AT&T Shuts Down 2G Network

Guest Kloaked
23 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

they did this in AU

my grandpa literally wondered why his phone didn't work for an entire month and eventually realised that he had a text from the carrier saying 'The 2G network is shutting down soon - claim your free phone and upgrade to the 3G network today!'. Applied for it online using his terrible Pentium 4 + 512MB machine, and it arrived in the mail a week later. 

That's how you do it in style bois

Those P4 days. OMG. Takes 10 minutes to load up Windows Vista. xD 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

But but...what about those with their old Nokia bricks? Those things never die, and get reception where current phones go "fuck this shit". (For that matter, the batteries never seem to wear to the point of being useless eitehr).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

RIP Apple 2G hipsters.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why should ATT spend millions maintaining the 2G network? When it's replacement is being replaced.  Why should ATT throw away money to keep a very small portion of its revenue stream happy? 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Why should ATT spend millions maintaining the 2G network? When it's replacement is being replaced.  Why should ATT throw away money to keep a very small portion of its revenue stream happy? 

Because the iPhone 7 offers nothing over the first-gen iPhone.

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

My first-gen iPhone works better than the iPhone 7.

Congrats?

In terms of what aspect? 

This thread is nothing but a troll thread by you.

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Glad you understand business models.

Nevermind, read into the OP more....

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Congrats?

In terms of what aspect? 

This thread is nothing but a troll thread by you.

I can play Angry Birds and post photos to Photobucket for my grandchildren, and make phone calls. That's all anyone needs to do on a phone.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Their are other phones on the market and it's not like this is a surprise, it was a 4 year plan. Sorry but it makes no sense to keep old outdated experience to maintain infrastructure up. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Their are other phones on the market and it's not like this is a surprise, it was a 4 year plan. Sorry but it makes no sense to keep old outdated experience to maintain infrastructure up. 

Dont even bother. He just a troll. Its not like he understands how much money it takes to maintain any network.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Dont even bother. He just a troll. Its not like he understands how much money it takes to maintain any network.

Pst, the 2G network simply operates at a different frequency from 3G and 4G, and all from the exact same towers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

22 minutes ago, Thony said:

Not sure u are joking or serious. 

How is the sarcasm not painfully obvious?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm okay with this. 2G sucks anyways. Just convert that 2G spectrum into LTE. T-Mobile and Verizon are planning on doing the same thing. In fact, T-Mobile has been doing this for a while now, but they still have 2G up in some areas. 

COMIC SANS

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Pst, the 2G network simply operates at a different frequency from 3G and 4G, and all from the exact same towers.

They also wanted too free to the bands to develop their current 4g and future 5g networks. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

But I'll have to pay a contract with Verizon to get a new phone for "free". The iPhone 7 doesn't do anything new over the first-gen iPhone, like I said previously. It's a scam. 

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

But I'll have to pay a contract with Verizon to get a new phone for "free". The iPhone 7 doesn't do anything new over the first-gen iPhone, like I said previously. It's a scam. 

SARCASM PEOPLE! 

THIS IS SARCASM.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

SARCASM PEOPLE! 

THIS IS SARCASM.

You'd think people would have at least some sense of self-awareness.

"Hey, that guy sounds like me when I'm bitching about <company> releasing a new product annually that makes previous <product> obso- OH!"

I find this odd as two days ago they were trying to get my dad to change phone plans where after 25gb usage the data drops to 2g.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I find this odd as two days ago they were trying to get my dad to change phone plans where after 25gb usage the data drops to 2g.

It drops to 2g speeds, not to the 2g network.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

It drops to 2g speeds, not to the 2g network.

I probably should have thought for half a second more before commenting aha. makes perfect sense.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

7 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You'd think people would have at least some sense of self-awareness.

"Hey, that guy sounds like me when I'm bitching about <company> releasing a new product annually that makes previous <product> obso- OH!"

Well you did a good job make it seem like an actual person that would actually bitch about this discontinuation.

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

I probably should have thought for half a second more before commenting aha.

You and everyone else taking me seriously in this thread ;)

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well you did a good job make it seem like an actual person that would actually bitch about this discontinuation.

I thought it would be super obvious but I guess people didn't read my entire opening post.

19 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I can play Angry Birds and post photos to Photobucket for my grandchildren, and make phone calls. That's all anyone needs to do on a phone.

That's what you think. 

*renders 3d on the phone*

On a serious note, I support the move only if coverage remains unchanged. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…