Microsoft won't fix the most frustrating thing about Windows

Do you find Windows Updates annoying?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is it annoying for you?

• Yes! Absolutely!
    • No. Not really.

I initially thought of posting this to the Tech News and Reviews Hub but this is more of a commentary from CNET rather than News so I decided to share it here instead. Yes Windows Updates are annoying and obtrusive as fuck. I get that reason for updates is to keep your system secure by patching vulnerabilities and updating Windows Defender signatures but the most annoying thing is that it will force restart your system or won't give you any option but to "Sleep, Shutdown and Update, and Restart and Update". If there's one thing Apple did so well is the way macOS handles updates, it downloads and installs updates and I can just ignore it without being bothered. I think the open source Unix kernel that Apple uses is better than Microsoft's proprietary Windows NT kernel. And screw you Microsoft! As it turns out they have no intentions of fixing the annoying software bug that is Windows Updates.

No wonder when I was in college my workflow for school stuff is faster on a Mac than on a PC but not because a PC is slower but there's less annoying stuff that get's in your way on a Mac than on a PC. Fine, a Mac is terrible at gaming but for the common tasks, I'm fine spending extra just to have an uninterrupted workflow.

Maybe you're delivering a presentation to a huge audience. Maybe you're taking an online test. Maybe you just need to get some work done on a tight deadline.

Windows doesn't care.

Windows will take control of your computer, force-feed it updates, and flip the reset switch automatically -- and there's not a damn thing you can do about it, once it gets started.

If you haven't saved your work, it's gone. Your browser tabs are toast. And don't expect to use your computer again soon; depending on the speed of your drive and the size of the update, it could be anywhere from 10 minutes to well over an hour before your PC is ready for work.

lost 90mins of work. wish to destroy microsoft. it did a windows update. asked me if i wanted to restart now/later. i chose lata. it ignored

As far as I'm concerned, it's the single worst thing about Windows. It's only gotten worse in Windows 10. And when I poked around Microsoft, the overarching message I received was that Microsoft has no interest in fixing it.

How Windows Update sabotaged me at work -- more than once

It felt like karma.

On September 1, 2010, I sat within speaking distance of Apple CEO Steve Jobs, ready to help liveblog his every word. But my Windows laptop -- a Windows laptop in a sea of MacBooks! -- wasn't quite working properly. I figured it just needed a quick reboot, so that's what I did.

But because Windows had recently downloaded some updates, my computer decided it would be a good time to install all of them. So I spent the next 15 to 20 minutes internally screaming at my PC while Steve Jobs presented the new iPod Touch.

(Yes, it would have been slightly funnier if Jobs had announced new MacBooks.)

Got to customer office, opened my laptop and boom - Windows update... One hour later, only 58% finished #Fail

It was the first of three occasions that a forced Windows update would totally destroy my workflow at a critical moment -- once crippling my computer when I had a hot scoop to share with the world.

Then, Windows 10 came along to add insult to injury.

Imagine this: With no warning, a prompt pops up on your screen telling you that your Windows 10 laptop is about to restart. Even though you know you're about to lose access to your computer, there's not a damn thing you can do about it -- the buttons are all grayed out. If you're really unlucky and Windows is installing a major update, the progress meter may be a tease: once it reaches 100 percent, your computer might reboot a second or third time before you finally get control again.

I've personally seen this -- or something similar --happen five times over the past year.

Left a video expiring over night at 6 hours in 25% and wake up to this #windows #update #fail

And it turns out lots of people have stories just like mine.

Worldwide Windows tales of woe

There's software developer Dylan Beattie, whose laptop decided to shut down while he was giving a talk in front of 200-odd developers in Malmo, Sweden, and found he had to wing the rest of the presentation without his slides. "I wasn't terribly happy," recalls Beattie, adding that he now has a habit of explicitly running Windows Update a few hours before his presentations "just to make sure it's not going to spring any surprises."

