Windows 10 Creators Update – Here is everything you need to know - Out now

GoodBytes
7 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Which is still totally unnecessary... 9_9 There isnt that much of a difference between the two win10 versions.

There is a large difference actually. You might not be aware of the difference but there are differences.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed, drives can be formatted as ReFS, but the web says it was already available since Win8. Don't remember seeing that in Win8.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 2017. 04. 13. at 3:19 AM, AluminiumTech said:

There is a large difference actually. You might not be aware of the difference but there are differences.

Dont think so, btw that still doesnt justify the reset of existing registry keys, period.

@NumLock21

Its just another proprietary junk from MS, nothing to see there.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I just noticed, drives can be formatted as ReFS, but the web says it was already available since Win8. Don't remember seeing that in Win8.

Is that with Storage Spaces or just straight formatting them?

Windows 8.0+ it was available in Storage Spaces, but in Windows 10 it got kinda deactivated for a bit.

53 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Is that with Storage Spaces or just straight formatting them?

Windows 8.0+ it was available in Storage Spaces, but in Windows 10 it got kinda deactivated for a bit.

Just straight format on a HDD or SSD.

right click on one of your drives and select format, in the format type you can select ReFS

Capture.PNG.281411a4aed1bc6012f47e81edc16a0a.PNG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Has this been released yet ? I havent received the update.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

8 minutes ago, Thony said:

Has this been released yet ? I havent received the update.

Yes.

Microsoft released it as manual request to upgrade to it. Meaning voluntary. In Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Updates, you have a blue link to click on to get it. Now it is officially released, and is distributed in waves. You can still force get it by the provided link. But if you want to wait for your wave, it can take several weeks, to a months or so. Sorry I can't post a screenshot of the link, as I already upgraded to it.

If you have the Enterprise edition of Windows 10, the Creator Update will be released in May, if I am not mistaken.

39 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Just straight format on a HDD or SSD.

right click on one of your drives and select format, in the format type you can select ReFS

Not really sure if using ReFS is a good idea at the moment, since it appears to have some hiccups and it seems more or less designed for server data storage rather than personal computer day-to-day use.

Still haven't gotten this update oddly enough

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

52 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Still haven't gotten this update oddly enough

I "had" the update over a week ago, but something went wrong with it (tried installing twice, but no luck), and I had to clear out my windows update. I haven't been prompted again. It's like it disappeared altogether, going from; here, have this update to; update, what update?

45 minutes ago, outercry said:

I "had" the update over a week ago, but something went wrong with it (tried installing twice, but no luck), and I had to clear out my windows update. I haven't been prompted again. It's like it disappeared altogether, going from; here, have this update to; update, what update?

You can get the Media Creation tool, and upgrade Windows 10 Creators Update

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You can get the Media Creation tool, and upgrade Windows 10 Creators Update

Thanks for that, I already knew about it, and not totally fussed not having the update yet anyway, seeing all the problems people have had with it. I will try getting at some point, but not in a rush like said.

The way Microsoft releases waves, is a bit complex. There is no actual information, but it is a mixture of small group going bigger and system specs and drivers version to minimize the chances of failed upgrade. So if you want to maximize your change of a successful upgrade/no issue, then you better wait for your wave. But that can take months. If you have some free time, and tech savvy enougth to debug problem or revert back or be ready to clean install your system. Then you can force upgrade to it.

On 4/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sniperfox47 said:

You *should* have to provide basic telemetry back to your OS developer so that they can troubleshoot issues that relate to your Hardware  and Software configurations, because it may improve things not just for you but for other users who use that hardware/software. If they don't know that you have "Aero Glass for Windows 8.1+" installed, how are they supposed to identify some random crash that's happening because it's injecting something fucked up into their DWM code?

How about MS stop being a bunch of greedy bastards and hire back their Windows testing team. They did a bang up job, as I dont remember there being too many instances when updates fucked up so many computers. 

I mean look, they had a whole team that would validate updates. But no that is too god damned easy. Now they want to let the "community" try out the updates and not do the validation. Im sorry, but when you have to pay $119 for a fucking piece of software you expect it to be professionally tested. I can understand letting the Linux community test updates and such because its free, but not professional software. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It caused issues with my video editing and capturing software after the "update".  Yes, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programs to no avail - they would not run at all.  Once I rolled back the "update", they ran perfectly again.  Methinks this update needs more time in the oven to bake.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Either I'm retarded at installing windows or this creators update has problems.

This is on a clean install of the creators update os.

1. When splitting the drive into 2 partitons and formatted during setup. After installation is complete, the 2nd partiton will not show up in This PC (My Computer). Going into disk management, it will say the 2nd partition is RAW and has no drive letter. 
  2. Adding additional items to the startbar besides the default settings icon won't work. When the other items are enabled, it does not show up, going back shows it's disabled.
  3. By default, hdd is name "Local Disk" under This PC (My Computer). When it's named something else and want to go back to the default name. It has to be manually type in. All previous previous version of the builds, automatically changes hdd to its default name when it left blank. 
  4. The traditional control panel is now missing from the alternative start menu (win+x). To access it, users must enable it on their desktop, from the desktop customization menu. The other way is to type it in a address bar or run button.
  5. Command Prompt has now been replaced with PowerShell. This can be changed in the task bar settings.
  6. There is always a defaultuser0 even for clean install.
  7. After installation is complete, the customization section fails its attempt at being professional. Instead it feels like it's talking to pre-school children. 

Did clean install for the 4th time already. On both dvd and usb. It's the same everytime.  Will install again to see if there are any changes.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

35 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Either I'm retarded at installing windows or this creators update has problems.

This is on a clean install of the creators update os.

