Windows 10 Creators Update – Here is everything you need to know - Out now

GoodBytes
4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Anything that is made using UWP is GPU rendered. Every version of Windows, since Vista, Microsoft is switching more and more things from CPU rendered to GPU rendered.

except the Start Menu was empty, I didn't said it didn't rendered - the system shortcuts were there and functional

Windows Defender opened just fine, for me to disable it ;)

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except the Start Menu was empty, I didn't said it didn't rendered - the system shortcuts were there and functional

Windows Defender opened just fine, for me to disable it ;)

Yea yea. Well, what is happening is now it tries to render everything it can on the GPU (in your case: generic drivers, or broken Nvidia drivers), and anything it fails to render, it reverts to CPU drawing, with the goal to get you the most visible start menu. Remember the issue with the Start menu not appearing in Windows 10 at release? this is was GPU rendered only. So if there was a driver bug (which was the case for many), or missing drivers, that Start button would do nothing.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea yea. Well, what is happening is now it tries to render everything it can on the GPU (in your case: generic drivers, or broken Nvidia drivers), and anything it fails to render, it reverts to CPU drawing, with the goal to get you the most visible start menu. Remember the issue with the Start menu not appearing in Windows 10 at release? this is was GPU rendered only. So if there was a driver bug (which was the case for many), or missing drivers, that Start button would do nothing.

again you fail to read

the Start Menu loaded with all the system icons in place and functional, what it would not load would be the programs list

is Windows Defender UWP? yes it is, did it load just fine, yes it did

is Task Manager UWP? same as above

even System Settings was completely functional

I have seen the original issue with the Start Menu and this was not it

---

1st thing I did after seeing that D3D error was to check Device Manager and the video drivers were loaded correctly, for both iGPU and dGPU

2nd thing I did was to check if NVCP loaded and recognized the video card - no issues there

3rd thing I did was to do a SFC /scannow - no issues reported

4rd thing was to nuke the drivers and install fresh

ps: look at how @tonyeezy fixed it, below

Edited by zMeul

Updated earlier with the tool. The update broke my start menu button, notification center, and other Windows icons in the task bar. I ran a command in Powershell that I found on YouTube and it seemed to fix the issue. (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"})

One thing I have noticed is the bottom row of icons above my task bar seem a bit higher than they used to be, did this change or is it just me?

Everything else aside from the broken start menu has been fine thus far.

There's some new update settings too. Might just be for pro, but am unsure:

LI66Sdp.png

You can defer feature updates for 365 days and security updates for 30 days.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Updated my main rig this morning, everything went perfectly for me with a 1070. All in all it took around 25 minutes which included download time on my 40Mbps connection.

Few things, first off the installer did run scan disk during the second phase and scan disk went ahead and deleted GRUB-EFI from my hard drive. Took me about 5 mins to replace it but its worth mentioning for anyone with a dual boot.

Second it reinstalled all the UWP apps I removed, reset all my app permissions and added windows mail to my taskbar (even though I have Outlook installed).

Looks like MS is still up to their usual tricks.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

31 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Second it reinstalled all the UWP apps I removed, reset all my app permissions and added windows mail to my taskbar (even though I have Outlook installed).

Reinstalling UWP apps will not happen in future releases, Windows Update now tracks what you uninstall and keeps it uninstalled. 

App permissions were likely reset due to the new privacy settings you select after installation, although my app defaults were retained. Windows mail being pinned to the taskbar was odd though. 

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

13 hours ago, kameshss said:

I believe the latest Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will now give you the Windows 10 Creators Update capability and ISO too.

Get it here https://goo.gl/hbcYQM

Version of that tool got updated from 14393 to 15063. So, it should give you the latest one.

Can confirm. I'm on creator's update using this method.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

update on the laptop: everything looked normal last night, but this morning I discovered the video drivers for the dGPU were borked similarly to my desktop, but the Start Menu was actually functioning properly

had to install the dGPU drivers; the Intel iGPU drivers were functioning properly

4 hours ago, tonyeezy said:

Updated earlier with the tool. The update broke my start menu button, notification center, and other Windows icons in the task bar. I ran a command in Powershell that I found on YouTube and it seemed to fix the issue. (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"})

One thing I have noticed is the bottom row of icons above my task bar seem a bit higher than they used to be, did this change or is it just me?

Everything else aside from the broken start menu has been fine thus far.

Thank you, that fix it for me.

