What's special about ROG motherboards?

So much misinformation on here. LTT has gone downhill over the last couple years.

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

5 minutes ago, eLucid said:

What a well thought and informative response. True to the nature of a trump supporter (as I expected nothing less). Take your meme's and gtfo.

On your bike..

wonder who votes for the political left :P ?

25 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you do know that you could just link him to Magetanks post about memory speed impact?

you do know that doing so would be faster then wait for someone else to grab a link to that thread?

@eLucid

To be brutally honest, it's negligible. You're deluded if you think otherwise. You're not going to see much gains in gaming beyond 2400 (ddr3) and 3200 (ddr4). At best your minimums will be 2-3 fps greater.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

1 minute ago, eLucid said:

To be brutally honest, it's negligible. You're deluded if you think otherwise. You're not going to see much gains in gaming beyond 2400 (ddr3) and 3200 (ddr4).

DDR4 3200MHz is OCed and so is DDR3 2400MHz....

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Lt.Speirs said:

So much misinformation on here. LTT has gone downhill over the last couple years.

It's unreal. I'm about to ditch this account, my 3rd time/account I've abandoned.

7 hours ago, eLucid said:

To be brutally honest, it's negligible. You're deluded if you think otherwise. You're not going to see much gains in gaming beyond 2400 (ddr3) and 3200 (ddr4). At best your minimums will be 2-3 fps greater.

To be brutally honest, you are right and wrong. Yes, DDR3 2400 and DDR4 3200 are very similar in terms of absolute latency as long as their timings are decent. However, your minimums won't be "2-3 fps greater at best". It depends entirely on the amount of CPU overhead. That's it. In situations with high CPU overhead, you can see upwards of 20% boosts in some titles (GTA 5, Fallout 4, etc) in regards to your minimum framerates. I've seen as much as a 10fps boost to my minimum framerates in very specific parts of fallout 4. In other titles, the boost isn't as great.

I won't try to pretend that the impact is greater than it is, mostly because it depends on the title and hardware configuration. If your GPU is the bottleneck, faster memory won't really help you. People running Titan X's at 1080p to test this, are only showing best case scenario, and is in no way accurate as to what the average consumer will see with faster memory. That being said, some titles are poorly programmed, and no matter the resolution or GPU bottleneck, the CPU will still choke in a specific part of the game. In situations like these, faster memory helps, period.

I believe strictly in price:performance. Z boards cost more, but they allow not only CPU overclocking, but memory overclocking. I would invest in a Z board, and a stock JEDEC kit, and manually overclock for free experience. DDR4 is so absurdly easy to OC, that even the worst Micron IC's in the world were able to hit 3000mhz C15 on a $100 Z170 board. It takes time, but it's workable. As far as IMC goes, I've had 7 Skylake CPU's of varying qualities, from pentiums to i7's, and all of them were able to handle 3200mhz+, so I believe IMC quality won't impact the results unless you seriously get a dud. 

TL:DR? Memory performance eventually matters, regardless of what you do. The degree to which it matters will depend on your hardware configuration (including monitor) and other potential bottlenecks and the application you are running. Memory overclocking is free as long as you have a Z chipset, so don't worry about spending extra money on fast XMP's, and just do it manually. I'll help anyone that is willing to take the time to learn how to do it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

19 hours ago, redblade said:

I really love the design of ROG Motherboards over other enthusiast grade motherboards but what else is so special about them? Also i did like to get a ROG Maximus IX Hero soon, will this be a bad choice? Is it worth money?

It's like dating aN attractive person vs unattractive. Everything  works the same in either case. One just costs more, looks pretty and has added featuree

2 hours ago, dexT said:

Let's bust another myth 

I've been trying to bust that myth on this forum for a very long time now, but often get ignored. The same people that still go around saying DDR4 has higher latency than DDR3, yet my ram faster in every regard (higher bandwidth, lower latency, higher capacity, etc). Misinformation is very hard to kill here. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I've been trying to bust that myth on this forum for a very long time now, but often get ignored. The same people that still go around saying DDR4 has higher latency than DDR3, yet my ram faster in every regard (higher bandwidth, lower latency, higher capacity, etc). Misinformation is very hard to kill here. 

Because 90% of this forum are mindless morons that just repeat what they saw on some random benchmark that 99% of the time isn't even done properly, or they just regurgitate what the other 89% of sheep have been repeating over and over because someone else told them it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

14 hours ago, MageTank said:

When X99 and DDR4 hit people flipped their lid on this board and played mental gymnastics that their memory was faster due to CL. It was sad.