Google will soon integrate Progressive Web Apps deeper into Android

ComTech14

Original article: https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/02/google-will-soon-integrate-progressive-web-apps-deeper-into-android/

Web Apps delve deeper into android.

“This new Add to Home screen feature is one more step in our journey to empower developers to build the best possible experience for their users, and we are committed to ensuring the same mechanisms for installing Progressive Web Apps are available to all browsers on Android,” Google’s Yaron Friedman writes in today’s announcement

Edited by W-L
Formatting

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

What the hell is a progressive app.

*reads*

*stops reading*

Far too many stupid fucking buzz words for me, anyone can translate?

I think it's something in a website like a game or something that can now be integrated into Android.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

progressive web apps for the progressive left? thats the only meaning i can think with words like this. the marketing team has outdone themselves this time, they confuse tech hobbyists to the point that a google rep can smear them anything.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

progressive web apps for the progressive left? thats the only meaning i can think with words like this. the marketing team has outdone themselves this time, they confuse tech hobbyists to the point that a google rep can smear them anything.

Well Google are a bunch of pansy leftists so they like the word progressive :)

47 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

*reads*

*stops reading*

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

think of it like this: you go to eba y but instead of loading the ebay webpage it loads up the ebay app only without installing or downloading the app on your phone and do it faster and use less data than loading the website

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

think of it like this: you go to eba y but instead of loading the ebay webpage it loads up the ebay app only without installing or downloading the app on your phone and do it faster and use less data than loading the website

how in the holy hell would it use less data than loading the website? do they just cache data for unspecified periods to achieve this? what privileges will this "app" have? this sounds really interesting but also like another security risk.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

an online app that a device can access

it's like connecting to a more powerful device remotely to process data faster or at all

an example of an online web app is gmail and many web services

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 hour ago, tlink said:

progressive web apps for the progressive left?

That'd be a strick word replacer/banner and heavily moderated "safe space" chat rooms: easy to implement I might get into the progressive apps business.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Oh....so very invasive of my limited phone memory? Gotcha.

No but kidding aside seems like a good idea to get rid of all of the "apps" that are just websites compiled to run without the browser a.k.a. glorified, space consuming bookmarks.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Does this fit the Tech News format?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Sniper_Killshot said:

Progressive Web Apps

you mean "liberal" communist apps?! :|

f2857d84dbe0872ba8782f54973f94d9.jpg

I read the google pamphlet and fuck if I understand what they want with it; do they mean Java Applet?

but that name tho ...

46 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Does this fit the Tech News format?

yes but some geniuses forgot to make sure it meets posting guidelines.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

But, what will happen to my auto insurance? Don't make me talk to the gecko! No. NO. NOOO!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

*reads*

*stops reading*

TLDR: essentially, we can finally stop yammering about a forum app, because they could make a mobile theme that hooks into android like an app, but is just a webpage with the appropriate hooks.

it's very, *VERY* boring on paper, but has a lot of possibilities. (and exploits, prepare uranus for the exploits...)

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

*reads*

*stops reading*

So, more autistic screeching from the Bourgeoisie, about the Bourgeoisie? That's what I assume it is.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Progressive Web apps" is just a fancy word for websites which hooks into Google similarly to how a native program would do. For example, Soundcloud hooks into volume controls. So instead of having to open up your browser, navigate to the soundcloud tab and then lower the volume, the soundcloud website is able to display volume controls in the notification field.

Another example would be to allow a website like LinusTechTips to send push notifications without needing to install an app.

I think paperplanes.world demonstrates it pretty well. You need to open it on your phone though. It will look and feel like a native app, despite being a website.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

So, more autistic screeching from the Bourgeoisie, about the Bourgeoisie? That's what I assume it is.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

The left has never been more honest than they are right now.

THIS, is their true character. Anyone who disagrees with them is less than human and must be shouted, silenced, or beaten into submission. Remember, communists care about what people think, more than what they do. (which is part of the reason I find them more reprehensible than "fascists", nevermind the staggering and utterly ridiculously higher body count they have, compared to fascists)

24 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The left has never been more honest than they are right now.

THIS, is their true character. Anyone who disagrees with them is less than human and must be shouted, silenced, or beaten into submission. Remember, communists care about what people think, more than what they do. (which is part of the reason I find them more reprehensible than "fascists", nevermind the staggering and utterly ridiculously higher body count they have, compared to fascists)

The Fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists.

- Winston Churchill

and let's not forget the recent riot at UC Berkeley because Milo's words hurt them fee fees

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

- Winston Churchill

and let's not forget the recent riot at UC Berkeley because Milo's words hurt them fee fees

He was basically describing "horseshoe theory". Which I think of as less than a theory and more of a fact.

Once you go far enough right or left, you end up in the same place. With one group of people, or person, having all of the power and everyone else being slaves.

On 04/02/2017 at 8:26 AM, suicidalfranco said:

- Winston Churchill

Just call em' commies. 

I'm starting to think of this as less horseshoe theory, and more the difference between authoritarian and totalitarian. And going the recent riots, them lefties and SJWs want to be enslaved by a Totalitarian state ala Brave New World.