What's special about ROG motherboards?

I really love the design of ROG Motherboards over other enthusiast grade motherboards but what else is so special about them? Also i did like to get a ROG Maximus IX Hero soon, will this be a bad choice? Is it worth money?

Tag me @redblade .

2 minutes ago, redblade said:

I really love the design of ROG Motherboards over other enthusiast grade motherboards but what else is so special about them? Also i did like to get a ROG Maximus IX Hero soon, will this be a bad choice? Is it worth money?

they look cool....

Marketing. There's no difference when it comes to OC capabilities nowadays. I just like them because of their color schemes.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Not special just solid build and features tho a bit pricey at times

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Over engineered, and when it comes to intel motherboards, you can pick the cheapest one and still be fine.

-Thread moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory. Please remember to post in the correct subforums @redblade, and welcome to the forums c:

Tag me @redblade .

2 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Marketing. There's no difference when it comes to OC capabilities nowadays. I just like them because of their color schemes.

Well, that's changed for the Apex Z270 motherboard, which is basically perfect for LN2 overclockers. @Lays Are you tempted to get one of those? :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

"enthusiast" = bigger price

what's so special about them?

the price, or the "enthusiasm level"

Marketing. The 'OMGGAMERY' look makes shit expensive. For some stupid reason. Their boards look good, but there is literally no difference on Intel boards when it comes to overclocking (except smaller boards having worse power delivery, something that the IMPACT series used to not have since the stacked part was cool, and LN2 as @TheRandomness stated)

idk

Well i did like to work on a new build im so tight on budget but i really love the Maximus IX Hero. My case is Thermaltake versa n26, it has 1 usb 3.0 and 2 usb 2.0 on top. So this motherboard has usb 3.1 for front. What will i do?

Tag me @redblade .

- OP vrm 

- More RGB

- OC features

ROG Maximus boards are usually in the "More than what you need" category for the average user. I like having more than what i need. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, redblade said:

The short answer is they tend to have more "gamer" oriented features... They would come with above average on board audio, RGB galore (and Asus AURA), typically more fan headers, better included software for various things (I believe one of these things is a RAM DISK software in case you wished to play around with that) and so on. They tend to come with better RAM overclocking compared to the other Asus Boards. Their on board RGB headers in the Z270 series are RGBW headers, thats about the only truly unique thing they have going atm as far as i know.

However, there isn't really anything all that special or unique about ROG boards. you can find most of these features on a lot of boards and companies out there.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

The short answer is they tend to have more "gamer" oriented features... They would come with above average on board audio, RGB galore (and Asus AURA), typically more fan headers, better included software for various things (I believe one of these things is a RAM DISK software in case you wished to play around with that) and so on. They tend to come with better RAM overclocking compared to the other Asus Boards. Their on board RGB headers in the Z270 series are RGBW headers, thats about the only truly unique thing they have going atm as far as i know.

However, there isn't really anything all that special or unique about ROG boards. you can find most of these features on a lot of boards and companies out there.

RAM disks can be done via Radeon RAMDisk, which is a free utility. Nice.. 

idk

I need more expandability for my build and I don't wanna be outdated soon.

Tag me @redblade .

They're really overpriced. The same features can be had at a fraction of the price. Oh, except for maybe the RGB.

On some (not all) ROG boards you have extra reporting hardpoints. voltage jumpers, hardwired temperature probes etc. Basically stuff for the hardcore overclocker, or those looking to dabble in LN2.

Is it necessary? Hell no.

12 minutes ago, redblade said:

I need more expandability for my build and I don't wanna be outdated soon.

Motherboard wise, there isn't much a board can do to make your build not get outdated soon. As long as you have 4 Ram slots (even the most basic boards do) you are good to go for future upgradbility. 

But, don't expect magic. Eventually you will need a new motherboard when the CPU gets really old, and you will need to jump to a new platform. At least it will be a long while before that happens.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

4 hours ago, eLucid said:

That's not true ever since Intel got rid of FIVR. Now vrm quality matters again, obviously we aren't talking about crazy differences on air and water cooling, but in memory overclocking, the boards catering to overclocking have a huge benefit. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 minutes ago, Lays said:

That's not true ever since Intel got rid of FIVR. Now vrm quality matters again, obviously we aren't talking about crazy differences on air and water cooling, but in memory overclocking, the boards catering to overclocking have a huge benefit. 

I was referring to CPU overclocking FYI..

Memory overclocking literally means nothing and nets no benefits other than EPEEN flexing.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

4 hours ago, Droidbot said:

RAM disks can be done via Radeon RAMDisk, which is a free utility. Nice.. 

Yes, but for "free" its only up to 4GB. the Asus ROG software allows you to use as much as you have. They also go on to explain a whole bunch of nonsense which is likely just marketing fluff and probably doesn't mean a whole lot or is already existing on other utilities... I don't really know, I've never used RAMdisk before, but you can look into it here: https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/ramdisk/

Its also worth noting that this software only comes with select ROG motherboards, so its by no means a standard. And there are other software type things that ROG boards come with which their other boards do not... I was merely using that one as an example.

38 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Memory overclocking literally means nothing and nets no benefits other than EPEEN flexing.

Make denial great again!

38 minutes ago, eLucid said:

You do know that your ram is OCed, right? It is just OCed out of the box....

You do know that you also see performance increase in some programs (including games). I think @MageTank would love to have a talk with you

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

42 minutes ago, eLucid said:

I was refering to CPU overclocking as well. Running 5g+ 24/7 on these chips is hard on the VRM, any issues with vdroop or unstable voltages will cause problems.  When FIVR was on the CPU, your statement about motherboards meaning nothing to CPU overclocking would be true.  But we no longer have voltage regulation on the CPU itself, so it's all back onto the VRM from the board.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You do know that your ram is OCed, right? It is just OCed out of the box....

You do know that you also see performance increase in some programs (including games). I think @MageTank would love to have a talk with you

you do know that you could just link him to Magetanks post about memory speed impact?

you do know that doing so would be faster then wait for someone else to grab a link to that thread?

@eLucid

22 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Make denial great again!

What a well thought and informative response. True to the nature of a trump supporter (as I expected nothing less). Take your meme's and gtfo.

On your bike..