How I hate & despise the @WindowsUpdate automatic restarting. AFK for 10 minutes & PC down for 25 minutes updating & online work lost. #fail

Alex Gibson, a 3D printing consultant, says he no longer trusts Windows to manage his 3D printer after his computer forced a restart near the end of a 6-hour-long print job for a customer in November. He tells me he's switching to a Raspberry Pi.

by the way, thank you dearly windows update forced reboot for erasing two days of work overnight

Lydricsama, a digital artist from Finland, says she lost hours of work on a commissioned piece she was working on late into the night, leaving her with a bare sketch (instead of a mostly lined and colored illustration) after her machine forced an update back in October. She tells me that while it was her fault for not saving the document more often, Windows also didn't help: "I had no prior warning before it restarted itself." Luckily, her client didn't mind the delay.

Left my PC for 10 minutes, and I come back to a forced windows update... I sure am happy Photoshop does automatic recoveries -.-

Mark Switzer, who goes by the handle Preheat when he plays World of Warcraft, also had his machine restart at a particularly inconvenient time last month. He was in the middle of beating the game's final boss in front of a live Twitch audience. He says he lost most of his viewers that day, a little bit of money (he's an official Twitch partner), and his in-game reward for beating the boss. "Overall it wasn't a huge deal, just very frustrating to have your computer decide these things on its own," he tells me.

major #fail of #windows10 the windows update function. Keeps deciding when it's ok to reboot machine without me knowing. Lost work x3 now

Alexsander Stukov, an software engineer who spends days running stress tests and cloning virtual machines, says he's lost hours of work to forced Windows Updates on five separate occasions now. "Windows Update is a terrible piece of software," he tells me, but says he has no other choice: "Our customers use it, and we have to test our software on the same environment."

Automatic @Windows update right when you need to get some work done on a deadline and you step away for a minute. So much for productivity.

Then there's Alexandria Seabrook, who says she couldn't complete the online test for a college course this October because of Windows 10 updates -- and whose professor wasn't quite as forgiving as Gibson's and Lyricsama's customers. Busy with midterms, she waited until nearly the last minute before flipping open her Windows 10 computer -- only to watch Windows Update take control of her machine until well after the deadline had passed.

"It was only 20 questions. I could have finished the test on time if it wasn't for the Windows Update," she tells me. She got a 58 on the midterm, and was barely able to bring it up to a C by the end of the semester. "I don't like [Windows], but I'm a college student," she says. "I'm stuck with this laptop literally until it breaks down because I have no money."

Applying updates for 7 min. Then restarting for 18 min. Now 4 min of this.

I'll never get along with my PC.

When I ask my fellow CNET staffers, many of them chime in with stories, too: how Windows decided to reboot in the middle of a liveblog, or an expense report, or while taking notes in the middle of an interview -- or in the airport, right before boarding a plane, without enough power left to actually finish the install. Once, Windows 8 even force-updated CNET editor Stephen Shankland's machine when he was in the middle of a Skype interview with NPR.

Microsoft's response

I know what you're thinking: "How many times do you have to get burned before you get a Mac?" Or maybe a Chromebook. Or even an iPad with a keyboard cover -- anything but a Windows machine that can just spontaneously restart while you're in the middle of mission-critical work.

That's pretty much the direction I've been leaning in recent months. And after hinting there might be a MacBook purchase in my immediate future, I asked a Microsoft spokesperson if the company was doing anything about forced updates.

Here's the statement I got:

Once a machine is upgraded to Windows 10, it will remain current through Windows Update for the supported lifetime of the device, with safety and security, productivity, and entertainment value over time. This is what we mean when we talk about delivering Windows as a service, and it is one of our core inspirations for Windows 10. We'll keep listening to our customers, improving the experience month after month. Windows 10 is an operating system that will run on a range of devices -- from Xbox to PCs, phones to tablets and tiny gadgets -- all of which are connected and kept up-to-date by Windows Update. Both enterprises and consumers benefit. The optimum way to ensure our customers are running the best Windows is to get them the latest updates for Windows 10. Delivering Windows 10 as a service means we can offer ongoing security updates, new features and capabilities - we'd like to make sure people can get access to the latest Windows 10 updates as soon as they are available.

