In my opinion MS are digging their grave right now

carzacc

Today I saw two different computers running Windows 10 bluescreen in totally different situations, neither of them is mine and they're two of the three computers I've used today.

It's just a coincidence, but it seems like lately windows has been really unstable, I haven't used it that much on my computer, but I've seen PC's BSOD way too many times, I really believe that with 10 Microsoft really doesn't pay enough attention to testing their OS (and a few years ago the video that Barnacules Nerdgasm made explaining how and why he got laid off by Microsoft confirms my theory), I've had issues with it since I upgraded and I know plenty of people that have had issues, this is good in part because the year of Linux on the desktop might actually become reality one day but it might steer people towards Mac OS

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

OS: Triple boot openSUSE Leap Debian Jessie and Windows 10(aka MSX)

9 minutes ago, carzacc said:

Today I saw two different computers running Windows 10 bluescreen in totally different situations, neither of them is mine and they're two of the three computers I've used today.

It's just a coincidence, but it seems like lately windows has been really unstable, I haven't used it that much on my computer, but I've seen PC's BSOD way too many times, I really believe that with 10 Microsoft really doesn't pay enough attention to testing their OS (and a few years ago the video that Barnacules Nerdgasm made explaining how and why he got laid off by Microsoft confirms my theory), I've had issues with it since I upgraded and I know plenty of people that have had issues, this is good in part because the year of Linux on the desktop might actually become reality one day but it might steer people towards Mac OS

Since win10 launched I have only experienced BSOD when my boot (laptop) HDD died, and when I was overclocking. It depends on the person.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Last time I had a bsod was from overclocking my CPU beyond the limit it was capable of. Haven't got a bsod since Vista. So maybe it's not the OS and it's that idiot who need to change their habit on how they use their computer.

PEBKAC

Problem Exist Between Keyboard And Chair

As for Linux to become a Windows alternative, this has been talked about since the early 2000s. After 10 years or so, not a single step was taken to do this, so keep dreaming.

MacOS on the other hand, can be a windows alternative for those who are willing to start from scratch.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

We can all speak only of our own experiences, but the only bluescreens I've had on Windows 10 were directly related to CPU instability while I was overclocking. I've not yet had a BSoD on Windows 10 that I wasn't vaguely expecting to have. I've been using 10 since it was released.

If Windows 10 suffered from frequent and inexplicable BSoDs for everyone just because it's unstable, wouldn't we all know that by now? :P

They do seem to have lost plot recently, but they've lost the plot before and survived. Thing is for most users there is no competition, Macs cost more than at least 90% of the PC buying public are willing to spend, and few outside enthusiast circles are going to put in the effort to learn Linux. 

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Last time I had a bsod was from overclocking my CPU beyond the limit it was capable of. Haven't got a bsod caused by windows since Vista. So maybe it's not the OS and it's that idiot who need to change their habit on how they use their computer.

PEBKAC

Problem Exist Between Keyboard And Chair

Absolutely savage. I must say that I agree with you up to some point xD

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

As I said, I've never had frequent BSOD's on my personal computer since I had a windows 7 laptop that I used to get a ton of BSOD's since it was new, but I've noticed a ton of BSOD's in the last month or so on laptops and other low-powered computers

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

OS: Triple boot openSUSE Leap Debian Jessie and Windows 10(aka MSX)

Im still on 7 and I am staying on 7 until

-The control panel situation gets under control, WHO THE CRAP releases a complete system with such a segmented interface

-They stop enforcing shit on customers, (not enforcing, but making it an absolute hassle to not just let the enforcing happen) like updates, metro UI, skydrive, non local accounts, permission f****ing, driver f***g, lots and lots of f***ing

-stuff actually works, like I am yet to see a single computer, without 1 of the 10 or so inherant problems that windows has, broken start menu, permission errors, unable to fully power off (power light just remains on), uefi firmware errors, start bar lagging out, not responding or vanishing

-I can boot a damn usb drive without the "secure boot" making it a pain and adding in an hour of googling

-oh but it works on my computers, well I dont care. thats not how debugging works. Yes I can get it to work on most of my devices, but windows 7, 8 and 8.1 WORK FINE on all of them with NONE of the above mentioned issues.

-Oh and did I mention windows 10 overwriting my bootloader when windows update decided to upgrade my 7 install to 10 by itself. I had a multiboot partition which could boot 2 windows installs and linux, installing windows  normally will determine the current bootloader space, wipe it, and install a w10 bootloader. GOODBYE TO MY 3 OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

-And the smaller things, like pressing start, typing mouse, clicking a tab and having the mouse size setting available to you. not possible in windows 10, takes a good 2 more clicks minimum, which is the case for every useful damn setting.

-Also stuff is permission enforced, meaning if I save a file into my computer, and then take it off the computer (using a different windows 10 OS, or over the network), the file is locked and rendered useless.

