Nintendo may be working on a 4K ready (GTX1060) addon for the Switch

Master Disaster

Just like the add ons for some laptops? I can see it. Though I'm not sure how Nintendo is gonna market it to their audience. But eh, whateva. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

11 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If that is true, the switch will be on par with the Xbox Scorpio! 

Assuming the assumption that the Switch can do 1.5TFLOPs, both GPUs can be used in tangent (like SLI), it scales perfectly, and optimization on the Switch is at the same level, or better, than Scorpio.

If any ONE of those things isn't true, then Scorpio has an advantage is the Graphics department, as it is set to pull 6TFLOPs.

Of course, this is assuming that the Switch will be the same steaming pile of shit that the WiiU was, as far as games are concerned.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Oh, keep in mind guys.. RAM limitations of the system. It  probably has 4GB. I doubt you can expand RAM via Thunderbolt.

I doubt the Switch will have 8GB of RAM.

17 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Ugh. The only thing worse than Ryzen speculation is Nintendo speculation

I hear that there will be a "Switch X" version that has a Ryzen CPU in it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Interesting, I wonder what the likely hood is Nintendo allows us to use our own GPU's like the thunderbolt attachment for Razer laptops etc. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh, keep in mind guys.. RAM limitations of the system. It  probably has 4GB. I doubt you can expand RAM via Thunderbolt.

So 4k on a 1060 and 4gb of ram? Even for Nintendo games that's just not happening let alone 3rd party games. I think they'll probably will call beefed up 1080p upscaling "4k" if they try to target 4k specifically at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I think they'll probably will call beefed up 1080p upscaling "4k" if they try to target 4k specifically at all.

Your 4K TV will automatically upscale anything to 4K anyway.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your 4K TV will automatically upscale anything to 4K anyway.

No I don't believe so.....

Knows too much..*dials number*...Yes I need clean up job on JoostinOnline, sending you coordinates right now move Team Bravo into position right away

I really don't think that is the case but we'll see friend.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

No I don't believe so.....

Knows too much..*dials number*...Yes I need clean up job on JoostinOnline, sending you coordinates right now move Team Bravo into position right away

I really don't think that is the case but we'll see friend.

I don't mean it looks better.  There's no AA or other effects.  It's just that it needs to do it in order to show on all the pixels.  The only way to prevent it from upscaling is if it only shows on a fraction of the TV (would be half the pixels I believe, but I'm too lazy to check).

25 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't mean it looks better.  There's no AA or other effects.  It's just that it needs to do it in order to show on all the pixels.  The only way to prevent it from upscaling is if it only shows on a fraction of the TV (would be half the pixels I believe, but I'm too lazy to check).

I realize but if you have pixelation before you upscale then that's gonna be blown up as well and hurt quality. If you take the crispiest 1080p images you can get before blowing it up to 4k many undiscerning people (As it is the case with console fans) will think that the console is running 4k and looks great when it's simply, 2 very different quality of 1080p images. Like this:

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I realize but if you have pixelation before you upscale then that's gonna be blown up as well and hurt quality. If you take the crispiest 1080p images you can get before blowing it up to 4k many undiscerning people (As it is the case with console fans) will think that the console is running 4k and looks great when it's simply, 2 very different quality of 1080p images. Like this:

I know.  I was only brought it up because that's how 4K is sometimes marketed.  It was the same with 1080p.  There were adapters for the Wii that supposedly turned the image into 1080p, but it didn't actually improve the quality.  It just did what the TV was going to do anyway.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But it won't need to share cpu and GPU ram if they got is off board. 

- snip-

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If true. It means that the USB Type-C connector is also Thunderbolt. This could explain why, when the console will be released, it will be USB 2.0, and later 3.0

And this could explain why the dock is expensive. It needs the secondary Thunderbolt chip on the other side.

This also means that the cost of the upgrade will be (assuming all true) - $100 (For thunderbolt, marketing and other materials) + Cost of GTX 1060 (or whatever other GPU) + Profit. So that will be an expensive add-on (possibly $200 US). The good news, is that unlike Microsoft Scorpio, or PS4 Pro, you don't need to buy an entirely new console.  But it still $200. And that is assuming Nvidia is giving away the chip... because looking at GTX 1060 today at Newegg.com, the cheapest GTX 1060 is $189.99 US

This also means that it goes again Nintendo sales pitch of the Switch. Which is the same experience (or very close to) on the go or docked at home. It basically means that we might see games that wont' run in 4K, maybe 1080pinstead, will be running well at 60fps on this new dock, but in portable mode, the graphics gets a serious hit, and 30fps.

It could be realized without Thunderbolt. If all computing hardware is in the Dock, like an aditional CPU, GPU and RAM and only the internal storage from the Switch device is used. USB 3.x should be fast enough for loading the Operating System. But it would problematic for Docking the Switch off.

Waiting for delivery: i7-6700HQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 | Acer Predator 17 G9-793 | 2x 8GB Kingston

i7-6700K | MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G | MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair Carbide Air 540 black
i7-2600K | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | MSI Z68A-GD65 | 4x 8GB HyperX | Corsair Carbide Air 540 white
i3-3220T | Gigabyte GTX 660 OC | ASRock H77M-ITX | 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX | Bitfenix Prodigy white
i5-3550 | Intel HD 2500| ASRock B75M-ITX | 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX | Bitfenix Prodigy black
Pentium G3220 | Intel HD Graphics | ASRock B85M-ITX | 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX | Bitfenix Prodigy red
i3-4012Y | Intel HD 4200 | Lenovo Yoga 2 11 | 2x 2GB Samsung Chip

Makes sense in my opinion, quite a lot of the time the Nintendo has fell behind because of its lack of 3rd party support, why do they lack the 3rd party games? Because their consoles aren't powerful to just handle a port of the game, they'd need to be dialled down. 