HOLY FREAKING SHIT MICROSOFT, IF I FIND OUT YOU'VE INSTALLED FLASH PLAYER ONTO MY PC WITHOUT TELLING ME I WILL DROP YOUR DOGSHIT OS AND MOVE TO LINUX FULL TIME SO HELP ME FUCKING GOD!!!!!

I don't have Flash on my computer, haven't had it on for years (literally not since I was running Windows 7) and never really noticed it was missing.

Just opened the control panel (after looking through the settings page) to see if there was anything new and I saw

58e615e021be2_controlpanel.thumb.PNG.98397ef0430a67ff7617a23e93fde404.PNG

Installed Apps does not show Flash Player as being installed so I cannot remove it

58e615e311b78_programsandfeatures.thumb.PNG.d3eee5a3eedcd0859663aa7b0fdd7742.PNG

Decided to run an install test on my main browser (Firefox)

firefox.thumb.PNG.ec8b9782503984483ed09a4c75fd4052.PNG

Then decided to run a test on Edge

edge.thumb.PNG.8ffb3256d9c884fd76cbc2c84bb0ec89.PNG

That's it for me now as far as Windows is concerned, I'm done with it. I have been using Ubuntu for the last few months as a second OS, I think its time to make to switch permanently. I will not have you installing stuff on my PC that I have no say in, is full of security vulnerabilities, I don't want and cannot remove.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Downloaded the ISO of the creator update directly from microsoft(if you use a "mobile device"(or extension to make Microsoft think you're on mobile), you can download an ISO straight from them instead of having to go through the media creation tool), will be installing it this afternoon after work... Reading the comments above make me think microsoft may have screwed up a thing or two with it.

But eh... I literally have to format my PC anyway so I may as well upgrade, because I have a few issues, like not being able to connect my phone to my PC anymore after Microsoft's failed WPD driver update last time that I was one of the lucky few who installed it.

None of the fixes work for me. It did at first, then a few days later the issue crawled back up from the depth of hell and it somehow got rid of all my good drivers, leaving me with the broken one that I had previously deleted to fix the issue...

Not even their troubleshooting tool can fix it, it knows that particular "Emerging issue 108018" is happening on my PC but cannot fix it. So f*ck it and I'll just format. Big updates usually screw up a lot of stuff anyway so might as well start fresh,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Downloaded the ISO of the creator update directly from microsoft(if you use a "mobile device"(or extension to make Microsoft think you're on mobile), you can download an ISO straight from them instead of having to go through the media creation tool), will be installing it this afternoon after work... Reading the comments above make me think microsoft may have screwed up a thing or two with it.

But eh... I literally have to format my PC anyway, because I have a few issues, like not being able to connect my phone to my PC anymore after Microsoft's failed WPD driver update last time that I was one of the lucky few who installed it.

None of the fixes work for me. It did at first, then a few days later the issue crawled back up from the depth of hell and it somehow got rid of all my good drivers, leaving me with the broken one that I had previously deleted to fix the issue...

Not even their troubleshooting tool can fix it, it knows that particular "Emerging issue 108018" is happening on my PC but cannot fix it. So f*ck it and I'll just format. Big updates usually screw up a lot of stuff anyway so might as well start fresh,

See my post above yours and be warned, the creators update will install flash player on to your PC without telling you and not even list it as an installed app.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Looks like MS is still up to their usual tricks.

The issue is fixed from now. They fixed it about a month after the Anniversary Update was released if you were an Insider... the problem is.. well, you had to have the build. So, if you were an Insider, from that point on, any weekly releases would not longer re-install the apps, and have your default apps reset, including permissions. So in other words, it should be the last time you encounter the problem.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Nope. The issue is fixed from now.

Don't care, it installed Flash onto my PC in full stealth mode. It doesn't even have a folder in Program files with an uninstaller.

As of now Windows has just became my second OS and Ubuntu my first.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Don't care, it installed Flash onto my PC in full stealth mode. It doesn't even have a folder in Program files with an uninstaller.

As of now Windows has just became my second OS and Ubuntu my first.

Windows Setup goes through the list of installed app, and re-install them. Flash was already installed on your system before. My guess, is that you deleted the entry from Program & Features and not uninstalled it, or it was missed uninstalled (wont' surprise me, it is an Adobe software after all), so the setup was still there, and Windows re-executed it.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows Setup goes through the list of installed app, and re-install them. Flash was already installed on your system before. My guess, is that you deleted the entry from Program & Features and not uninstalled it, or it was missed uninstalled (wont' surprise me, it is an Adobe software after all), so the setup was still there, and Windows re-executed it.

