Windows 10 Creators Update – Here is everything you need to know - Out now

GoodBytes
10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Update

Microsoft said that Windows 10 Creators Update will NOT be released in March, and the official release date target is April 11.

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-creators-update-microsoft-announces-rollout-will-begin-on-april-11

It would seem that Microsoft is fixing some final kinks in the update, and that the version number will have a decimal point: 15063.x

Good that they are taking their time, and make sure everything is right, and not rush to meet a deadline, and cause issues to many users.

You know what else ends on April 11th?

Windows Vista SP2 Extended Support :D.

giphy.gif.3aa78f7c3b7d3571139a2531f8aa0a4e.gif

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Update

Microsoft said that Windows 10 Creators Update will NOT be released in March, and the official release date target is April 11.

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-creators-update-microsoft-announces-rollout-will-begin-on-april-11

It would seem that Microsoft is fixing some final kinks in the update, and that the version number will have a decimal point: 15063.x

Good that they are taking their time, and make sure everything is right, and not rush to meet a deadline, and cause issues to many users.

But... but... but... 1703!?!!

Just now, GoodBytes said:

The version is a lie!

I guess I don't mind waiting an extra 2 weeks. As long as I'm not baked *shiver*

They didn't remove Telemetry.

Into the trash it goes.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

9 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

They didn't remove Telemetry.

Into the trash it goes.

Unplug from the internet then, mate.

im ready for windows 10 to not be compatible with my 

• mouse
  • keyboard
  • cpu
  • gpu
  • ram
  • motherboard
  • ssd
  • monitors
  • webcam
  • microphone
  • 3.5mm audio output
  • privacy

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So basically, Defender got a little better, the awful, redundant Settings app got more junk it didn't need, Edge is marginally better and DPI scaling is maybe better. Everything else seems very minor, and not much to really care about. I don't care that you separated my start menu, Cortana never has been and likely never will be available in NZ, I don't use UWP, I've never once been interrupted by an update and Game Mode won't do anything for me...

Great job Microsoft, a whole bunch of junk and very few meaningful additions. A proper UI redesign would be nice, Windows is seriously ugly these days. At least Bash is pretty useful, only because I actually know how to use it.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Pretty good set of updates though.

Unified settings would be great, merge Control Panel entirely with Settings, also File Explorer dark theme would be awesome to have.

As far as Themes would be amazing if it's like a visual styles supported too, you know such detailed customization etc.

Wish to see how improved Game Mode will be with time. It's a neat feature and good it's there.

Windows update... updates are improved too, so that's good.

Agree with you about the settings, either put it all in settings, or remove the damn app. There's no need to have things duplicated across them, especially when I invariably get dumped into Settings when I wanted ctrl panel and then can't do anything useful.

For themes, I'm hoping it's more than just accent colour, desktop background and screen saver. I'd love to see ways to actually change the visual style across the OS.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

So I looked through this whole thread and nobody has asked the most important question.

Is this going to reset all of my default applications and file associations when I do the update?

I'm not too thrilled about the idea of playing the role of free tech support for everyone in my family when pdf files start opening in Edge again...

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

So I looked through this whole thread and nobody has asked the most important question.

Is this going to reset all of my default applications and file associations when I do the update?

I'm not too thrilled about the idea of playing the role of free tech support for everyone in my family when pdf files start opening in Edge again...

I'm pretty sure the update that corrected that was in the insider builds about a month after the anniversary patch. So this update should reset it one last time, but all future upgrades will be more selective of how they mess with the registry.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

I'm pretty sure the update that corrected that was in the insider builds about a month after the anniversary patch. So this update should reset it one last time, but all future upgrades will be more selective of how they mess with the registry.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, well guess I better get everyone setup with teamviewer now so when this thing rolls out I can fix everything again...

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, well guess I better get everyone setup with teamviewer now so when this thing rolls out I can fix everything again...

On the plus side the fix also simultaneously fixed the Windows Store reinstalling all the apps you've installed and later uninstalled after every upgrade, so this should also be the last time they have the Windows store download the 300 free apps that they tried for 2 minutes before uninstalling.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

On the plus side the fix also simultaneously fixed the Windows Store reinstalling all the apps you've installed and later uninstalled after every upgrade, so this should also be the last time they have the Windows store download the 300 free apps that they tried for 2 minutes before uninstalling.

This is true. Hopefully MS finally has their shit together this time xD

I might actually go for this update on my laptop. I just hope that the anti-spyware tools will get updated pretty soon to follow up with it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

On 3/28/2017 at 10:37 AM, BachChain said:

Because 30+ Svchosts is much easier to read than 15 I already have

I am rather looking forward to that. On my 800kbit internet it would be nice to see which process is completely saturating my bandwidth

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Unplug from the internet then, mate.

It's called a joke....

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

of curse it will, don't you have a powershell script ready to launch after every windows update at this point?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

So basically, Defender got a little better, the awful, redundant Settings app got more junk it didn't need, Edge is marginally better and DPI scaling is maybe better. Everything else seems very minor, and not much to really care about. I don't care that you separated my start menu, Cortana never has been and likely never will be available in NZ, I don't use UWP, I've never once been interrupted by an update and Game Mode won't do anything for me...

Great job Microsoft, a whole bunch of junk and very few meaningful additions. A proper UI redesign would be nice, Windows is seriously ugly these days. At least Bash is pretty useful, only because I actually know how to use it.

Game Mode will be useful.

Edge improvements are highly welcomed, improvements to OOBE, Cortana etc are highly welcomed.

Windows 10 re-design might come out by End of 2017.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Agree with you about the settings, either put it all in settings, or remove the damn app. There's no need to have things duplicated across them, especially when I invariably get dumped into Settings when I wanted ctrl panel and then can't do anything useful.

For themes, I'm hoping it's more than just accent colour, desktop background and screen saver. I'd love to see ways to actually change the visual style across the OS.

I didn't mention it, but more settings got moved from the Control Panel to the Settings panel. At this point, you should never/rarely need to touch the old Control Panel. Control Panel has been removed from the "power menu" (Win+X), replaced with Settings as well.

8 hours ago, imreloadin said:

So hang on, your app defaults only reset after a major update? Your lucky, my app defaults reset pretty much once a week and seemingly for no reason. I've been pretty lucky in that I've not encountered a lot of the issues others have had with Win 10 but the default apps resetting is the bane of my life.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So hang on, your app defaults only reset after a major update? Your lucky, my app defaults reset pretty much once a week and seemingly for no reason. I've been pretty lucky in that I've not encountered a lot of the issues others have had with Win 10 but the default apps resetting is the bane of my life.

That's fixed too. The only time Windows will reset to default a file association, now, is if your registry for that item got corrupted, or not properly registered by a software that doesn't follow Microsoft documentation. This usually affect Windows XP and older code, as how the file association system is made has been changed since Windows Vista.

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

of curse it will, don't you have a powershell script ready to launch after every windows update at this point?

Scripting isn't my strong point so sadly this is not the case :/

Really looking forward to it, could do with getting it done today as I've got to be swotting up over the next two weeks for my car theory test.

Possible to grab it using the Insider Slow Ring?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

38 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Really looking forward to it, could do with getting it done today as I've got to be swotting up over the next two weeks for my car theory test.

Possible to grab it using the Insider Slow Ring?

Yup. Also, if you really can't wait for joining in the insider ring (may take up to 24h), the ISO (Insider Preview) file is already out. But be aware that if you go in the Insider Preview, you'll need to clean install to get out.

ISO Insider Preview - Build 15063: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced?tduid=(b5dffe3a8c7f2c4aaf5d2bef8450ac4d)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU47396)()