Fiber optic vs. DSL

GigabitXe

Internet type  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• DSL
    • Fiber optic

So, I am debating about switching from 5mbps DSL to 70mbps fiber optic. The reason why I am thinking about changing is because my internet seems relatively slow and streaming videos has become increasingly difficult over the years. Also, my ISP only charges $5 more a month for fiber optic "if it is available". I would appreciate any thoughts/advice for what I should do.

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

DSL isn't bad. I can get 50/10 in my area. Very good. Though since I got fibre I do care that I can download a 3gb Windows ISO in 2 minutes.

The geek himself.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

DSL isn't bad. I can get 50/10 in my area. Very good. Though since I got fibre I do care that I can download a 3gb Windows ISO in 2 minutes.

What kind of magic is your ISP using, DSL where I live at best gives 4-8 Mbps, you will probably get stuck with 0.8-2 most of time.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

What kind of magic is your ISP using, DSL where I live at best gives 4-8 Mbps, you will probably get stuck with 0.8-2 most of time.

Well I live in a city, I also live close to the ISP.

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/index.jsp

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

He says he has fibre

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

seriously, how is this even a question, it's an x14 increase in speed for 5 bucks a month extra, with 70 you can stream multiple 4k streams with very low load times and NO BUFFERING, like what you see with a 480p youtube video on a 5 megabit connection, except it's multiple 4k streams.

35 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

FTTC maybe?

I guess it's still using copper cables for the final few (hundred) meters so you can call it "DSL"? :P (not really...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

I bet you can't, lol

50/8 = 6.25MB/s x120 (seconds in 2 minutes) = 750MB... and that is maximum, likely you won't get 50mbps all the time during the transfer, but even giving you the benefit of the doubt you are off by 4x the amount you would actually get.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

40 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I bet you can't, lol

50/8 = 6.25MB/s x120 (seconds in 2 minutes) = 750MB... and that is maximum, likely you won't get 50mbps all the time during the transfer, but even giving you the benefit of the doubt you are off by 4x the amount you would actually get.

We managed to get it, using dual DSL lines. Then we switched to fiber optic.

The geek himself.

Fiber is the best thing. I don't even have it, but I know that it's way better than DSL.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

We managed to get it, using dual DSL lines. Then we switched to fiber optic.

DSL is a poor excuse for providing internet. It's a dead technology. Simple as that. The utter fact that you have to bond multiple connections together in order to get half of an already outdated port speed standard (100Mbps ethernet) is proof of that.

Connection reliability is horrible, and ping is usually horrible too. 

My native language is C++

22 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

DSL is a poor excuse for providing internet. It's a dead technology. Simple as that. The utter fact that you have to bond multiple connections together in order to get half of an already outdated port speed standard (100Mbps ethernet) is proof of that.

Connection reliability is horrible, and ping is usually horrible too. 

Not everyone can afford fiber, keep that in mind, it's not dead yet. We have at least 5 more years to use it. Plus telephones still use it.

The geek himself.

14 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Not everyone can afford fiber, keep that in mind, it's not dead yet. We have at least 5 more years to use it. Plus telephones still use it.

In the UK, fibre is slowly becoming more affordable. I  pay £35 a month for my package, including fibre/phone line and mobile. For ADSL users they can get the service for free upto 16Mbps or 24 Mbps (can't remember which), and only have to pay for calls and phone line rental... so they're getting the internet part for free basically, but it's still around £19 for the line rental. Whereas I pay the £19 for line rental and get upto 52/9/weekend calls and unlimited mobile calls/texts and 500MB data for £16 extra than just regular ADSL.You don't need DSL for telephones either, there are a lot of people switching over to using a service like VOIP, especially businesses where that saves them a ton of money compared to when they used to pay for like 3+ phone lines... I was thinking of doing the same at my home when I can get pure fibre FTTH in the future, at the moment there's not much point as we still have a phone line for the VDSL anyway. If I had the option I would switch to cable at around 200/50 I think it is, but we are over 30 miles away from the nearest area with cable. My brother lives there, and he gets 200/50? data/phone/tv and mobile for around the same price I pay or maybe £5-10 more at most.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

19 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

19 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

He has a FTTN (Fibre to the Node) connection. It's what is sometimes called "Hybrid Fibre". Basically the ISP runs Fibre connections to the node/DSLAM/remote, then the connection is traditional Copper Pair DSL phone line from the node to your house.

It can in theory offer up to Gigabit speeds (G.Fast), but there is extremely high drop-off of performance over distance. Common FTTN DSL speeds ("VDSL"), are 50 Mbps or 100 Mbps. You don't often find speeds higher then that.

Traditional DSL (ADSL2+) tops off around 12-18 Mbps. Theoretically it can do up to 24 Mbps, but I've never seen that used in practice.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)