Microsoft still commited to Windows 10 Mobile despite what sensationalist journalists are saying

AlTech
48 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

It's funny they claim the platform isn't dead while it's virtually impossible to buy one anywhere. 

They released their latest mid-range phone a year ago and their latest flagship 1.5 years ago. 

(And before someone starts talking about the HP phablet, you can't buy one in most countries worldwide.)

Well, there's gonna be the WhartonBrooks Cerulean Moment, which has nothing but extremely lofty claims about it being "the most disruptive phone since the advent of the smartphone in 2000" (it's not, it's nowhere near "disruptive" or even "innovative") backing it up. It's a product doomed before it even goes on sale, because there just isn't any interest in Windows Phone anymore.

Other than that, there's no real new hardware coming out on the Windows Phone side of things any time soon.

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

Other than that, there's no real new hardware coming out on the Windows Phone side of things any time soon.

yes there is, MS will buy Samsungs and put the Windows logo on it xD

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

yes there is, MS will buy Samsungs and put the Windows logo on it xD

If the Surface Phone ever becomes a reality, expect it to run Android :P

Actually that'd be hilarious, a Microsoft phone running Google software.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

If the Surface Phone ever becomes a reality, expect it to run Android :P

Actually that'd be hilarious, a Microsoft phone running Google software.

if you can't beat them, join them ;)

or run like hell

Just now, zMeul said:

if you can't beat them, join them ;)

or run like hell

What if the Galaxy S8 was the Surface Phone this whole time? 10580-eyes.png

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

no, it means that what they design and ship is not meeting their requirements for what they design and ship xD

it's like a restaurant owner goes across the street to eat - you know something ain't right with his services

The problem with that somewhat moronic thinking, is that if product didn't meet requirements, then Microsoft would either pull the plug, or they wpuld be seeing an inflow of competent employees and firing the worthless, dead weight.

A smart Company won't waste money if they believe something cannot be made profitable. Microsoft is one of the smartest companies out there, with far more forsight than many members of this forum, and they're still pursuing their mobile platform as it can still be a viable option.

Also, the standard restaurant owner won't eat at their own establishment anywhere near as often as you'd think, and they'd mostly do it as a publicity act: a show of good faith. They're just eating into the business' profits, even if it be by a few bucks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Daring said:

According to this, none of Microsoft's executives use Windows Phone anymore, instead using iOS and Android.

be3663efef4ecaba05ce9d337c0b56a1.png

"Commitment".

Of course, no one in his or her right mind will use Windows Phone willingly.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

A smart Company won't waste money if they believe something cannot be made profitable. Microsoft is one of the smartest companies out there, with far more forsight than many members of this forum, and they're still pursuing their mobile platform as it can still be a viable option.

MS is not a smart company

look at their Windows Mobile OS and platform - that is not oozing of intelligence

look at Windows 10, just before launch, they fired all their internal testing teams - that's not intelligent

16 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

if you open the Top Apps on android and take the first 12 apps, windows phone has 8/12 of them so where people get "there are no apps" alludes me. They aren't know offs they are made by the same developers and the android apps and sure "some" aren't quite the same I can tell you that Facebook, messenger, twitter and whats app are not.

Depends on the region, and how come you chose the top 12 and not the top 10, 20 or 25? Maybe it's because when you stop at 12 you get the highest percentage?

Don't try and fudge the numbers like that please. Also, 8 out of 12 is still not good.

Here are the top Androids apps in Sweden and whether or not they exist for Windows Mobile:

Super Mario Run - Does not exist.

Skatteverket - Does not exist.

Jula - Does not exist.

Facebook Messenger - Does exist!

BankID - Does exist! But only for Windows 10. WP8.1 was dropped so now a lot of people are unhappy.

Swish - Does exist!

Snapchat - Does not exist.

TV4 Play - Does not exist.

Skånetrafiken - Does not exist.

Spotify - Does exist!

Wish shopping - Does exist!

Chicken Scream - Does not exist.

Klarna Smoooth Payments - Does not exist

Instagram - Does exist!

Shpock boot sale - Does not exist

So now it's 6 out of 15.

But when I look at what apps I use, the number becomes even lower.

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Let's be honest. Snapchat is a just a fad app from teen, they'll switch something else in the future. And it is was already mentioned.

So? It's a popular app that many people want. I don't use it, but just going "it's just a fad" is a terrible excuse for why it should not matter. It does matter a lot, and WP will never become a widely used platform as long as it does not have all the fad apps.

Nothing kills a sale faster than the customer asking "can I use app X and Y on this phone?" and getting "no, but those apps are just fads anyway" as the answer. I have seen it happen in real life. The store person tried to push my mom to buy a Windows Phone (back in the WP 7 days) and when my mom asked if she could play Draw Something on it and got no for an answer she just went "then I don't want it".

Draw Something was a fad, but a platform that doesn't keep up with the fads ends up being a bad choice for consumers, and thus does not sell well.

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I don't think you realize how often Microsoft spends money on things that do not lead anywhere, and in the end gets axed.

Also, I think you are sadly mistaken when you think that Microsoft is smart.

