Microsoft won't fix the most frustrating thing about Windows

Do you find Windows Updates annoying?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is it annoying for you?

• Yes! Absolutely!
    • No. Not really.

14 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If there are always alerts that it's going to restart, then they are easy to miss.

The alerts are always stacked up in your action center for you to review. Your off hours is the preferred time for the restarts to happen.

I've had my computer restart several times during "off hours" -- a lot of that time I wasn't even at my computer -- I left an encode running over night or something. 

Also, it's not super uncommon for me to leave a queue of pending tasks to run and then not even look at my computer for days. So in that event there would be no chance for me to prevent a restart.

I fold on my machine so I am with you there but as I mentioned it should not restart if the machine is active so I find this odd. I had to restart my machine today because the last update I received 3 days ago was not happy as the system was folding and active so the update hadn't completed with the required restart 3 days later ... *shrugs*

Also remember that notifications don't always appear -- for example, if you're in a game. I've had Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 all restart on me while I'm in the middle of playing a game because the notification doesn't pull focus from the game. 

Agrees the pop ups don't always appear, so I make a mental note to check the action center every so often to make sure I haven't missed anything.

I wonder if there is a corrupted code in your system that prevents it from recognizing that the system is active.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft has (Anniversary Update) and is improving this (Creators Update).

The option to define Active Hours are there. And setup Windows maintenance schedule is also there.

Also, the problem with "update and leave", is that huge amount of people,including companies computers, don't restart their system, ever. So, it has to happen.

active hours.PNG

The problem is that Windows 10 assumes when I set the active hours I won't shutdown the PC within those hours. The only options I got then are "Sleep, Shutdown and Update, & Restart and Update". This just defeats the purpose of active hours. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

20 minutes ago, FRN said:

Why can't Windows follow the simple yet effective way of updating their OS like what Google has implemented in its Pixel line? Dedicate a specific internet bandwidth that will not affect current tasks so that when the time comes, the user can update the OS without the hassle of being interrupted while you're on a critical task or game for that matter. But I digress, whether they choose to fix this or not, we're still stuck with Windows because MacOS still isn't the best OS around. And its cheap.

Much different platform bud. Buuuut since you mention that;

Microsoft is working on an implementing in the Preview their UUP (Unified Update Platform) the will

We have converged technologies in our build and publishing systems to enable differential downloads for all devices built on the Mobile and PC OS. A differential download package contains only the changes that have been made since the last time you updated your device, rather than a full build. As we rollout UUP, this will eventually be impactful for PCs where users can expect their download size to decrease by approximately 35% when going from one major update of Windows to another. We’re working on this now with the goal of supporting this for feature updates after the Windows 10 Creators Update; Insiders will see this sooner.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/03/introducing-unified-update-platform-uup/#o4uL4Kk7oOXmAXFw.97

Pretty much the process is supposed to reduce the amount of restarts with exception to certain essential updates that would obviously need an update.

Edited by SansVarnic
added source link

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Much different platform bud. Buuuut since you mention that;

Microsoft is working on an implementing in the Preview their UUP (Unified Update Platform) the will

Pretty much the process is supposed to reduce the amount of restarts with exception to certain essential updates that would obviously need an update.

Yes different platform but the logic stays the same. Their engineer wont take that long to figure out something like that. Hope this UUP would be the answer to this problem.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

2 minutes ago, FRN said:

Yes different platform but the logic stays the same. Their engineer wont take that long to figure out something like that. Hope this UUP would be the answer to this problem.

So far it seems to be working alright on my Preview system. :) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

34 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Probably patched by the Anniversary update. The mere fact that that Microsoft won't fix the annoying update system means they don't want their users from delaying update installations.

I was talking about the lock screen.  Apparently they didn't like people saving a couple seconds during boot up.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Link?  The registry hack I was using no longer works.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I was talking about the lock screen.  Apparently they didn't like people saving a couple seconds during boot up.

http://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-or-remove-windows-10-lock-screen/ (Read this thoroughly). This only disables the lock screen when you lock the computer. It does not disable the initial need to press something to get to the login prompt after rebooting. If you really want to "save a couple of seconds", set up an automatic login.

But if you really just don't care for it:

http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-fun-tip-disable-login-screen-and-lock-screen-and-enable-console-mode/

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-or-remove-windows-10-lock-screen/ (Read this thoroughly). This only disables the lock screen when you lock the computer. It does not disable the initial need to press something to get to the login prompt after rebooting. If you really want to "save a couple of seconds", set up an automatic login.

But if you really just don't care for it:

http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-fun-tip-disable-login-screen-and-lock-screen-and-enable-console-mode/

I might do that.  What really annoys me is that Microsoft disabled the option for no apparent reason.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440