In other words, Microsoft thinks it's super important that you get the updates. "Auto-restarts" are a feature, not a bug.

In fact, Microsoft has been actively getting rid of ways to keep users from disabling automatic updates: in Windows 10 Pro and above, you used to be able to do that from the Group Policy tool. As of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, though, that option is gone. (You can still schedule a restart, but it involves doing a lot of work to change the annoying "ready or not, here it comes" default.)

Automatic Windows update restarted my PC and I lost hours of work in a commission. I want to fucking die.

And while the next version of Windows will let you stave off updates for a 35-day period (if you paid extra for a Pro, Enterprise or Education-grade copy of Windows, which sounds like a moderate form of blackmail), my understanding is that even those versions won't let you cancel an update that's already been delayed and is now about to occur.

In other words: you'll be helplessly watching your computer turn itself off, just the same as usual.

Playing #OculusRift when suddenly everything goes black.#Windows10 decided to forcibly update while I was gaming -.-

Spontaneous Windows Updates are basically free ads for Apple

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate that these updates can help keep my PC secure. It's a heck of a lot better to have Microsoft patching holes in my computer's software instead of having to deal with damage after the fact with third-party antivirus software. (Particularly because the likes of Symantec and McAfee tend to bog down computers.)

And I'm not an anti-vaxxer: I understand that by patching my PC, I'm helping to keep it from spreading malware to other computers, too.

But I think the company has overcorrected with these forced updates. We should be able to decide when to get our vaccines -- not have the doctor walk into our house, grab us by the hair and shove the medicine down our throats.

Two hours later the forced @Windows update is surprise, still working. Thanks for screwing me out of being able to do work.

I think it's time we send Microsoft a message that this isn't okay -- that the computers we bought and paid for with our hard-earned dollars are ours to use whenever we want, not just when Microsoft says so. I need a reliable PC, a computer that's ready for action whenever I need to report on a story, jot down notes from an interview, or liveblog a keynote. Share this story if you feel the same.

Dear @microsoft I need windows update NOT to automatically restart and then destroy my computer, can we maybe work on this functionality

There's got to be a better way of handling these updates. Perhaps by automatically installing them when a PC and its owner are both asleep? That's what college freshman Alexandria Seabrook suggested, right after she told me how furious she was with her Windows machine. Or maybe Microsoft could take a page out of the Apple and Android playbooks and let users decide when to update.

I generally like Windows. But if I can't find a Windows PC that's always ready for work, my next computer will be a Mac.

Edited by hey_yo_
Copied the entire article to fix formatting issues

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Quite literally have never run into this.

I have even tried to replicate the issues that people claim including the ones the OP mentions and could not get it to happen. 

I have found that each time windows will not not re-boot to update while my system was active.

I still call BS. :| 

*Edit

OP fix (crop) your photos to make better use of the posting space [format]. It looks better that way ... there are tons of huge empty white that are as big as 2 pages ... :| 

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You cast it in a PC vs Mac light, but I don't see why. Anyone can run Linux or stay with Windows by upgrading to Windows 7.

DEVS PLEASE BRING MORE GAMES TO LINUX!

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Quite literally have never run into this.

I have even tried to replicate the issues that people claim including the ones the OP mentions and could not get it to happen. 

I have found that each time windows will not not re-boot to update while my system was active.

I still call BS. :| 

*Edit

OP fix (crop) your photos to make better use of the posting space [format]. It looks better that way ... there are tons of huge empty white that are as big as 2 pages ... :| 

I've had my W10 computer restart several times while gaming and while encoding a video. I've lost several video encodes and had to start from scratch (10 hours down the drain) because Windows decides to restart while under 100% load. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On one hand, sure, Microsoft needs to not force updates by scheduling a restart.