If I were to picture Microsoft as a person, I'd say it's a middle aged man who recently got divorced and is now trying (and failing) to look cool and young in order to find another partner.

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Depends on the region, and how come you chose the top 12 and not the top 10, 20 or 25? Maybe it's because when you stop at 12 you get the highest percentage?

Don't try and fudge the numbers like that please. Also, 8 out of 12 is still not good.

It's not anything like that on my chrome book I was on there where 6 apps per line and the first two lines were visible. No funny business here.

I didn't take into account region here in the UK its not quite as bad. All of the apps I use and want are available on windows phone. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I didn't take into account region here in the UK its not quite as bad. All of the apps I use and want are available on windows phone. 

Good for you? But even by your own metric Windows only has 66% of the popular apps. That means that if a person has about 30 apps on their phone, 10 of them do not exist for Windows Phone. That is terrible, considering missing a single one can be a deal breaker for someone looking to buy a phone.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Good for you? But even by your own metric Windows only has 66% of the popular apps. That means that if a person has about 30 apps on their phone, 10 of them do not exist for Windows Phone. That is terrible, considering missing a single one can be a deal breaker for someone looking to buy a phone.

Seeing as it has such a small market share 65% isn't bad going. I hope it gets better as I love windows phone 10.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Seeing as it has such a small market share 65% isn't bad going. I hope it gets better as I love windows phone 10.

Don't expect it to. Windows Phone is all but dead at this point. Consumer interest has flatlined and businesses that have attempted to adopt it are now dropping it in favor of Android and iOS. Even Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone/10 Mobile, stripping all mentions of it from their literature and will be selling their own version of the Samsung Galaxy S8, an Android phone.

Despite it still getting updates, Windows 10 Mobile has no future. It's a dying species. It's time to wake up to that reality. I used to look forward to the future of Windows Phone, now I'm just waiting for Microsoft to put it out of its misery.

58 minutes ago, Daring said:

Don't expect it to. Windows Phone is all but dead at this point. Consumer interest has flatlined and businesses that have attempted to adopt it are now dropping it in favor of Android and iOS. Even Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone/10 Mobile, stripping all mentions of it from their literature and will be selling their own version of the Samsung Galaxy S8, an Android phone.

Despite it still getting updates, Windows 10 Mobile has no future. It's a dying species. It's time to wake up to that reality. I used to look forward to the future of Windows Phone, now I'm just waiting for Microsoft to put it out of its misery.

New York City Police, and Hamburg, Germany police department have recently bought mass amount of Windows 10 Mobile phones for their fleet.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

New York City Police, and Hamburg, Germany police department have recently bought mass amount of Windows 10 Mobile phones for their fleet.

But how long until they ditch it?

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

But how long until they ditch it?

Well New York Police used to have Windows Phone 8, they now bought Windows 10 Mobile phone and expanded the program due the success, and police officers are happy with these phone. Police department could care less about Snapchat, that i can assure you.

It's OK aluminium. Sweet little WP is in a better place now. 

- snip-

6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

May I introduce you to the potato phone. There's only one, and it only has one app. But by golly it's doing well for its market share! 

- snip-

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well New York Police used to have Windows Phone 8, they now bought Windows 10 Mobile phone and expanded the program due the success, and police officers are happy with these phone. Police department could care less about Snapchat, that i can assure you.

But what happens when Microsoft inevitably cuts off support? We all know it's bound to happen eventually.

Tons of salt, just tons of it. 

Spoiler

Image result for mortons salt

If this were Google, people would be defending the CRAP out of it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think cops or corporations will continue to deploy W10M phones if it doesn't even have the features critical to security or apps they need. How many banking apps does W10M have? How many top rated VPN providers support W10M? How many business class applications are available for W10M? 

But hey, at least Windows Hello remains fool proof unlike the one in GS8. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

18 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't think cops or corporations will continue to deploy W10M phones if it doesn't even have the features critical to security or apps they need. How many banking apps does W10M have? How many top rated VPN providers support W10M? How many business class applications are available for W10M? 

But hey, at least Windows Hello remains fool proof unlike the one in GS8. ?

What does a work phone for the NYPD need banking apps and VPN provider support for?

It has support to connect to any of the industry standard VPN protocols, and any VPN access would be provided in-house, not by some VPN provider like Tunnelbear.

I could get behind your argument if you were talking about a working professional's personal device, not a work issued phone for a cop or firefighter.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What does a work phone for the NYPD need banking apps and VPN provider support for?

It has support to connect to any of the industry standard VPN protocols, and any VPN access would be provided in-house, not by some VPN provider like Tunnelbear.

I could get behind your argument if you were talking about a working professional's personal device, not a work issued phone for a cop or firefighter.

That's why I said cops or corporations. Also, there are corporations all over the world who use third party VPN providers? Cops in my country actually use third party VPNs. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

That's why I said cops or corporations. Also, there are corporations all over the world who use third party VPN providers? Cops in my country actually use third party VPNs. 

Sources needed.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Your post is still confusing.

You said cops or corps, then you go on to name features that cops or corps won't likely value, like banking apps and third party VPN providers.

What would the cops in your country need third party VPN's for? That makes no sense at all.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)