Nope, see my post. It literally says "Flash was preinstalled for edge by Windows 10" and I haven't had flash on my PC since I was running Windows 7.

The creators upate installed it, didn't tell me about it, hid it from me and has given me no way of removing it. Either that or its been there since I first switched to 10 and has just been entirely hidden from me until now which is no better.

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, see my post. It literally says "Flash was preinstalled for edge by Windows 10" and I haven't had flash on my PC since I was running Windows 7.

The creators upate installed it, didn't tell me about it, hid it from me and has given me no way of removing it. Either that or its been there since I first switched to 10 and has just been entirely hidden from me until now which is no better.

Now I see your screenshots loads... strange... Anyway Now I get what you are saying.

That is not installed. That is Flash being included in Edge.. like Chrome. Was already there. In fact, Flash came with Edge since day 1. Making up problems when there is none I see.... Are you trying to find justification to switch OS? Just switch already... no one here  cares that "Windows is your second OS". It is your PC, you do what you want.

54 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

HOLY FREAKING SHIT MICROSOFT, IF I FIND OUT YOU'VE INSTALLED FLASH PLAYER ONTO MY PC WITHOUT TELLING ME I WILL DROP YOUR DOGSHIT OS AND MOVE TO LINUX FULL TIME SO HELP ME FUCKING GOD!!!!!

--snip--

Calm down you are coming back to windows anyway after your drivers wont work on linux.

FYI i cant even install any linux because the idiotic linux susbsytem cant detect my monitor during installation, from DVI to VGA and it sets 85hz 1280x1024 on a 1360x768 60hz screen its so stupid its not even worth my time.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is not installed. That is Flash being included in Edge.. like Chrome. Was already there. Making up problems when there is none

?????

It says it was perinstalled on the Adobe test page and I have the flash player icon in my control panel. Flash player is installed on my PC.

How about for once you stop defending MS for doing really shady shit.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

?????

It says it was perinstalled on the Adobe test page and I have the flash player icon in my control panel. Flash player is installed on my PC.

Yes.... 'cause it is included in Edge....  You need to access Flash setting panel... so it is normal that you have the panel. Edge support 1 plugin and only 1 plugin alone... Flash... for now. All web browsers marked Flash and plugins support a kill date. After that date, Chrome, and Firefox will no longer support plugins starting from future versions. Meaning, Flash can't be installed, and won't be included (well in Chrome and Edge).

So far, under Creators Update, Edge set Flash to be at a: click to run basis on non trusted sites. Meaning it won't load it, unless you click on area where Flash plugin should load. This is a transition phase to kill the plugin.

Every web browser wants to kill Flash right now, as Adobe is not fixing security updates. Also, they want to kill plugin support due the serious security flaws  due exploits that each web browser has through it, and for genuine plugins, like Flash, has security issues. (Edge is the first web browser to not have plugin support, beside the pre-included and forced auto-updated: Flash plugin. Not even Microsoft very own Silverlight is support). In the transition stages of removing Flash support, and push web sites update their site to HTML5, Edge set Flash as Click-to-run, to avoid any exploits on pages (invisible Flash load on page to trigger a security issue, or compromised ad that passed through ad agency validation process, or compromised site, etc.)

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Now I see your screenshots loads... strange... Anyway Now I get what you are saying.

That is not installed. That is Flash being included in Edge.. like Chrome. Was already there. In fact, Flash came with Edge since day 1. Making up problems when there is none I see.... Are you trying to find justification to switch OS? Just switch already... no one here  cares that "Windows is your second OS". It is your PC, you do what you want.

So why did I not have the flash player icon in CP until the creators update installed this morning?

@GoodBytes What would you say for those who want something stable? Should I wait for a few updates of Creators or I should be getting it right now?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So why did I not have the flash player icon in CP until the creators update installed this morning?

I don't know.. was supposed to be there. Did you do something to remove it before? Was is a bug and missing the Control Panel entry, that you are supposed to have to be able to manage local storage Camera/Mic, and clear video DRM licensing acquired licenses for transfer of system? Maybe...

3 minutes ago, 3vitor said:

@GoodBytes What would you say for those who want something stable? Should I wait for a few updates of Creators or I should be getting it right now?

I would recommend to wait at minimum after April 11 for the official release. In the insider Fast ring side, we (Insiders), are on Build 15063.14, I think the official release is on 15063.11. More update might come to fix discovered issues in this build, and fix update process issues as they are reported.