On the other hand, why aren't you saving your work every five minutes? I've caught myself pressing CTRL+S in a file explorer after making a change out of habit.

See above. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I've had my W10 computer restart several times while gaming and while encoding a video. I've lost several video encodes and had to start from scratch (10 hours down the drain) because Windows decides to restart while under 100% load. 

See above. 

Okay, fair enough.

38 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

*Edit

I tried but it butchered everything. For that I'm very sorry. I'l try again.

37 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You cast it in a PC vs Mac light, but I don't see why. Anyone can run Linux or stay with Windows by upgrading to Windows 7.

Sorry but no Kaby Lake support.

However, I am going to contend one thing: I haven't had Windows suddenly restart on me because of an update. Most of the time it updates, it's because I initiated it. Then again I run with Windows 10 Pro and made an effort to poke around in the options menu to tailor as much as I can how Windows behaves when it wants to update.

And also this: http://lifehacker.com/prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-restarting-your-p-1723647582

So maybe it's really there. Maybe it should be the default option. But I'm not thoroughly convinced the only option is automatically restarting.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

However, I am going to contend one thing: I haven't had Windows suddenly restart on me because of an update. Most of the time it updates, it's because I initiated it. Then again I run with Windows 10 Pro and made an effort to poke around in the options menu to tailor as much as I can how Windows behaves when it wants to update.

And also this: http://lifehacker.com/prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-restarting-your-p-1723647582

So maybe it's really there. Maybe it should be the default option. But I'm not thoroughly convinced the only option is automatically restarting.

I'm pretty sure you can only schedule an update to restart within a few days. That requires you to realize there is an update...which means that I'd have to check to see if there is an update pending a restart before I do anything important. Which is still a pain in the ass. 

And I'm pretty sure only Pro users can defer updates. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm pretty sure you can only schedule an update to restart within a few days. That requires you to realize there is an update...which means that I'd have to check to see if there is an update pending a restart before I do anything important. Which is still a pain in the ass. 

And I'm pretty sure only Pro users can defer updates. 

I think I've gotten notices that an update is pending.

Also defer updates only means feature updates. Security patches always download when they're available.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think I've gotten notices that an update is pending.

Also defer updates only means feature updates. Security patches always download when they're available.

You get a notification, but you can easily miss that notification. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Sucks for the rest of us who uses Windows 10 Home. 

Sucks for older people and other PC users who aren't Pro's. What bothers me the most is that Microsoft won't fix the obtrusiveness of their updates. When I used a Mac years ago I never had that annoying issue. 

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I've had my W10 computer restart several times while gaming and while encoding a video 

See above. 

In my experience (unfortunately I am not home so I can't screen shot this and next time I will try to remember when it happens) all my restarts were in my information center for me to acknowledge as scheduled or if I wanted to, delay the restart. I have been running Windows 10 Preview and Official release since the release of the Preview and only in 2 builds that I cant recall were there a "forced" restart that I could not prevent and this was before the Official Release build.

This forced restart thing is an odd deal. I am not saying it does not happen sporadically or sparsely (because we all know there are things that just happen) but I am saying it does not happen to the extent that people claim it to be. Your post makes the claim that this is epidemic with the Windows 10 platform and that I call BS on.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This is probably the only update that doesn't require a Restart.

update.PNG

I upgraded to Pro so I could block automatic updates.  Then literally 3 days later they released the Anniversary Edition, which blocked that method.

They also disabled the ability to skip the Lock Screen.  You know, because that was like a total security flaw or something.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You get a notification, but you can easily miss that notification. 

Except when my notification icon thing says there's something here. Unless you removed that from your notification area.

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Sucks for the rest of us who uses Windows 10 Home.

What I linked did not specifically say it was for 10 Pro only. I only mentioned it because that's what I run with.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They also disabled the ability to skip the Lock Screen.  You know, because that was like a total security flaw or something.