Only thing is, if it's only when plugged in to the dock that his has the power to run these games then you have to question whether it truly is a home console that's portable as you would only be able to play first party games on the go...

quite to a lot of people still went and got the xbone and PS4 rather than a wii/wii u because of the graphical capabilities, they bring the switch in line with the other consoles for when it's docked and boom, you've killed 2 birds with 1 stone

4 hours ago, sof006 said:

Interesting, I wonder what the likely hood is Nintendo allows us to use our own GPU's like the thunderbolt attachment for Razer laptops etc. 

Very little. No one wants a big box. It will probably be a mobile chip with a small heatsink and fan. And you can't connect a Razer Core, as to my knowledge you need Razer drivers. I doubt Razer can figure out a way to make Nintendo Switch OS drivers.

46 minutes ago, Craigathorn said:

Makes sense in my opinion, quite a lot of the time the Nintendo has fell behind because of its lack of 3rd party support, why do they lack the 3rd party games? Because their consoles aren't powerful to just handle a port of the game, they'd need to be dialled down. 

No not really. The problem is that:

• Sales of console are much weaker than competition
  • In the past, Nintendo gave little to no support. You should be considering lucky to even get the documentation in English to develop anything on the system. Nintendo was always treating their console as a toy.. I mean Nintendo was and still is a toy company. So, they made the system for themselves, and if you want to join and make games for it, you are welcomed but you have no real support. You are left alone. Also, getting a dev kit was extremely difficult. They reduced the super high requirement and cost for indies with the WiiU. And that is how you had more indie games on the system then on the Wii.
  • Nintendo had a problem with storage, and consumers not open to spend so much on games anymore. Back in the Super Nintendo days, a AAA game could easily cost $120 (price adjusted to inflation) because the cartridge had additional hardware and/or memory chip. With the N64, a push for lower cost games was in the push, especially that other consoles games would cost drastically less, thanks to optical disk. N64 used cartridges. This meant that compression audio (SFX, music), and video (with audio) was extremely difficult, especially when you needed to make it look nice. So much money for R&D was needed on this. Oh and it had to play with N64 hardware. Not high-end PC hardware. So third party just dropped the N64. With the GameCube, despite a console more powerful than the PS2, the small disc and the continued lack support, made many third party dev not care about it. Which lead to people not buy the system, and the low user base leads to third party dev be less interested.
  • Nintendo never advertised any third party games, unless they were the publishers. On rare occasion they would put a small 1-2sec game clip on some ad mixed with other of their games shown more predominantly. The only unexpected time they did, was on the early WiiU marketing material (E3 and early ads of the WiiU)

Only thing is, if it's only when plugged in to the dock that his has the power to run these games then you have to question whether it truly is a home console that's portable as you would only be able to play first party games on the go...

Nha. In a game, you have something call "Level of details" or LOD for short. Each 3D model has different amount of polygon and texture that the game engine switch to based on the distance of the camera (what you see on the screen). So, further away objects are low polygon count with low textures (especially that you can't notice), and closer object have the most polygons with the highest resolution texture (which is affordable as it hide other objects behind. A common hardware level optimization on GPU, is that anything not visible to the camera (what you see), is not actually drawn. This optimization is nothing new.. this is 90's tech.

So, all they can do, is set all objects LODs to be 1 or 2 level lower. This will reduce GPU demand. Keep in mind that at least for 1 level of LOD lower, most of the reduction is hidden by the fact that the resolution of the screen is 720p. Basically, due to the lower resolution the visual difference between the highest and 1 or 2 step lower LOD is marginally different. Now, they might need to cut down more levels, but I doubt it will affect your gaming experience.

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Assuming the assumption that the Switch can do 1.5TFLOPs, both GPUs can be used in tangent (like SLI), it scales perfectly, and optimization on the Switch is at the same level, or better, than Scorpio.

If any ONE of those things isn't true, then Scorpio has an advantage is the Graphics department, as it is set to pull 6TFLOPs.

Of course, this is assuming that the Switch will be the same steaming pile of shit that the WiiU was, as far as games are concerned.

Highly *highly* unlikely.

The Maxwell Tegra (X1) in full power state does 0.5TFlops and even the Pascal based Tegra (Parker) only does 0.75TFlops. Unless they have a *seriously* beefy custom Tegra in it, the chances of it being over 1TFlop is highly unlikely, much less 1.5TFlops.

Like the Drive PX2 is 8TFlops but it's got 2 Parkers, *and* 2 modified GP106 GPUs. The chances that a down clocked tablet with 1 discrete GP106 based GPU can hit 6TFlops is a bit of a stretch.

If this is true, and i honnestly would not be supriced if they would come out with upgrade kits like this, i hope that this would be compatible with pc's, but first we need to see if this true ofcourse.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No... 6 AMD Teraflops..... There is a big difference, 6 AMD TFLOPs means that the Scorpio is on par with an overclocked RX480, which is on par with the GTX 1060... (Of course assuming that the 1060 is properly cooled)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

31 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No... 6 AMD Teraflops..... There is a big difference, 6 AMD TFLOPs means that the Scorpio is on par with an overclocked RX480, which is on par with the GTX 1060... (Of course assuming that the 1060 is properly cooled)

6 TFLOPs is 6 TFLOPs. The GTX 1060 only sees the same performance profile as the 480 because of how the 480 and GCN as a whole is optimized (most PC games cannot take advantage of a 480 as well as a 1060, otherwise the 480 would be closer to the 1070 in gaming performance than it would to a 1060).

In games, resource on the 480 are being wasted simply due to lack of proper GCN optimization.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I'm sure you can get more RAM from the eShop though.