You are retarded :P

j/k

1. When splitting the drive into 2 partitons and formatted during setup. After installation is complete, the 2nd partiton will not show up in This PC (My Computer). Going into disk management, it will say the 2nd partition is RAW and has no drive letter. 

Normal. You created the second partition, but you didn't initialize it. It needs to be initialized, formatted, and set a drive letter. In the setup of Windows 10, you just needed to hit format button (well, select the right partition before, of course), and it would do all that for you. You can use the Disk Management tool under Windows to do it as well.

1. Adding additional items to the startbar besides the default settings icon won't work. When the other items are enabled, it does not show up, going back shows it's disabled.

Start bar ?!?

1. By default, hdd is name "Local Disk" under This PC (My Computer). When it's named something else and want to go back to the default name. It has to be manually type in. All previous previous version of the builds, automatically changes hdd to its default name when it left blank. 

Nope. Just tested. The HDD/SSD doesn't have a default name. It is Windows that puts "Local Disk" for you, just to put a name for you. Drive/Partition letters and Drive/partition names is a Windows thing. It doesn't actually exists on the back-end, and any other non-Windows OS will not show them. It was designed to be easy for YOU to understand the layout of your data. It does blur the line between drives and partitions, but that is the idea.

1. The traditional control panel is now missing from the alternative start menu (win+x). To access it, users must enable it on their desktop, from the desktop customization menu. The other way is to type it in a address bar or run button.

Yup, it is getting closer and closer of being cut out. In Creators Update, even more options where moved to Settings panel. And now, officially, Settings panel has many options that the Control Panel doesn't have. Control Panel is reaching its end... I think and expect that it will be the cut by next year, I estimate. (It might remain there for Java, Flash and other programs option panel.. but it will probably be empty). We will see.

1. Command Prompt has now been replaced with PowerShell. This can be changed in the task bar settings.

Yup. PowerShell can do everything Command Prompt can, and more. So, why hide PowerShell? PowerShell is preferred by IT, and many power user, in any case

1. There is always a defaultuser0 even for clean install.

Specially designed to bug you. :)

1. After installation is complete, the customization section fails its attempt at being professional. Instead it feels like it's talking to pre-school children. 

You mean the OOBE? It is meant to be friendly and welcoming. Not boring, super utilitarian thing as before. Hence the change.

14 hours ago, MidnightBanshi said:

It caused issues with my video editing and capturing software after the "update".  Yes, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programs to no avail - they would not run at all.  Once I rolled back the "update", they ran perfectly again.  Methinks this update needs more time in the oven to bake.

There has been some news rolling around the last day or so about MS advising people to not try manually updating.  Seems like there are some known bugs they are working on and are freezing updates to PCs that would encounter those bugs until they have it fixed.  Biggest issue appears to be with computers that have Broadcom radios installed for WiFi and Bluetooth.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-advises-against-manually-installing-windows-10-creators-update/

41 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You are retarded :P

j/k

100.1% agree xD:P

Normal. You created the second partition, but you didn't initialize it. It needs to be initialized, formatted, and set a drive letter. In the setup of Windows 10, you just needed to hit format button (well, select the right partition before, of course), and it would do all that for you. You can use the Disk Management tool under Windows to do it as well.

Under windows setup, I select the 2nd partiton and did format it. Window is suppose to automatically assign a drive letter. 

Start bar ?!?

I meant start menu, the settings gear icon on the left.

Nope. Just tested. The HDD/SSD doesn't have a default name. It is Windows that puts "Local Disk" for you, just to put a name for you. Drive/Partition letters and Drive/partition names is a Windows thing. It doesn't actually exists on the back-end, and any other non-Windows OS will not show them. It was designed to be easy for YOU to understand the layout of your data. It does blur the line between drives and partitions, but that is the idea.

1. Rename one of your drives.

2. Rename the same drive again and this time delete the name so that it's blank

3. Press enter. As you can see it does not work. You will have to manually type in "Local Disk", where all previous build will automatically rename to the default name, if name is left blank.

Yup, it is getting closer and closer of being cut out. In Creators Update, even more options where moved to Settings panel. And now, officially, Settings panel has many options that the Control Panel doesn't have. Control Panel is reaching its end... I think and expect that it will be the cut by next year, I estimate. (It might remain there for Java, Flash and other programs option panel.. but it will probably be empty). We will see.

There are some functions the new settings don't have and control panel still does, like changing default display language other than the English. What's weird was, I remember build 1607 lets me change the default display language under the new settings panel, but for this 1703 build. I have to do it under the old control panel.

Yup. PowerShell can do everything Command Prompt can, and more. So, why hide PowerShell? PowerShell is preferred by IT, and many power user, in any case

Dafuq is this newbie hipster powershell?!

Long live Command Prompt!!!11!!1

:P

Specially designed to bug you. :)

I must be special. :D

You mean the OOBE? It is meant to be friendly and welcoming. Not boring, super utilitarian thing as before. Hence the change.

Apple did it right and so did Windows XP. This on the other hand, I never understand the true meaning of cringe, until now.

xD

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I forgot to mention this new feature.

Microsoft has added support for spacial sound codecs. 3 are provided:

• Windows Sonic for Headphone (Microsoft own thing)
  • Dobly Atmos for headphones
  • Dobly Atmos for home theater (this option might not be available depending on your setup)

You can pick which mode you want (or turn it off), under: Start > type: Sound > Pick Sound > go to the Playback tab, double click on your sound source > Go to "Spacial sound" tab)

Dobly Atmos is NOT FREE. Microsoft is not including the codec for it. The OS supports it, but doesn't include the codec. There is a 30-day trial of the codec, with a demo app available (this will launch when you pick any of the 2 Dobly Atmos options). The codec is $15.

Image2.png.eb8d43605f19af11ca56c6fa99c5e53f.png

Here is a nice video on Dobly Atmos