You can skip it still. I did it with the AU version when I was finding things to eliminate. It's hacky though.

Ultimately the problem Microsoft has is they have a widely used operating system and people poke for holes every minute. If a user fails to apply a security patch and they get hosed when something exploits that problem, naturally they'll blame Microsoft and their OS for having crappy security.

Most of Microsoft's userbase is stupid. They need their hand held. The only problem is Microsoft doesn't give an easy way to take the training wheels off.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

In my experience (unfortunately I am not home so I can't screen shot this and next time I will try to remember when it happens) all my restarts were in my information center for me to acknowledge as scheduled or if I wanted to, delay the restart. I have been running Windows 10 Preview and Official release since the release of the Preview and only in 2 builds that I cant recall were there a "forced" restart that I could not prevent and this was before the Official Release build.

This forced restart thing is an odd deal. I am not saying it does not happen sporadically or sparsely (because we all know there are things that just happen) but I am saying it does not happen to the extent that people claim it to be. Your post makes the claim that this is epidemic with the Windows 10 platform and that I call BS on.

If there are always alerts that it's going to restart, then they are easy to miss. I've had my computer restart several times during "off hours" -- a lot of that time I wasn't even at my computer -- I left an encode running over night or something. 

Also, it's not super uncommon for me to leave a queue of pending tasks to run and then not even look at my computer for days. So in that event there would be no chance for me to prevent a restart. 

Also remember that notifications don't always appear -- for example, if you're in a game. I've had Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 all restart on me while I'm in the middle of playing a game because the notification doesn't pull focus from the game. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can skip it still. I did it with the AU version when I was finding things to eliminate. It's hacky though.

Link?  The registry hack I was using no longer works.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

This is really getting annoying to be honest. One time I was dropped on a CSGO competitive game because my PC was downloading updates and as a result, I got a high ping and got disconnected, twice on two separate competitive games and resulted me a 2 hour ban in competitive mode. JUST GREAAAAAT!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, FRN said:

This is really getting annoying to be honest. One time I was dropped on a CSGO competitive game because my PC was downloading updates and as a result, I got a high ping and got disconnected, twice on two separate competitive games and resulted me a 2 hour ban in competitive mode. JUST GREAAAAAT!

I'm now starting to think that the reason why the WAN show is always late is because Windows is taking its sweet time in finishing updates.xD

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Link?  The registry hack I was using no longer works.

Probably patched by the Anniversary update. The mere fact that that Microsoft won't fix the annoying update system means they don't want their users from delaying update installations.

14 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I think as long as you use a Microsoft Account instead of a Local account, you can't skip the lock screen. 

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think as long as you use a Microsoft Account instead of a Local account, you can't skip the lock screen. 

I was able to skip lock screen even with my Microsoft account logged in on my PC. Cant remember what I did to achieve that.

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm now starting to think that the reason why the WAN show is always late is because Windows is taking its sweet time in finishing updates.xD

Maybe. But WAN show is always late even before the Anniversary update came. LOL. They're never on time.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I was able to skip lock screen even with my Microsoft account logged in on my PC. Cant remember what I did to achieve that.

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Maybe. But WAN show is always late even before the Anniversary update came. LOL. They're never on time.

Microsoft has (Anniversary Update) and is improving this (Creators Update).

The option to define Active Hours are there. And setup Windows maintenance schedule is also there.

Also, the problem with "update and leave", is that huge amount of people,including companies computers, don't restart their system, ever. So, it has to happen.

Why can't Windows follow the simple yet effective way of updating their OS like what Google has implemented in its Pixel line? Dedicate a specific internet bandwidth that will not affect current tasks so that when the time comes, the user can update the OS without the hassle of being interrupted while you're on a critical task or game for that matter. But I digress, whether they choose to fix this or not, we're still stuck with Windows because MacOS still isn't the best OS around. And its cheap.