Nintendo may be working on a 4K ready (GTX1060) addon for the Switch

Master Disaster

How are they gonna do that w/o Thunderbolt 3?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

3 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

How are they gonna do that w/o Thunderbolt 3?

Just because they're using a USB-C port as the base connector for the switch, they can still run their PCIe like connectivity though it on pins that aren't needed if USB itself is only running at 2.0 or 3.0.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Nintendo and powerful hardware don't mix. Nintendo is in their own world, doing their own thing.

3 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

Nintendo and powerful hardware don't mix. Nintendo is in their own world, doing their own thing.

I agree with you, though if they were to tackle VR (they did say they might), they'd need to improve the hardware

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

38 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I agree with you, though if they were to tackle VR (they did say they might), they'd need to improve the hardware

VR is old tech for Nintendo, been there done that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Funny that because Nintendo have had more consoles that were (at least) as powerful as the competition than those that were not.

NES = Was second to the Master System in CPU & GPU

SNES = Second most powerful CPU but much better GPU plus mode 7 and SuperFX (I discounted the Neo Geo because that's just unfair, it was stupidly expensive and basically an arcade machine for the home)

N64 = Most powerful console of its generation

GameCube = Second most powerful behind the Xbox (XB was basically a PC) but destroying the PS2 & Dreamcast

Only the Wii & Wii U have been slow compared to the competition.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

VR is old tech for Nintendo, been there done that.

Virtualboy is love. Virtualboy is life. All hail virtualboy!

Alright, corect me if I am wrong, but why the fuck would I buy a console who performs somewhat good for 300$ it is the Switch, then buy 

"Games-JoyCons, Othe CRAP", only to after all that buy a external GPU enclosure by Nintendo of all people, in order to make it polay better.

And for the sweet mother of god, why didn't they incorporate it in the base in the first place, why the base couldn't have more Ram and another intergrated grapichs, and why should it be a unique nintendo solution, and not a Razer Core or some other variation of the thing and i can put what evre i wan tin there.

This is getting ridiculous and i was on the Verge of buying that, but unless I hear something concrete first I won't!!!

33 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

Alright, corect me if I am wrong, but why the fuck would I buy a console who performs somewhat good for 300$ it is the Switch, then buy 

"Games-JoyCons, Othe CRAP", only to after all that buy a external GPU enclosure by Nintendo of all people, in order to make it polay better.

And for the sweet mother of god, why didn't they incorporate it in the base in the first place, why the base couldn't have more Ram and another intergrated grapichs, and why should it be a unique nintendo solution, and not a Razer Core or some other variation of the thing and i can put what evre i wan tin there.

This is getting ridiculous and i was on the Verge of buying that, but unless I hear something concrete first I won't!!!

That is like saying why Sony didn't release the PS4 Pro on day 1, or the Microsoft releasing the XBox Scorpio. Costs too much. If the Switch was 500$, with maybe 1-2h more of battery life, faster GPU and a bit faster CPU bringing it to XBox One or PS4 performance. Would you buy it?

GPU, RAM, CPU (and battery for the Switch) is what costs the most in a system (aside for all the R&D, marketing cost, profit, etc.)

If you look at the Raze Core.. that costs $500 WITHOUT a GPU inside. All you have is a box, a USB hub, and PSU. So with a GTX 1060 (~$200) that external GPU would cost you $700.. now you need the rest of the system.

Keep also in mind that these are just rumors, and if it is true, it might be released in 2-3 years from now... whenever it can be made affordable.

Personally, I expect that you have this add-on box for existing Switch users that they can get for like $200. Or they can spend $300 for an updated Switch that is faster. Or be for 4K upgrade support, if 4K TVs pick-up... basically avoiding the mistake with the Wii, where it was designed for CRT TVs, and by the time the Wii was released within the first year, 1080p TV were selling like hot cakes.

The Switch is Nintendo's new game. And this add-on will be a DLC.

Seriously Nintendo. Why are you doing this? :(

"an obvious supporter of privacy"