Many many other smaller things, but I just gave up and stick to 7 as thats what all my stuff is already on, and use 8.1 on things occasioanlly

Nah! Microsoft is updating the max out of Windows 10. It will be as stable as Windows 7. Give it a few more years...and 3000+ updates LOL. 

Microsoft always releases unfinished products then patches them over time. 

Microsoft is definitely shooting itself in the foot in different ways. Namely requesting account identification to do basic stuff like using the photo/video viewer or the default Edge browser. 

So a neglected Windows 10 computer may as well be useless in 10 years. It's absurd because everything just works on a Windows 7 computer.

As of installing Windows 10 (which was launch day), I have had 12 BSODs across what is now 2 computers. 8 of these BSODs were while overclocking my CPU (which is quite natural), 2 were right after I switched the motherboard and CPU and got some odd-ball driver errors and the other 2 were due to me fucking about with regedit (which is to be expected). All these were logged and I think I still have the dumps somewhere

My track record with Windows BSODs pretty much stopped once Windows 8.1 came around and I'd put the ranking this way: win10 > Win XP >= Win 7 >= Win 8.1 > Win 8 > Vista.

9/10 BSODs can be explained by looking between the driver's seat and the steering wheel. If not, it's probably a hardware issue created by the user. Not to mention illegitimate copies of Windows tending to break far easier (hopefully by design)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

3 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Im still on 7 and I am staying on 7 until

-The control panel situation gets under control, WHO THE CRAP releases a complete system with such a segmented interface

-They stop enforcing shit on customers, (not enforcing, but making it an absolute hassle to not just let the enforcing happen) like updates, metro UI, skydrive, non local accounts, permission f****ing, driver f***g, lots and lots of f***ing

-stuff actually works, like I am yet to see a single computer, without 1 of the 10 or so inherant problems that windows has, broken start menu, permission errors, unable to fully power off (power light just remains on), uefi firmware errors, start bar lagging out, not responding or vanishing

-I can boot a damn usb drive without the "secure boot" making it a pain and adding in an hour of googling

-oh but it works on my computers, well I dont care. thats not how debugging works. Yes I can get it to work on most of my devices, but windows 7, 8 and 8.1 WORK FINE on all of them with NONE of the above mentioned issues.

-Oh and did I mention windows 10 overwriting my bootloader when windows update decided to upgrade my 7 install to 10 by itself. I had a multiboot partition which could boot 2 windows installs and linux, installing windows  normally will determine the current bootloader space, wipe it, and install a w10 bootloader. GOODBYE TO MY 3 OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

-And the smaller things, like pressing start, typing mouse, clicking a tab and having the mouse size setting available to you. not possible in windows 10, takes a good 2 more clicks minimum, which is the case for every useful damn setting.

-Also stuff is permission enforced, meaning if I save a file into my computer, and then take it off the computer (using a different windows 10 OS, or over the network), the file is locked and rendered useless.

Many many other smaller things, but I just gave up and stick to 7 as thats what all my stuff is already on, and use 8.1 on things occasioanlly

Much anger, such hate, WOW On all seriousness though, I must agree with you regarding all the BS win 10 enforces. Nobody wants stuff being shoved down their throats. However, I tjink the rest is all just nitpicking. You must consider that a company cannot cater to everyone's needs ans use cases. Win10 is built thinking on average Joe, and as such much of the user control is taken away to make it simpler (not better) for the user.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

9 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Nah! Microsoft is updating the max out of Windows 10. It will be as stable as Windows 7. Give it a few more years...and 3000+ updates LOL. 

Microsoft always releases unfinished products then patches them over time. 

Yeah but those products tend to fail until they rebrand the product, given that 10 is a rebranded 8 it is clear they don't know what they are doing, 7 was a rebranded vista fixing the issues and it became the next xp level os but 10 is still a pos

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

27 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Much anger, such hate, WOW On all seriousness though, I must agree with you regarding all the BS win 10 enforces. Nobody wants stuff being shoved down their throats. However, I tjink the rest is all just nitpicking. You must consider that a company cannot cater to everyone's needs ans use cases. Win10 is built thinking on average Joe, and as such much of the user control is taken away to make it simpler (not better) for the user.

I agree with the catering on most points, but the UI design, there is surely no excuse for such segmentation. 
Edit: and the forcing w10 via windows update, taking me a full day just to get my bios out of secureboot, then restore 3 image bacukups I had, then get them up to date, then realising the multi boot didnt work with image restores

1 minute ago, kris2340k said:

I agree with the catering on most points, but the UI design, there is surely no excuse for such segmentation. 

Yeah you have a a point

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

12 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

9/10 BSODs can be explained by looking between the driver's seat and the steering wheel. If not, it's probably a hardware issue created by the user. Not to mention illegitimate copies of Windows tending to break far easier (hopefully by design)

Actually the "illegitimate" copies of windows 10 at least initially were just as valid as the legit ones as the windows upgrade didn't seem to care, additionally they still have driver issues on windows 10 and some bad updates which you cannot opt out off without blocking updates all together so it still is an unfinished product

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I've been using Windows 10 since launch and had almost no game changing issues with it. Similarly with Windows 8/8.1, 7, and Vista (more or less)

I've seen other computers with Windows 10 on them and they don't seem to exhibit problems (but then again, these were built by system builder companies).

