about Microsoft abandoning Windows 10 Mobile. They're not, this is only more proof of that on top of their continued support and updates to the platform.

"Hyper Demon" Build: 

Case: NZXT H440 Hyper Beast.  CPU: AMD R9 3900x (cooled by a KrakeX62).  GPU: AMD XFX RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black.  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB ram @3600mhz.  Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI hero. PSU: Corsair RM850x.  Boot drive: Samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme ssd.  Game storage: Samsung 860 evo 1TB SATA SSD.  Bulk storage: WD Black 2TB.  

On 2017-04-03 at 11:54 AM, GoodBytes said:

Let's be honest. Snapchat is a just a fad app from teen, they'll switch something else in the future. And it is was already mentioned.

I wouldn't dismiss Snapchat that easily, it's 'fad' has been going on for 5 years, and it's market penetration is only increasing every year. Currently, Snapchat is more popular than Twitter (in people ages 18-34), and has crossed 50% market penetration in those ages 18-24. https://techcrunch.com/2014/08/11/snapchat-is-now-the-3-social-app-among-millennials/

For many, I imagine not having Snapchat is a deal breaker.

Google flat out refuses to make apps for Windows 10 Mobile. They also keep interfering whenever Microsoft tries to make a kickass YouTube app themselves. They've had the API blocked on them by Google multiple times now.

Google won't make the app, but also blocks the third party Microsoft App.

I get that lack of Google integration is annoying, but getting Google to actually do it is going to be very difficult - unlike random App Devs, they don't need (or want) Microsoft's money to port the apps over to Windows 10 Mobile.

Keep in mind, Google has blocked MS from using their APIs for a good reason; violating the ToS of the API. The app that MS created didn't show ads to users, and allowed users to download videos directly to their phones, both of which Google explicitly disallows in their contracts. As far as I know, Microsoft was warned, but decided not to change their app. Can't really blame Google for blocking them IMO. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

If Blackberry made a Windows 10 phone with a keyboard, I'd probably use that. People crapping on W10 for mobile probably are the ones that crap on BB10 without having ever touched it. The sad part is, the things that get popular appeal to the huddled masses, and while Android is serviceable, there is too much fanboyism surrounding it and iOS, so better OSes never really got off the ground.

On 04/05/2017 at 3:49 AM, GoodBytes said:

That's not a usp for Windows phone though. Android and iOS both have VPN capability in the OS too.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 hours ago, divito said:

People crapping on W10 for mobile probably are the ones that crap on BB10 without having ever touched it.

Aha, but I did use Windows Phone before. My first smartphone was a HTC Windows Phone 8X, followed by a Nokia Lumia Icon when that broke. Nowadays I own a Google Pixel. Microsoft's commitment to the platform, or lack thereof, as well as constantly thinking "Oh man, this is a cool app! ...oh, iOS and Android only." and getting excited for features that were already standard on iOS and Android made me leave it.

Windows Phone's biggest problem is Microsoft. They did no research into how people used their phones (they thought people still view them as PDA-like devices, used for email, some web browsing and phone calls and don't want them to interrupt a moment, when everyone actually uses them to be social and are constantly glued to their phones), their APIs and design guidelines were too restrictive to attract developers and outside of Nokia, who now makes Android phones, they never really tried to push it to both consumers and businesses. Also, they rebooted the OS three times. Windows Phone 7 > Windows Phone 8 > Windows 10 Mobile. That just serves to alienate and confuse people.

And look at it now. Apps are leaving the platform, it has 0.38% market share and everybody is like "WTF are you doing, Microsoft?!" as they prepare to sell their own version of the Samsung Galaxy S8, an Android phone, instead of trying to get more OEMs on board. They have nobody to blame for this situation but themselves.

9 hours ago, Daring said:

Aha, but I did use Windows Phone before. My first smartphone was a HTC Windows Phone 8X, followed by a Nokia Lumia Icon when that broke. Nowadays I own a Google Pixel. Microsoft's commitment to the platform, or lack thereof, as well as constantly thinking "Oh man, this is a cool app! ...oh, iOS and Android only." and getting excited for features that were already standard on iOS and Android made me leave it.

And while that's fair to a point, Windows Phone has changed drastically at every iteration. I agree that Windows Phone has let a lot of people down in terms of software, and to some extent, hardware, but the thorough bashing is just not something I enjoy seeing as a tech enthusiast. What someone experienced one or two generations ago is fairly moot at this point, as is common in tech these days.

Every platform has positives and negatives, and just harping on something, to a fanboyish level in some cases, is not healthy for the people that don't pay attention to every release or every update, or every feature-set. It creates this mentality for people that have never even tried it, where they're parroting information they may not even know to be accurate.

I take plenty of flak for my love of Blackberry and it's BB10 operating system, but having owned phones on every platform (save for the Palm Pre), BB10 in my opinion, was the most intuitive, thought-out platform that just didn't get enough developer support. I'd still be using it if not for that gap as it's superior in my mind for usefulness and productivity. Currently I use a Priv, because I can't stand using on-screen keyboards, but the Priv is also a smart blend of some BB10 features, and a fairly stock Android experience.

Windows Phone has always had good pieces about it, and I hope they can start to bridge the gap to be a more prominent player.

2 minutes ago, divito said:

Windows Phone has always had good pieces about it, and I hope they can start to bridge the gap to be a more prominent player.

Far too late for that now. IDC, who previously predicted 20% market share for Windows Phone by 2014, now predicts it will have 0.1% market share by 2020. Based on how things are going for the platform, that's seeming extremely likely.

34 minutes ago, Daring said:

Far too late for that now. IDC, who previously predicted 20% market share for Windows Phone by 2014, now predicts it will have 0.1% market share by 2020. Based on how things are going for the platform, that's seeming extremely likely.

I still have memories of the "bad old days" several years ago where analyst groups like IDC and Gartner acted as if Microsoft dominance in any category was an inevitability, like its PC monopoly guaranteed that it would rule every category it entered for all eternity.  It never occurred to them that past performance in one field didn't guarantee success in another, or that Microsoft could ever be disrupted by a revolutionary product.

There's still a bit of that naive optimism ("PC sales will recover any year now!  Just you wait!"), but analysts tend to be more pragmatic as of late.

Here is a VERY interesting video. that is definitely worth a look.

Could it be Microsoft strategy, and hence why they have been hush hush about its phone to not have Google and Apple jump on it?

11 hours ago, divito said:

I take plenty of flak for my love of Blackberry and it's BB10 operating system, but having owned phones on every platform (save for the Palm Pre), BB10 in my opinion, was the most intuitive, thought-out platform that just didn't get enough developer support. I'd still be using it if not for that gap as it's superior in my mind for usefulness and productivity. Currently I use a Priv, because I can't stand using on-screen keyboards, but the Priv is also a smart blend of some BB10 features, and a fairly stock Android experience.

Dat gestures tho are cool. 

21 hours ago, Daring said:

And look at it now. Apps are leaving the platform, it has 0.38% market share and everybody is like "WTF are you doing, Microsoft?!" as they prepare to sell their own version of the Samsung Galaxy S8, an Android phone, instead of trying to get more OEMs on board. They have nobody to blame for this situation but themselves.

If an individual is happy with his/her iPhone or Android phone, there's simply no legit reason for that individual to switch to W10M. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside