are you buying the nintendo switch ?

are you buying the nintendo switch  

69 members have voted

1. 1. are you buying the nintendo switch?

• yes
    • no
    • buy after price drop

6 minutes ago, skywake said:

A couple of years down the line if the Switch does well you just know there's going to be a Switch Lite, Switch Mini or Switch Pocket. It's going to happen.

I'd like your crystal ball, that way we can see if Ryzen will actually pose a threat to Intel or not.

But in all seriousness, I don't see that happening. The guts would have to be the same but with a smaller battery. Sure, I'd love to buy a Switch that only has 1 hour of battery life. That's also not addressing the issue that it either needs to have its own dock and JoyCons, or you'll have to buy a bunch of converters. Or they'll do a New 3DS where they only give you the new console, expecting you to have everything else. And then buy converters.

I was considering buying a Switch if Nintendo managed to meet certain expectations I have, but so far most of my hopes have been dashed. I'll see how things look in a couple of months or longer, but right now I'm not feeling like anything I've seen justifies the cost, or the hoops I'd have to jump through with the Nintendo/console ecosystem.

@M.Yurizaki

I think you're dismissing the possibility of it too quickly. The dock itself is just USB Type C, there's nothing particularly fancy going on. No reason why a smaller Switch couldn't have its own dock or even fit into the same dock. Same thing with your point about battery life and spec. Processors get more and more efficient every year why would the same not be true for the Switch? I'm fairly sure that most of the internals of the Switch are pretty much just battery anyways.

In terms of the Joycons well that's potentially a bit trickier. But at the same time I don't see any reason why a smaller SKU couldn't have those control sections attached. I think it's far more likely that we see a Switch revision than some kind of "true" 3DS successor. Like it or not the 3DS is getting pretty old and I'm sure Nintendo would love to develop for just one platform. So if the Switch does well and the 3DS continues to slow they'll find a way to replace the 3DS with the Switch. With or without the "Pocket Switch".

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Canceled my preorder and used the cash for Overwatch

I do believe in a god: Libertina, the goddess of the sea, apple pie, certain types of ice cream and short bits of string.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:13 AM, skywake said:

the "Pocket Switch".

... Switch Blade? 

... Auto Switch? 

Oh --   Lite Switch.   Duh. 

26 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

... Switch Blade? 

... Auto Switch? 

I prefer clapper switch.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, TheBestUserName said:

... Switch Blade? 

... Auto Switch? 

I've already run into multiple bad search results trying to search for Switch related stuff. I'm with you, if they make a revision it better be something even worse

I am getting it, but not on day 1. Why?

• $400 Canadian is difficult buy. Yes yes, our currency went down to the toilet, so it is $100 more than the U.S, but then again, my wage didn't increase to reflect that (obviously). So things, as a consumer, costs more.. lots more. Food is more expensive, stuff for the computer is more expensive, and pretty much everything else, if not now, they'll adjust after. So I need A LOT of justifications.
  • It will be impossible to get on day 1, or month one, or even after 3 month, regardless. So even if I wanted to, I would not be able to. By that time, more games will be released, and justify more this ~$650 purchase (console + 2x games ($80 each) + taxes).
  • Towards the end of the year, you perfectly know that there will be a bundled game with the system. You know you'll have it bundled with Zelda or 1-2-Switch. Although, it might be hard to get.. so I'll have to jump in the moment the bundle(s) is/are released.

[update]

Costco sometimes do their own bundles with consoles. For example the PS4 and XBox One have a bundled game (a good game) and an extra controller, for a bit more than the normal price. So, if I see one those custom bundle at an interesting price and in stock (of course), I might get it before.

[/update]

Here is an interesting video I found (although long, but interesting). What I like about it, is there different perspective in evaluating it.

I would love to buy one but that 400 CAD price tag is hard to swallow. Even if I got my job confirmed - which I hope, I don't have that much disposable money. I still have student loans to pay off and god knows QC taxes are awful. (15%)

Games are expensive as well. I lookup Zelda Breath of the Wild price. Holy smoke! It cost 80 bucks. That's about a week of food down the drain. :(

39 minutes ago, YongKang said:

I would love to buy one but that 400 CAD price tag is hard to swallow. Even if I got my job confirmed - which I hope, I don't have that much disposable money. I still have student loans to pay off and god knows QC taxes are awful. (15%)

Games are expensive as well. I lookup Zelda Breath of the Wild price. Holy smoke! It cost 80 bucks. That's about a week of food down the drain. :(

All new releases of games are 80$ these days in Canada, including AAA PC games. :(

Soon, we will be using Canadian Tire money again.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

All new releases of games are 80$ these days in Canada, including AAA PC games. :(

Soon, we will be using Canadian Tire money again.

Plus, we gotta pay for online play as well!

53 minutes ago, YongKang said:

Plus, we gotta pay for online play as well!

Very true. I hope the fee will be small per year.

I'll definately be buying the switch plus BOTW and maybe a pro controller plus I get a 10% employee discount which is pretty great. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Still on the fence.

Probably will not buy on launch day, but if a Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Xenoblade games shows up.  All bets are off.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

43 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Still on the fence.

Probably will not buy on launch day, but if a Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Xenoblade games shows up.  All bets are off.

Not if, when. Fire Emblem Warriors is scheduled for Q3 2017 and a Fire Emblem is scheduled for 2018. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is scheduled for 2017, no specific date, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up slipping into 2018. The only one that hasn't been confirmed yet is Pokemon. And for that there are rumours of an ultimate version of Sun/Moon being ported but Pokemon Company has confirmed that they're working on something for Switch.

That said, there's no confirmation of Pokemon, there's no footage of the Fire Emblem game and the trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had a framerate that makes me skeptical about how close it would be to release. So maybe sometime next year the Switch will have all of these things.

5 minutes ago, skywake said:

Not if, when. Fire Emblem Warriors is scheduled for Q3 2017 and a Fire Emblem is scheduled for 2018. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is scheduled for 2017, no specific date, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up slipping into 2018. The only one that hasn't been confirmed yet is Pokemon. And for that there are rumours of an ultimate version of Sun/Moon being ported but Pokemon Company has confirmed that they're working on something for Switch.

That said, there's no confirmation of Pokemon, there's no footage of the Fire Emblem game and the trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had a framerate that makes me skeptical about how close it would be to release. So maybe sometime next year the Switch will have all of these things.

...warriors ain't Fire Emblem, I saw the trailer.  It the same crap like that stupid Zelda Warrior game.

Plus, as you state, it going to be awhile since all those get release.  I can wait.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

20 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

...warriors ain't Fire Emblem, I saw the trailer.  It the same crap like that stupid Zelda Warrior game.

Plus, as you state, it going to be awhile since all those get release.  I can wait.

are you kidding Zelda and Mario is the main reason for the switch, fire emblem is decent at best never liked it. 

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

That's fair enough. If it doesn't have the games you want then there's no reason to get it. I just thought it was interesting that you listed three games you'd be hyped for and they were all games that are just over the horizon. So I pointed them out because I didn't know whether you knew about them or not. With that said, this is a thing you might be interested in on Switch early on. The only problem is that it's doesn't look that big and is coming to every platform:

There arent going to be enough games that i want out at launch to justify the price for me, im going to wait for a price drop and more titles that im actually interested in. Im thinking it will be a year or two before i acutually commit to buying it.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

16 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

are you kidding Zelda and Mario is the main reason for the switch, fire emblem is decent at best never liked it. 

I don't mind Zelda, but I will take Fire Emblem over it any day.  I like my turn base strategy games, really wish for a new Advance Wars.  Next in line is Xenoblade then Metorid.  Really wish Nintendo make another Metorid.   Or....reboot Secret of Evermore.

I actually rather they bring 2D Zelda back.  I still hold Oracle of Seasons and Ages above the 3D ones.  Those bosses and dungeons were challenging.

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I don't mind Zelda, but I will take Fire Emblem over it any day.  I like my turn base strategy games, really wish for a new Advance Wars.  Next in line is Xenoblade then Metorid.  Really wish Nintendo make another Metorid.   Or....reboot Secret of Evermore. 

I'm hoping the Switch (or 3DS) brings another Final Fantasy Tactics again. Square Enix has published some of the best games from Nintendo's library.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm hoping the Switch (or 3DS) brings another Final Fantasy Tactics again. Square Enix has published some of the best games from Nintendo's library.

Oh god yes!!!  Now that is one strategy game that takes me a good bit of time to beat.

Plus, I like the lore in Tactics.

19 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I actually rather they bring 2D Zelda back.  I still hold Oracle of Seasons and Ages above the 3D ones.  Those bosses and dungeons were challenging.

i guess its a matter of opinion, i got the new fire emblem and beat the game in a few hours, i thought its strategic as choosing Skyrim build it doesn't take much. replying 3d Zelda in the pi is lot of fun from the nes and gameboy 2d games to n64 Majora's mask and ocarina of time. old 2d Metroid game are really fun to play. i am really excited to see what they are going to do, truth is Zelda, Pokemon and Mario sell more than fire emblem games. the reason i am buying the switch is the Mario kart, spltoon,Mario and Zelda like most people. 

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i guess its a matter of opinion, i got the new fire emblem and beat the game in a few hours, i thought its strategic as choosing Skyrim build it doesn't take much. replying 3d Zelda in the pi is lot of fun from the nes and gameboy 2d games to n64 Majora's mask and ocarina of time. old 2d Metroid game are really fun to play. i am really excited to see what they are going to do, truth is Zelda, Pokemon and Mario sell more than fire emblem games. the reason i am buying the switch is the Mario kart, spltoon,Mario and Zelda like most people. 

Which Fire Emblem?  Conquest or Birthright?  I know Birthright was suppose to be easy compared to Conquest (I played that one).  Of course, they are still easy compare to old school Fire Emblem were permadeath was part of the game (the new ones give option now).

I have my eye on the new Zelda, but I will wait for more info on the game.

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Which Fire Emblem?  Conquest or Birthright?  I know Birthright was suppose to be easy compared to Conquest (I played that one).  Of course, they are still easy compare to old school Fire Emblem were permadeath was part of the game (the new ones give option now).

I have my eye on the new Zelda, but I will wait for more info on the game.

played both, my wife bought Birthrights i bought conquest, i am a bigger fan of the older fire emblem games.