So either I'm the outlier, or this is another case of "dissatisfied person will more likely say something about a product than a satisfied person"

While Ill say I dont like the way MS is going. I have a feeling they are trying to lock down their platform. If they do that, then Windows will be useless. I have a love hate relationship with Windows 10. I like the fast booting. I like the new setting menu, it doesn't cover everything but its gets me to where I need most of the time. I like the use of Microsoft Accounts in activation's, makes it easy to reinstall. I feel they made a good choice on sharing game licensee between Windows 10 and Xbox. While I dont have an Xbox, I feel this a great for the people who use both platforms. What I dont like is the spy on users and selling to the highest bidder. The numerous bugs. Im sure almost every one had their start menu stop working before. Then there is the 100% disk usage bug that happens. 

The rumor before Windows 10 came out is it was going to be subscription service. Honestly Im surprised it wasn't. Microsoft is moving from being a software company to a service company. I think they are just going to find more ways to get money out of us. To be honest, I might start checking out Linux when I graduate for University in the Fall, so I have a viable option if MS goes off the deep end. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

"dissatisfied person will more likely say something about a product than a satisfied person"

Case and point me, this is very much the truth but it has always been the truth for all their OSs so if more people are complaining about the newer OS than the old one then their is a problem to some extent, what % of people have issues idk but I don't know a single person irl that hasn't had some issue with it for as little as that means.

It seems most issues can be attributed to the way 10 handles graphics and legacy software, the driver related issues for certain hardware like wifi cards or their lack of complete testing on some updates

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

It seems most issues can be attributed to the way 10 handles graphics the driver related issues for certain hardware like wifi cards

It's been noted driver developers have subverted the driver certification process: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20040305-00/?p=40373

Anyway, similar shenanigans are not unheard of when submitting a driver to WHQL for certification. Some unscrupulous drivers will detect that they are being run by WHQL and disable various features so they pass certification. Of course, they also run dog slow in the WHQL lab, but that's okay, because WHQL is interested in whether the driver contains any bugs, not whether the driver has the fastest triangle fill rate in the industry.

So if a driver developer in this day and age is still trying to cheat the certification process, then of course you'll have driver issues. But they're not Microsoft's fault.

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

...or their lack of complete testing on some updates

Which is, while I would like to say "literally", is practically impossible.

I maintain loads of computers, Windows 10 has been a solid performer for those who have a modern system for it, I use it daily for work and gaming duties, and my girlfriend is the same, never an issue. 

I've my concerns over privacy but then even if you was not on the internet, people monitor your cards when you buy, you're logged on facial recognition near major buildings... people in glass houses etc...

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

BSODs are issues that Windows cannot solve. That means that it is a hardware issue, or a driver that crashed so badly that it screwed up the hardware, and only a power cut/restore can fix (so, system reboot).

Reading the error code message, tells a very good hint to you on where the problem relies.

1 hour ago, carzacc said:

Id say from most of these Posts the Answer is typically best described at the top of the thread.  Problem Exists between the chair and keyboard.

I have not had a computer crash from a virus or Blue screen since windows vista without me directly causing it with overclocking or pulling a plug during update  (i didn't use 8 for more then 2 months dono how stable that was) But i have had at least needed to re install windows on 20 occasions on people who are computer illiterate and it typically seems to just be there fault     

36 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I've been using Windows 10 since launch and had almost no game changing issues with it. Similarly with Windows 8/8.1, 7, and Vista (more or less)

I've seen other computers with Windows 10 on them and they don't seem to exhibit problems (but then again, these were built by system builder companies).

So either I'm the outlier, or this is another case of "dissatisfied person will more likely say something about a product than a satisfied person"

Nope, your not alone. I just get typical PC problems. I never got a BSOD on this PC with Windows 10. I enjoy Windows 10 more than 7 to be honest.

17 minutes ago, Kierax said:

people in glass houses

... sink ships  (congrats to whoever got that without having to look it up)

I've had to deal with so many update-related Win10 bootloops on fairly young PCs (1-5 years old) that I'm just not working on Win10 PCs anymore unless the job involves installing Win8.1, Win7 or Linux. 

Personally I always held off upgrading until the newer Windows was an improvement over the old one.  Right now I'm on 7 and this might actually be the first time where I hang on to an OS until the day it leaves extended support.  And even then I'll probably move to 8.1 first so I have another 3 years hoping for MS to get their < censored > together. 

I refused to upgrade systems which were not sold with 8.1.  If it was a Windows 7 machine I strongly encouraged the user to stick to Windows 7 unless the system was one of the rare ones which were basically capable of running Fallout 4 @ 1080p.  

I find consumer grade computers from PCworld and other such stores are often not capable of handling Windows 10, at least till 10's been out long enough for them to catch up.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.